• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need some info and help on Thiokol

dave_dj1

Hey guys and gals, I just found this in my backyard and they want it gone from it's resting place within the next couple of weeks!
Here's the thing , other than knowing it's a Thiokol I have no idea what model or year or it's value. Pleas give me some insight. Also if anyone is interested in saving it from the scrapyard.
It has a Ford 6 cyl, manual transmission, each track is 45" wide.

thanks,
dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for showing us what you have, but please,please do not haul this to the scrap yard!!! I'll take it if you are giving it away:w00t2:

Actually you might do real well selling it to someone on this board or even EBAY would be real good. ResortBoneyard.com is a good place to advertise as well as "Koz's Grooming Talk"

You have a Thiokol Spryte 1200 series snowcat. It is an "A" or "B" model and I'm sure someone will know mare than me on which one you have. I think it primarily has to do with what engine and transmission you have and possibly the model of rear end can be different but hey what do I know. I had a "C" model and it had the automatic trans.

I would think you could get at least $5000 for it and the plow is a real bonus. The rig looks like the perfect yard find to me but I am slightly deranged when it comes to snowcats.

dave_dj1

Got doing some digging and it turns out it was used at Pine Ridge Ski Area in Barre MA.
http://www.nelsap.org/ma/pineridge.html
The ski area was closed on 2006. At the above link there is one picture of the Spryte in all her glory. I wish there were more. Evidently it came from a place called Cranwell. If you look in one of my pics you can the not faded paint that says Cranwell.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
boy I would love to sink my fingers in to that one but the cost of getting it from new York to western Alaska would be a deal breaker even if it were free.

dave_dj1

dds, I can only imagine the cost to ship it up there! I would love to restore it myself but no $$ or enough time.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
it would be about 6 k across country than the boat ride would be around another 4 k to get it out to nome

dave_dj1

Just a little update, the reason it was parked is that one of the rear slave cylinders quit working. Not sure if the hose rotted then or after the fact. They say it ran and drove fine to that point, hasn't been run in 5-6 years.
Tracks are said to have been new when owner purchased it in 03. They do look to be in very nice condition. Manual transmission shifts through the gears fine. I removed one hydraulic quick connect on the front and it was very clean and rust free.
The small (very small) ski area where it was purchased went out of business in 06. The cat before that lived close by at a private school in Lenox Ma known then as Cranwell Prep School (they had a hill to teach skiing).
I'm finding that researching this is almost as much fun as finding it.
dave

dave_dj1

This baby is up for sale, I will answer any questions via pm.
If I get time later I will post some more info in the 4 sale section.
dave

Hey guys and gals, I just found this in my backyard and they want it gone from it's resting place within the next couple of weeks!
Here's the thing , other than knowing it's a Thiokol I have no idea what model or year or it's value. Pleas give me some insight. Also if anyone is interested in saving it from the scrapyard.

thanks,
dave
NO ME FIRST ADDRESS PLEASE? CAN BE THERE IN A DAY OR SO, OR JUST PARK IT IN THE STREET, YOU JUST STARTED A SWARM OF BEE'S SNO BEE'S, GOOD LUCK BUT YA PLEASE DONT SCAP WE NEED TO KEEP! HANG ON NOW i WILL FINISH READING THE REST OF THE POST'S LOL MY BUDDY JUST BUGHT ONE SIMULAR AND NEED FOR PARTS OR ETC.. PLEASE SEND INFO AND LOCATION
THANKS

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for showing us what you have, but please,please do not haul this to the scrap yard!!! I'll take it if you are giving it away:w00t2:

Actually you might do real well selling it to someone on this board or even EBAY would be real good. ResortBoneyard.com is a good place to advertise as well as "Koz's Grooming Talk"

You have a Thiokol Spryte 1200 series snowcat. It is an "A" or "B" model and I'm sure someone will know mare than me on which one you have. I think it primarily has to do with what engine and transmission you have and possibly the model of rear end can be different but hey what do I know. I had a "C" model and it had the automatic trans.

I would think you could get at least $5000 for it and the plow is a real bonus. The rig looks like the perfect yard find to me but I am slightly deranged when it comes to snowcats.
shut up! the guy want to get rid of it are you really? uuuugghhhh
way to go!

thanks,
dave
pre 70's or 70 spryte 1200 1201 1202 series, with OC 12 rear end with drop boxes, tundra wide tracks, should have a 300 inline ford falcon 6 in it, is there a transmission and is it manual or auto? anyway do not scrap! please retain, we or someone will find a way to haul off for you, you say in the next couple of weeks? :wow:that dont give us much time and I think it will take a bit longer unless you find someone local, I am in Washington but will try to find a driver to come get, I have some trucker friends and maybe just maybe I can have one come get! thanks for posting.

dave_dj1

OK, I am thinking about working on this. My first question is, is it possible to cut the width of the tracks down and still be able to drive it? As it sits now it's like 10 feet wide, my goal would be to get it to near 8'. I do know there are different axle extensions (for lack of better explanation) but how available are they and could mine be swapped to someone wanting wider ones?

Just to catch you all up, they wanted it gone because their son was getting married, they ended up just hauling it up the hill to a hedgerow out of the way and out of the scenery.

thanks,
dave

edit: we don't normally get real deep powder or have much steep terrain, I am wanting to use it for snowmobile trail grooming.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the hook is set.

You have officially caught the snow cat bug.

Cutting them down is much easier than uncutting them. I find that knocking the air out of the snow is an important step in making good trails. there is nothing better than a wide snow cat to do that.
Out west that machine is quite desirable. You may be able to sell it. and source a better narrower machine and wind up a few bucks ahead.

$.02 Mike

dave_dj1

Well the hook is set.

You have officially caught the snow cat bug.

Cutting them down is much easier than uncutting them. I find that knocking the air out of the snow is an important step in making good trails. there is nothing better than a wide snow cat to do that.
Out west that machine is quite desirable. You may be able to sell it. and source a better narrower machine and wind up a few bucks ahead.

$.02 Mike

that's a good idea Mike, our trails won't support anything that wide. I would ultimately like a Bombi but they are very hard to come by around here. I did have a line on an Imp but not sure it would have enough power.
thanks,
dave

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
a super imp (model 1450) will have no problem on narrow trails. Mine 1404 has been pulling a 7'6" sno plane drag its entire life and has shown no evidence of failure.

operator must use their head and care about the machine. and stay ahead of the maintenance. Grease gun is your friend.

I had a bombi with a transplanted mercedes diesel automatic, it was a great rig and worked really hard. they are quite small. ram steer would have helped it perform even better.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
having had stick time in a lot of bombies it would be my last choice for any thing other than ski or mushing trails as stated ram steer would help. I feel they are a little under powered and under tractioned the br100 plus seams like a real improvement over the 100 bombie you might want to be on the look out for one of those.