• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Transmission C6 with F300 1981

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Can someone who knows, explain to me how the transmission linkage from the carburetor down to the transmission is adjusted so the transmission knows when to shift into drive from 2. Im not so sure I have the correct adjustment. I run about 2200 RPM and only go about 5MPH on the flat... Just seems the old DMC should go faster than that:whistling:

kendallt

Hold throttle wide open (engine off of course) and see which way the kickdown moves, then then while holding it in the full on position and the throttle wide open, adjust the screw just under a 1/10th of an inch clearance.
There should be a light spring somewhere to keep the kickdown in the 'off' position, if it gets stuck 'on', it will move your shift points up, it's made to kick down a gear or hold it in low gears longer for acceleration.
Check the vacuum line to the modulator, if it's cracked or leaking it will slow your shifts as well, if you have ATF in the vacuum line you need to change the modulator. Most modulators have an adjustment screw inside the vacuum port, can remove vacuum line and use a small screwdriver to adjust shift points. In raises them, out lowers them.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Hold throttle wide open (engine off of course) and see which way the kickdown moves, then then while holding it in the full on position and the throttle wide open, adjust the screw just under a 1/10th of an inch clearance.
There should be a light spring somewhere to keep the kickdown in the 'off' position, if it gets stuck 'on', it will move your shift points up, it's made to kick down a gear or hold it in low gears longer for acceleration.
Check the vacuum line to the modulator, if it's cracked or leaking it will slow your shifts as well, if you have ATF in the vacuum line you need to change the modulator. Most modulators have an adjustment screw inside the vacuum port, can remove vacuum line and use a small screwdriver to adjust shift points. In raises them, out lowers them.

Next time I get to the cat I will try this thank you

tomelroy

check fluid level, maybe change fluid if it has been awhile. check vac line from below carb to modulator on trans. if that does not solve problem modulator could be bad?

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
check fluid level, maybe change fluid if it has been awhile. check vac line from below carb to modulator on trans. if that does not solve problem modulator could be bad?

It was just a tad low on fluid. :clap: