Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum

Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum Major Restorations, Upgrades, and Non-Stock Snowcat Modifications

Old 03-01-2018, 06:03 PM
Tracked Evolution Central
MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy here, with questions.

Originally Posted by Tigdim View Post
Curious about the track and wheels on this machine?

They are not the same as the ones I have seen on other Bombardiers.
Those are custom made steel wheels to use with the all rubber track and steel drive sprocket ( it was custom also ) the hubs were made to fit the Bombardier axles and grease caps

Custom tracks with steel cables inside same as the LMC trackmaster 75 skidsteer tracks ( we still have some )
Have a nice day, NSA kind of like NASA but one less "A"
Old 03-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Bronze Member
Snowy Rivers is on a distinguished road

Tracked machines are used a lot on dirt, grass and just a whole lot of terrain.

A local company used to have a couple Thiokol Sprytes that they did power line work with.

They have since gotten bigger and more well money'd and recently purchased a couple Pisten Bully's.

The PB's are sweet but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

One of their cats is a winch cat. (Has the arm over the top with the winch system)

These guys get into some serious territory on the power line jobs, and I believe they have a crew that does Cell tower work as well.

The old man retired and the kids run things now and are not as friendly as Jim was.

Good luck in your quest for a machine
Old 03-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Tigdim is on a distinguished road

Figured I would update this thread with the actual grades on the farm since I estimated them in the first post.

Steepest slope I measured on the farm, (not including washouts/ravines/ small extra steep transitions) turns out to only be 57% (Just a hair under 30 degrees.) I estimated this slope at 70%, seems steeper when your walking up the slope.

That slope is really rough when your dragging a deer up it...

The trails that we can't pull loaded trailers up/haul wood out of 37-38% (just over a 20 degree angle) I was not as far off with this one, I was thinking 40 to 50%. I really would like a machine that can pull some logs or a loaded trailer up these 3 trails. Probably have 80 - 90 cord of firewood down in those 2 sections of woods.

The steepest trail we can reliably pull a full trailer load of wood up or get the ranger up with the dump box fully loaded is right around 30%. (16.7 degrees.)

I am surprised at how much steeper I thought each one of those slopes/trails are.

No machine yet, Researching and planning a build.