• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Craigslist Spryte

good deal-----I don't need a 5th cat but if it was closer I would be on it-----the drag is half the machine $---------------someone on this site should save him self a lot of trouble and bs. and go buy it-----lol-----just sayin

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I just offered to buy it, I should have sat on the link a little longer, wife said sure!!!

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone need a drag cheap or trade for delivery to western NY? Can't fit both on my trailer

that's a good wife----I have a good wife also----as long as she gets what she wants and I buy it and its not nails or hair do s-----lol

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I get the D-bag of the day award! Going to not buy it, cold feet. Too nervous to go that far to have it be a money pit. This cat fever is a bad disease!
I hope someone picks it up

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I get the D-bag of the day award! Going to not buy it, cold feet. Too nervous to go that far to have it be a money pit. This cat fever is a bad disease!
I hope someone picks it up

Maybe you dodged a bullet...

Snowcats frequently look better in pictures than they do up close. When you do a long distance purchase from someone you don't know there is a strong possibility of buyer's remorse.

The price seems reasonable, but that is no creampuff. "Motor, tranny and rearend have been rebuilt" doesn't mean much without details.

I say this frequently (or similar words to the same effect) but the best value is usually not the cheapest machine.

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Blackfoot,
I'm not sure what came over me. I love the way those Spryte's look, and when my boss (wife) gave me the green light I got a little trigger happy. I don't really need - wait, I really don't need a second cat. I was super excited about it for about 4 hours then I started thinking of the 15 hour on a good day drive one way, fuel cost, potential for additional travel expenses, not knowing what it really looks like, time commitment, what parts are available for it, etc. Dodged a couple bullets most likely. Probably a good cat for the money but I'm just not that big of a gambler I guess. Won't try that again. I have a hard enough time convincing myself that I'm making a good purchase even when I do look before I buy.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Blackfoot,
I'm not sure what came over me. ..........even when I do look before I buy.

:th_lmao::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Someone had to say what you said!!!
no imagine how I ended up buying a Frandee from Pontoon Princess without seeing/knowing what it actually was - as in - she said she had a cat - one that more or less fits my criteria - but I cant know/see what it was until I agree to actually buy it... LOL...

in Russia, we have a saying - "he who doesnt risk, doesnt drink champagne!" :)

In any case, this was one of the machines I've looked into buying/getting myself as well, main reason - too far from us in PNW, otherwise, I would come out and look at it and probably bargain with the guy until I get the price I think is good... (in any case, anything that far from Oregon, got to be a REALLY good deal)...

Its okay, cats are out there, we just need to stop "advertising" them as much as we (I) had at least in the past... seems like every Joe Blow now days wants to buy one and be "cool" like us... LOL...

In any case, what is the good price on a cat like that?!

Rear end - $2-3k
Motor/tranny - $1k
Hydro system - $1k
Drag system - $2k (to anyone that needs it, unlike to me its $0 value)

Considering wiring is in working order $1k
Considering its a turn-key unit - another $1-2k

so thats pretty close on the price

or am I getting this all wrong... LOL

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't realize you had to buy that blind! At least you knew where it was coming from, guaranteed cool. That's an exciting way to buy a cat! Can't wait to see you put it all together

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
:th_lmao::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Someone had to say what you said!!!
no imagine how I ended up buying a Frandee from Pontoon Princess without seeing/knowing what it actually was - as in - she said she had a cat - one that more or less fits my criteria - but I cant know/see what it was until I agree to actually buy it... LOL...

in Russia, we have a saying - "he who doesnt risk, doesnt drink champagne!" :)

In any case, this was one of the machines I've looked into buying/getting myself as well, main reason - too far from us in PNW, otherwise, I would come out and look at it and probably bargain with the guy until I get the price I think is good... (in any case, anything that far from Oregon, got to be a REALLY good deal)...

Its okay, cats are out there, we just need to stop "advertising" them as much as we (I) had at least in the past... seems like every Joe Blow now days wants to buy one and be "cool" like us... LOL...

In any case, what is the good price on a cat like that?!

Rear end - $2-3k
Motor/tranny - $1k
Hydro system - $1k
Drag system - $2k (to anyone that needs it, unlike to me its $0 value)

Considering wiring is in working order $1k
Considering its a turn-key unit - another $1-2k

so thats pretty close on the price

or am I getting this all wrong... LOL

I don't think you should look at a machine's value that way; essentially putting a price on some of parts, and if that's less than the asking price...it's all good.

When I'm considering purchasing something, in the back of my mind there's always "What is the exit strategy"? Meaning, if I needed to sell this, could I get my money out of it fairly easily?

I think you need to compare the asking price of the machine to similar machines of the same make and model, and make adjustments for condition, options and other differences.

And when you're buying long distance I think it helps hugely if the seller can send more photos, more details on the machine, and any repairs. Does the seller sound knowledgeable and come across as honest, or does he sound like he's a BS artist - and will say anything to make a sale?

But buying used there's ALWAYS a risk, and a smart buyer tries to mitigate that risk.

BTW, I once bought a used FJ40 sight-unseen, long distance from a guy I knew only by reputation. He said it had "a small crease in the right rear quarter panel". Small crease my a**, it was a lot worse than that. But overall the vehicle was better than I expected, and a good value. I wasn't drinking Dom Perignon, but it was a lot better than Andre...

Manistee

I live about 30 miles from where this cat is located and would be willing to go take a look at it if someone was really interested. I cannot afford another cat, have my hands more than full with projects already on the books so would not be in competition with anyone for it. I am very busy also, so it may take a few days for me to get there if anyone asks. The owner runs a steel business and works on vehicles on the side, which he then sells. Do not know him well, but have done business with him in the past and he has always been honest with me. Did look at this unit a few years ago and it looked pretty nice, but have never heard it run, let alone seen it move. I am also not a certified mechanic or a very experienced snowcat person, though I have owned and worked on my own Super Imp for the last few years.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I live about 30 miles from where this cat is located

How have i not met you,:wink: isn't gordon in the way north and a bit west WI?

I have driven that cat.
I would be able to move the cat east in exchange with a drag or some fuel. (provided I find a load to return with)
I agree with Nik-son on the value of a project and I also give a lot of thought to exit strategy.
The motor was fresh when I considered buying it, trans solid, hydraulics sound. one of the neat features of the cat is a extra bit of plumbing that was assisting the cooling system.
I passed on it when I was less knowledgeable and cats were popping up more often in cheaper states of preparedness.
this is a Late B model machine that was ordered with a automatic. the B style grousers had been gone through and all backer plates and bolts tightened up. It was a machine that a club had lost its trails due to urban sprawl and I lost sight of it not knowing if it ever sold.
the price drop is exciting, but I am really not looking unless the exit strategy is on the positive side......

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
best exit strategy is for the seller to pay you their asking price, and cover all the restoration/repair costs...and then and only then, buy the cat,

otherwise, you are paying for the privilege to own the cat, keep in mind why you wanted it in the first place, like, getting out and enjoying the back country etc etc etc,

I liken this cat owning thing to the poor Model T Ford owner, pays $5K for a unrestored car, spends $35K to restored it and have a $15K car when done, but the smiles per miles are priceless, and you do meet the nicest people in a snow cat,

life is journey and enjoy the adventures and people you meet

except for those idiots in Colorado that stole the 543, plain DUMB

Back to the cat that is for sale, IMHO, thinking it is a honest cat at a more than fair price...you might be able to find one for less and money and spent at least 10 times the difference in getting it in the same condition as this one. just my thoughts, having owned a couple of Model T's

Last edited:
I bought a sv200 with out checking it out-----sent my road guy to pick it up----it ran on the phone----not when my guy got there----my guy got him down on the price-----and it ended up in my yard a few hours later---I was a little disappointed-but not really-----after pulling the junk aftermarket parts out of the dist. and digging the old points and parts from on the floor of the cab it runs-------than one day gutting all the junk out of it---speakers /tach.old wires/ect.----this is one ugly cat but has been grooming all winter---I think the asking price is good ----------this pic. is the good side

Attachments

• IMG_20171223_142824222_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171223_142824222_HDR.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 339
this summer the sv200 will be getting a new cab---this cat runs great steers like a dream--iam glad I ended up with it---a little tlc. it will be real nice to groom with----and yes I have all the parts for the new/used cab----the only good cat is a dead cat except for a sno-cat

Attachments

• IMG_20180219_152545398.jpg
    IMG_20180219_152545398.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 336
the other thing with buying a used cat is the bigger they are the more of a pain in the ass they are----trailering /getting down trails-----I picked up this pb240 last summer---some fresh paint and a couple other small repairs a its a sweet toy----but big and bad ass---but the sv is way easier to zip around in

Attachments

• IMG_20171218_153851717_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171218_153851717_HDR.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 338

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm definitely out on a second cat for the time being, too many irons in the fire and realize that now. There sure are some nice cat people on here, very nice offers, almost had me reconsidering it :hammer:I did get a pm from a forum member that is ready to bite on this one. Stay tuned!