• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

15 Minutes of Walking On A Daily Basis Can Change Your Body Drastically

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
15 Minutes of Walking On A Daily Basis Can Change Your Body Drastically

Most people are well aware of the countless benefits from regular exercise and the amazing effects it can have on our mental, emotional, and physical health.

However, most Americans simply choose not to exercise or workout in their spare time.

According to Sanjay Sharma, professor of inherited cardiac diseases in sports cardiology at St. George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in London:

"We may never avoid becoming completely old, but we may delay the time we become old. We may look younger when we're 70 and may live into our nineties.

Exercise buys you three to seven additional years of life. It is an antidepressant, it improves cognitive function, and there is now evidence that it may retard the onset of dementia."

Here are some of the benefits of walking on a daily basis!

1. It can lower the risk of diabetes

The findings from the Harvard Nurses' Health Study showed that women that walked for half an hour daily experienced a 30% lower risk of diabetes.

Walking was also found to be able to shrink dangerous abdominal fat, which can result in diabetes.

2. It lowers the risk of Alzheimer's disease

Researchers at the University of Virginia Health System discovered that men at the age of 71 – 93, who walked more than a 1/4 of a mile daily had half the incidence of Alzheimer's disease and dementia in comparison to compared to participants who walked less.

3. It reduces high blood pressure

Researchers found that moderate intensity walking lowers the risk of high blood pressure.

4. It helps digestion

Tara Aleichem, a physical therapist at Cancer Treatment Center in America, maintains that walking can improve your gastric mobility.

5. It reduces pain and enhances mobility

The American Heart Association published an article that showed that walking on a daily basis can improve mobility in people with PAD (peripheral artery disease).

6. It enhances bone health

People who exercise on a daily basis have healthier and strong teeth, and regular exercise boosts bone density, strengthens the bones and lowers the risk of osteoporosis, fractures, and shrinkage of the spine.

7. It improves cognitive performance

Studies have shown that a regular walk boosts the cognitive performance in both children and adults.

8. Leads to longevity

Numerous studies have proven that regular walking lowers the risk of mortality.

9. It improves mood

The findings of a 2016 study showed that walking at least 20 minutes daily boosts the self-confidence and attentiveness, and reduces the feelings of anger and hostility.

Here are some useful walking tips:

Pick a suitable pace, as in order to burn calories, you need to walk about 3.5 miles an hour.
To burn more calories, try an incline walk
Always wear flexible, low-heeled, cushioned, comfortable shoes
Walk with the shoulders down, the chin parallel to the ground, and looking straight ahead
Swing the arms while walking, bend them at 90 degrees and pump the shoulders
You can start walking more by making some tiny changes into your daily routine:

Take the stairs instead of the elevator
Walk to school or work
Go for a short walk after dinner or lunch with friends
Get off several bus stops before your destination when taking public transport
Always park your car a bit further and walk to the destination
Try walk-and-talk meetings at work
Take your dog for a walk
Listen to your favorite podcast and walk

Dr. Mercola also suggests:

"While you're getting in the habit of a daily walk, choose a spot that's suitable for barefoot walking – like a grassy park or sandy beach – and give it a try.

In addition to the physical benefits of walking, walking barefoot allows your body to absorb energy from the Earth through the soles of your feet, a practice known as grounding.

This physical contact with the Earth can have powerful effects on the body and it has many well-documented health benefits.

For example, one scientific review published in the Journal of Environmental and Public Health concluded that grounding (walking barefoot on the earth) could improve a number of health conditions, including the following:

Sleep disturbances, including sleep apnea
Chronic muscle and joint pain, and other types of pain
Asthmatic and respiratory conditions
Rheumatoid arthritis
PMS
Hypertension
Energy levels
Stress
Immune system activity and response
Heart rate variability
Primary indicators of osteoporosis
Fasting glucose levels among people with diabetes
We recommend using a pedometer, or better yet, one of the newer wearable fitness trackers, to keep track and find out how far you normally walk. At first, you may be surprised to realize just how little you move each day.

Tracking your steps can also show you how simple and seemingly minor changes to the way you move around during the day can add up. Plus, it's motivating to see your steps increase throughout the day."

Source: www.healthyfoodhouse.com

Attachments

• Walking15MinutesADayBenefits.jpg
    Walking15MinutesADayBenefits.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 138

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Skipping my walk today. -7F, wind blowing and the roads are slick as hell which means the chances of me getting my clock cleaned by an idiot driver just went way up.

Yup, that's all my excuses for staying inside, warm and comfy. :yum::yum:

I think I feel a nap coming coming on.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't take fifteen minutes of my day to walk. I simply do not have the time for it. However, every fifteen minutes at work I do get up from my desk and walk the building to make sure all is well, people are working, have what they need, and there are no problems with the machinery.

Whilst walking for15 minutes every day will likely help, sitting for more than 15 minutes will absdolutely hurt. Try telling that to a teenager with their own phone device. That aside, sitting at a sedentary job so you can afford to go to a gym seems, to me at least, a waste of resources and time.

I don't have time to go to a gym and watch pretty girls excercise,,,; so,I hire them. Everybody wins. That said, if you can't do that, then best get off you butts and take a walk.

How far is it to the Dunkin' Doughnut shop?

See,,,; there ya go.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Skipping my walk today. -7F, wind blowing and the roads are slick as hell which means the chances of me getting my clock cleaned by an idiot driver just went way up.

Yup, that's all my excuses for staying inside, warm and comfy. :yum::yum:

I think I feel a nap coming coming on.

Same here. This is an inside day. 12F out there with 20 mph winds gusting to 37!

Attachments

• 4522F4E2-1C02-43E9-A991-8CB0508B1954.jpeg
    4522F4E2-1C02-43E9-A991-8CB0508B1954.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 138

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
No power walking today!
Mine are usually fast walks that are of a 30 minute duration.
Cardio and leg burning stuff.
I like it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have time to go to a gym and watch pretty girls excercise,,,; so,I hire them. Everybody wins. That said, if you can't do that, then best get off you butts and take a walk.
I wonder how many days, walking 15 minutes per day would it take me to reach where Franc works. ;)

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I try to walk as much as I can. Some days I will drive to the mall and just walk around to get the blood flowing.

Other days like today, I can't make it to the kitchen without nearly collapsing. Nerve damage sucks. I just picked up a new set of arm crutches for days like today so I can still stand. Normally I get by with one regular cane for support. Ya do what ya have to. It does get very frustrating and depressing at times.

When I go to the gym, we start by a quick warmup to get the blood flowing followed by 20 minutes of theraband exercises. After which we head to the gym area for 20 minutes of cardio. I usually spend that time walking the track. It's an indoor Olympic sized pool with gym and walking track upstairs circling the pool.

Canadian eh!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I found that to be an interesting article right up to the bit about walking barefoot and "grounding". The dude that wrote it lives in London and has never seen a fire ant in his life. :yum: