• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 1443 Wiper Setup

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The wipers in my new cat work but the drivers side on the return swipe finishes down below the windshield. When I turn the motor off they rest on the windshield.

With this setup the motor turns one way and the linkages go around much like they way a steam train turns the wheels. Don't see any way to adjust it.

The passenger side is fine. In life it appears someone bent the linkage to try and limit the range but that was not a good fix. It is the original setup in there and is just odd that it has enough range to wipe the windshield trim and outside body below when on.

Anybody have any insight or experience with this?

teamster

Is the arm length longer on the one side? Maybe someone put a longer arm on the one side. If you take the arm off the side that goes below the windshield and rotate it up one spline or to, does this help or not?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Anybody have any insight or experience with this?

Can you post a photo of the wiper motor and linkage mechanism?

In the Testing "Thundercat" thread I wrote this: We also felt the windshield wiper system could be improved. (We've now done that.)

I suspect your cab width is 48" (outside frame width measurement) so the modification would be different, but there may be some carryover, and if Tucker used the same general system I can describe the operation and adjustments.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_6848.jpg
    IMG_6848.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6849.jpg
    IMG_6849.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_6851.jpg
    IMG_6851.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_6850.jpg
    IMG_6850.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 276

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for posting the photos. They are excellent!

It looks like Tucker used identical parts as far as the wiper shafts and linkage mechanism as well as the wiper motor and transmission. Yours look pristine, BTW. (Though the linkage arms are likely different lengths if your cab is 48" wide.)

In the second photo you can see the wiper motor, and above that you'll see a silver domed metal cover. It's attached with three machine screws and the cover itself has slotted holes through which those screws pass. If you loosen all three screws, you can rotate the cover a little bit.

Rotating the cover adjusts the park position of the wiper blades. There's some trial and error in finding the optimal park position, and it's a pain to get one's body in the right location to reach those screws and turn the cover. I recommend having someone else on hand to help.

The wiper arms are held onto the wiper shafts with acorn nuts. If you remove the nut, the wiper arm should pull off. There is an aluminum splined conical frustum (a cone with the top missing) with an elongated center hole. Sometimes that stays on the shaft, and the wiper arm comes free, other times that part comes off with the wiper arm. If you need to re-position the wiper arm, you can separate the wiper arm from the conical frustum and move it however many splines you need to do so.

If your wiper arms are rotating too far (or put differently the angle subtended by the arc is too great), that too can be adjusted. The fourth photo shows the attachment of a linkage arm to a wiper shaft. You'll note the linkage arm attaches to that wiper shaft with a clip. If you remove that clip the linkage arm can easily be removed. That will reveal the pin the clip attaches to.

In the same photo you'll note two additional elongated holes. If you remove the wiper shaft from the Tucker (remove the nut outside the cab) you'll see the pin used for the linkage can be relocated to either of the other two holes. (It's held in place by a nut that you can't see in the photos.) As you move the pin further from the center of the wiper shaft you will reduce the amount of arc the wipers travel.

In proof-reading my post it sounds complicated, but once you start taking it apart it will be pretty easy.

Good luck and I'll try and answer any questions you have.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is interesting on my setup is park stops it on the windshield . Just when on does it drop below on the drivers side only. Will try a different linkage hole on this side. Looking the wear marks or has been like this forever .

Thanks

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I noticed the defrost ducts on your Sno-Cat. I did not like the way mine did not do the job so here is what I did. Looks terrible but works very well.
I also added the Bosch wiper with delay.

Attachments

• 60 tucker dash.JPG
    60 tucker dash.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
What is interesting on my setup is park stops it on the windshield . Just when on does it drop below on the drivers side only. Will try a different linkage hole on this side. Looking the wear marks or has been like this forever .

Thanks

The wiper switch has "High", "Low" and "Off" positions, but that's not really how it works. If the "Off" position did remove power immediately, the wipers would stop in whatever position they were in when "Off" was selected. In reality "Off" is "Park", in which power is supplied until the wipers reach the park position.

My understanding of your issue is the wiper blades go below the bottom of the windshield, and then as they start their next sequence they stop on the windshield on the up stroke. If you relocate the pin on the wiper shaft, you'll reduce the arc the wipers travel equally on both ends of the arc.

I think you want the wipers to stop on the windshield, and at the bottom of their stroke. To achieve this I believe you'll need to re position the wiper arm(s) higher, so at the bottom of their movement they're still on the windshield, and you'll need to adjust the park position as I explained earlier. What you're doing in making that adjustment is rotating slightly the position of the electrical contacts used for "Park". As the wiper mechanism reaches a certain point it no longer makes contact with electric power and it stops. You are just adjusting the position at which it no longer gets power.

Adjusting the park position won't change the arc, just where the wipers stop within the arc.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Made some progress based on the info provided above.. Got both the wipers on the windshield at park and full stroke. Putting the drivers side linkage in the middle hole was the trick.

Next need to adjust the wipers so more stroke in the field of view. This will move them up a little higher on park toward the bottom.

Still only have one speed. Should there be two? One parks, one stops in the position where you turned off and the other is on?

Attachments

• IMG_6938.jpg
    IMG_6938.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_6939.jpg
    IMG_6939.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 197

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Still only have one speed. Should there be two? One parks, one stops in the position where you turned off and the other is on?

Something's amiss. You have three wires going to the motor. If my memory is right, one wire is low speed, one is high speed and the third is park. Perhaps your switch is not functioning properly, or there's a problem with the motor?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe you are correct. What must be low or possibly high is where the motor just stops. If you manually move the wiper arm it will initiate a swipe. I will get the part number off the bosch motor and see what the function should be.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
More reason not to buy club groomers.

The wiper motor is a Bosch WWC 12K 2610. Appears that it should be two speed so will check the switch first. The one speed works fine for now and only need it if we ever get snow again?