• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
An old Swedish proverb: Det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder.

There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

So on days like today when the windchills are expected to be -30 to -40 and the actual air temperature is expected to drop to -20(F) during the day, why is it that I see people who are so unprepared for life that they go out driving wearing no hats, no gloves, and only light jackets? Do they even consider the fact that they might end up in a ditch and have to walk anywhere for help?

Friday I saw several kids leaving the high school wearing SHORT PANTS and many had NO JACKET or COAT. I'm not sure that its because they are impoverished and can't afford them, I'm totally sure its because they are idiots. And apparently their parents are just as stupid for letting them out in that type of weather.

I wouldn't let Melen drive in the winter unless she had a pair of heavily insulated snow boots, parka, gloves and hat in the car with her. She didn't have to wear them, but she had to have them to change into if needed. Oh, and a packable snow shovel to dig the car out, and tow straps, and . . . .

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
One of the little princes that lives on my street always wears shorts to school. Of course he only is exposed to the weather the short distance from his mommy's car to the bus so the risk of exposure is minimal.

My kids know they are usually walking up hill for 1/2 a mile rain or shine so they dress appropriately. They might get a break in the snow but they might not. :shifty:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you are the 'evil parent' on the road who doesn't coddle his kids and give into their ever increasingly stupid desires?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
An old Swedish proverb: Det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder.

There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

So on days like today when the windchills are expected to be -30 to -40 and the actual air temperature is expected to drop to -20(F) during the day, why is it that I see people who are so unprepared for life that they go out driving wearing no hats, no gloves, and only light jackets? Do they even consider the fact that they might end up in a ditch and have to walk anywhere for help?

Friday I saw several kids leaving the high school wearing SHORT PANTS and many had NO JACKET or COAT. I'm not sure that its because they are impoverished and can't afford them, I'm totally sure its because they are idiots. And apparently their parents are just as stupid for letting them out in that type of weather.

I wouldn't let Melen drive in the winter unless she had a pair of heavily insulated snow boots, parka, gloves and hat in the car with her. She didn't have to wear them, but she had to have them to change into if needed. Oh, and a packable snow shovel to dig the car out, and tow straps, and . . . .

A few years back I was at the hospital with my father in emergency . It was about 11PM. and about 15 degrees outside .
A young teenager came in helping another teen age girl . She was shivering .
They bullied their way to the nurse and when she asked what the problem was , the girl said she was so cold ....... She was wearing a pair of Short shorts and a half top . The nurse looked at me and rolled her eyes and told her to put on some cloths . I just started laughing as they left . Stupid kids !!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

That's generally my rule of thumb too (I don't like driving in a heavy coat), but after what happened in Michigan City a few days ago where people were trapped and exposed to the elements I might reconsider.

Although the more appropriate preventive measure there is to STAY OFF THE DAMN EXPRESSWAY IN A BLIZZARD!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's generally my rule of thumb too (I don't like driving in a heavy coat), but after what happened in Michigan City a few days ago where people were trapped and exposed to the elements I might reconsider.
My rule is that the spare clothes stay in the passenger compartment so they're in reach and you don't have to get out of the vehicle. The tools can go in the trunk since you're getting out of the vehicle to use them anyway.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too do not like driving in a heavy coat ...so I stash my heavy coat, gloves and knit cap in the rear seat in case of emergency. I try to stay out of blizzards but went to dinner a week or so ago and when we came out it was snowing sideways ....like a blizzard. Rough driving home but we took it slow and made it no problem. The snow had not been predicted so it surprised us all.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My rule is that the spare clothes stay in the passenger compartment so they're in reach and you don't have to get out of the vehicle. The tools can go in the trunk since you're getting out of the vehicle to use them anyway.

Yup, like you and Dave, I do not like driving (long distances) in a heavy coat, but I also keep the spare clothes in the passenger compartment. For a run into town, or even across the county, I'll keep the heavy coat on my body. But going a couple counties over, up into Chicago, or any longer distance run, then it's either on the passenger seat or in the back seat. Somewhere within reach.

Snowbrush is in the passenger compartment too. And some other odds and ends.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

Think pin-in accident and jaws-of-life.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Think pin-in accident and jaws-of-life.

And that is a real concern in any weather where road conditions can deteriorate quickly or where there are known horrible conditions.

A couple weeks ago I drove down to North Carolina. I got onto Interstate 65 at noon. It had been re-opened by the state police at 11am. Never should have been re-opened. But I started driving anyway as I had to get Melen down to college.

Wearing hiking boots, wool socks, thick pants, wool long sleeve baselayer shirt, rugby shirt and a lightly insulated hiking jacket with a hood. Parka on the seat behind me. Inside the car I was more concerned about getting too hot dressed that way, but I also was concerned about accidents and getting stuck too. I kept the heat low to stay cool enough. It was not until I got to a stop just north of Louisville, KY that I stripped off the hiking jacket.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's paranoid about traveling in bad/cold weather.

About 20 years ago I almost got into bad trouble during a Wyoming winter when my rental car decided to quit miles from anywhere. I got lucky but ever since then, in bad weather or anywhere cold, I travel with what amounts to a BOB in the back seat. I'm good for about 3 days.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
In nasty weather I always have a few blankets along and I dress as if I may have to be out in it. In my plow truck I carry a quilt the wife made me that has an old military wool blanket for the backing. Thing weighs a ton but will keep you alive through some real nasty stuff. Another thing I do is fill the tank when I head out to plow. If I get stuck I prefer to stay comfortable till somebody comes along.