• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gear Drive VS Hydro drive snowcats

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have both ,but which is better for us old snowcat owners ?
I am beginning to see where the gear drives are much easier to work on . To much special equipment is needed to repair Hydro drive units .New pumps for my Hydro drive run about $4000 a piece . OUCH !!!
The advantages are a hydro turns in its own length ,wheres a gear drive must make a circle . I know that the new cats are hydro drive systems . Was this done for ease of location of engine /drive parts ??

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hydros are great for allowing you to use almost any vehicle shape. They work great until they dont work. For guys like us I feel gear drives are the way to go. BUT thats not saying a good low hour hydro cat isnt worth looking into. BUT expect high repair bills around 4,000 to 5,000 hours of use. BUT they do allow you to use any shape or anything you have laying around to convert it into a Snowcat. Say like an old hot tub or even really old bath tub.:rolleyes: