• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Neighbor issues ~ I feel no need to call return my neighbor's call

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
So am I not allowed to have a cow sculpture on my lawn made out of an old junk tank :whistling:

When I lived in the country, we had a neighbor with a concrete cow in their back yard -- it was hilarious, but some of the other neighbors didn't care for it. We loved it. One year we got all liquored up on New Year's Eve then went over to ride the cow ....

Those were some funny pictures.

Keep your cow, Bob. It's insanely American.:clap:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Classic passive aggressive behaviour. I'll bet he calls some local authority (if he hasn't already) to complain about something on your property. I loath those kinds of neighbors.:hammer:

He called me. Said Bob must be one of those cake eating Beta guys. :whistling:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, I like apple pie.

BTW, there are now 3 holes for 3 new bushes to hide the tank. The tank is also a nice green color as of this evening. I think when its all done the tank will actually be barely noticeable because it will be mostly surrounded by bushes.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, I like apple pie.

BTW, there are now 3 holes for 3 new bushes to hide the tank. The tank is also a nice green color as of this evening. I think when its all done the tank will actually be barely noticeable because it will be mostly surrounded by bushes.
That will really piss off your neighbor if he can't see the image of his rage. All that aggravation for nothing.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well damn, I was hoping for more exciting tales of you and the neighbour.

Very sensible Bob.
Good job.:smile:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
"One year we got all liquored up on New Year's Eve then went over to ride the cow ....

Those were some funny pictures."

There is a word for that........ Some places it is even illegal.....:whistling::yum::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
THIS IS WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT :hammer:

Bear in mind I still have 3 bushes to plant around this to further 'hide' it from view.

Photo 1 -- view from the driveway toward the tank
Photo 2 -- view toward neighbor's house, notice how the side of his house has very few windows so he must be peeking out his garage windows to see the tank?
Photo 3 -- view from the road

By the way, see the decorative fence in photo #1 . . . that is at least 6 or 7 feet INSIDE my property line . . . it will be moved to the property line when we are all done with this drama.

Part of the problem may be that this guy put his house on the extreme north side of his property, literally on the set-back line. My workshop, with the new addition, now extends to the extreme south side of my property (I have 600' of frontage and the south edge of my workshop is probably about 40' from the south edge of my property). So despite the fact that everyone on the road has a minimum of a few acres, this is almost 'crowded' looking for our road. Still, I'm well within my property rights and my workshop is very nicely built, as soon as I get the landscaping done and the grass growing it should blend into my property nicely and I can't see any legitimate reason to complain, even if there is a tank in my yard.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 47
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 47
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 46

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What a dump Bob - clean that place up! At least do something about the edging of your lawn along the driveway! :whistle:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I will admit the yard looks pretty rough. Between the excavation to sink part of my yard down 6', the construction of a 200' long berm along the front of the property, the pool construction and the workshop expansion, my yard is a total wreck. When I'm done diving trucks over things the drive will probably be asphalted to match the main driveway for the house . . . but until then its rough gravel.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I think when its all done the tank will actually be barely noticeable because it will be mostly surrounded by bushes.

I believe you are right....until some peckerwood kid pluggs it with his trusty Ruger 10/22 and you put 500 gallons of diesel fuel on the ground and that friendly neighbor does you a favor and calls the EPA to clean things up for you while you are gone.

Did I ever mention why I put my tank that doesn't have a containment tank around it inside my barn? You could always say that your cow, oh wait, now it's a bush, had to take one hell of a piss.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe you are right....until some peckerwood kid pluggs it with his trusty Ruger 10/22 and you put 500 gallons of diesel fuel on the ground and that friendly neighbor does you a favor and calls the EPA to clean things up for you while you are gone.

Did I ever mention why I put my tank that doesn't have a containment tank around it inside my barn? You could always say that your cow, oh wait, now it's a bush, had to take one hell of a piss.
If it's in his barn/workshop, his insurance goes up for all that diesel inside the building, plus, someone has to be home to open the shop when the tanker comes to top off the tank.

As for the 10/22, I wondering who the punk was that was shooting up tanks. The cops will be at your house momentarily.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My ins co didn't care as long as the tank only contained diesel. If it was going to contain gasoline, they wanted no part of insuring me.

As far as a diesel spill, it's not as bad as they make you think. I once read, um, about a guy having an accident with his forklift and happened to knock the filter bung off the bottom of a full tank of fuel. All 550 gallons went through his floor drain and out into his yard behind his barn. It sure smelled for about a week and killed a large section of grass. However, by late summer, all the grass was back and, believe it or not, was definitely a darker shade of green than the surrounding grass. That was several years ago.

Trakternut

A bit late now, but, a concrete plant here bought a large septic vault and set their fuel tank inside of it, for containment. They built a nice roof over the whole thing with plenty of room between the roof and the top of the vault for the fuel man to fill the tank.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My ins co didn't care as long as the tank only contained diesel. If it was going to contain gasoline, they wanted no part of insuring me.

As far as a diesel spill, it's not as bad as they make you think. I once read, um, about a guy having an accident with his forklift and happened to knock the filter bung off the bottom of a full tank of fuel. All 550 gallons went through his floor drain and out into his yard behind his barn. It sure smelled for about a week and killed a large section of grass. However, by late summer, all the grass was back and, believe it or not, was definitely a darker shade of green than the surrounding grass. That was several years ago.
I think you'll find out you''ll need some type of a containment system under or around your new tank. Usually any state that gets federal money has to go by the goverment rules .
A reported spill now cannot be cleaned by yourself. An outside crew does it at big bucks and you have no choice ,they do it. Just an example is That spot your tractor was parked for the last 40 years.That dripped grease on the dirt is a spill and has to be cleaned before any sell of the property .

mak2

Maybe that is why your neighbor wanted to talk to you, maybe to save you some trouble.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you'll find out you''ll need some type of a containment system under or around your new tank. Usually any state that gets federal money has to go by the goverment rules .
A reported spill now cannot be cleaned by yourself. An outside crew does it at big bucks and you have no choice ,they do it. Just an example is That spot your tractor was parked for the last 40 years.That dripped grease on the dirt is a spill and has to be cleaned before any sell of the property .

Don't know what you're talking about. All my tanks have containment tanks around them. That was my first comment to Bob was that no supplier around here would touch his tank without it sitting in some sort of containment setup that would hold a complete spill.

I was just telling you about a spill I know of that happened long in the past and you'll sooner convince me that a cow can jump over the moon than convince me a mild dieel spill will sterilize soil.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

The EPA should have enough to worry about with the tens of thousands of junk yards in this country where I know most of the fluids have leaked out of all the vehicles in them into the ground. One auto salvage place across town from me caught fire about 3 years after it closed and the ground burned for almost 3 days. There ARE some serious issues, but a small diesel fuel spill that will bring in EPA goons in hazmat uniforms like you have serin gas poured out on the ground is a bit over the top. There's more oil spilled at most 4 lane highway intersections from vehicles sitting there, along with a dumptruck load of cigarette butts, than could spill from his tank. I wonder if we can thank Al Gore for some of this lunacy?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I planted 4 bushes today near the tank. 1 is between the tank and my neighbor's garage door view. One is directly to the south of the tank. Another is near the end of the tank but along side. And the last is about 15 feet away but in line with the front of the tank.
I think you'll find out you''ll need some type of a containment system under or around your new tank. . .
The town to my west just put in a new school bus barn. Sitting outside are 3 large diesel tanks. No containment.

All around this area are tanks that do not have any containment.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
no containment is better costwise, but I am surprised on a new install.. It's your land and should be up to you anyway.
I have seen wrecking yards that were bad with oil. But I have also seen spill containment suff at the end of each lane of the parted out autos. I am not sure what is going on.
I know they want any oil soaked ground cleaned prior to listing it for sale. I pulled my under ground tank out. The old inside Standing one was fine without any containment. I have not seen the "goons" come out and they never did but this is what I was told what would happen if not taken care of.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I was on the tractor most of the day yesterday moving dirt down into the old swimming pool hole. The neighbor was out and doing work, most of it along the joint property line. There was a time when he was walking toward the property line and I was driving toward the property line so I shouted out "HI" and waved. He waved back. That was the sum of our interaction.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you consider that it may not be the tank he is upset about? Didn't your SIL move in above the garage? That could be the cause of his angst.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He told my wife that it was the tank.

As for my SIL, it really doesn't matter what he thinks about her living there, that structure is legally considered another house by the county, has an occupancy permit, and is on a separate lot (I own multiple lots). Everything is in code and within the covenants of the property, etc. In fact everything exceeds the covenants minimum set requirements.

SShepherd

Well I was on the tractor most of the day yesterday moving dirt down into the old swimming pool hole. The neighbor was out and doing work, most of it along the joint property line. There was a time when he was walking toward the property line and I was driving toward the property line so I shouted out "HI" and waved. He waved back. That was the sum of our interaction.

See, you're just itching for a fight with him:yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, by being friendly I'm just stirring the pot!