• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1404 imp belting& grousers

Alan K

I have 56 grousers, one side belts 200" other 223" just got imp trying to fix so no problems , what is correct? Thanks. P.s how much adjustment.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Do you have straight grousers or drop center? My cat has 55 drop center and the pitch is 4" with a 220" belt. This thread may be helpful http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=63147 go to thread #33. If you have straight grousers don't subtract 2X the drop distance from the sprocket and idler diameter.

This thread may also be helpful http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=31990&page=2

The straight grousers are about 4.75" but it is best to make the measurements yourself and do the math to verify.

The idler has three positions that are 1 inch apart.

Pictures are always helpful. Everyone on this forum is a visual type of guy.

Hope this was helpful.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
We need to see pictures of your sprocket type to help you. I have a wheel type sprocket on my cat that would use a 4.75 pitch with straight grousers.

In any regard, with straight grousers to determine the correct belt length:

Step 1.
Measure the minor diameter of the sprocket, multiply X 3.14 to get the circumference and divide by the number of teeth. That will give you the exact tooth pitch. (Round this to the nearest fraction. it should be real close to your 4" measurement.)

Step 2.
Measure the diameter of the idler, multiply X 3.14. to get the circumference.

Step 3.
Measure the center distance between the idler and sprocket. (Hub center to hub center) and multiply by 2. (Use the rearmost or center position of the idler to allow for belt stretch later. Moving the idler one hole will change the belt length by 2") Compare both sides.

Step 4.
Add the circumference of the sprocket minor diameter to the circumference of the idler and divide this sum by 2.

Step 5.
Add the quotient of step 4 to the product of step 3. This will give you the theoretical belt length. Divide this by your pitch. Round this quotient up or down to the nearest whole number to get the number of grousers. Multiply the number of grousers times the pitch to get the actual belt length. This is how long you would cut a new belt. (Minus the length of your lacing)

The 1404 book says 54 grousers but that is for a wheel type sprocket and drop center grousers. Your sprocket may be different with the straight grousers.

My 1402 had 54 grousers on one side and 53 on the other. the book for it shows 55 grousers. Supposedly it is the same chassis as the 1404. My math worked out to the book value with a belt length of 219.31" divided by 4" (My calculated pitch was 4.018") equals 54.82 . Round up to 55. 55 times 4" = 220"

If the cat has been damaged at some point, that can change the center distance of the idler and sprocket hub. Mine was and there was extensive repair to the transaxle mount.

There will be a little triangular sine error due to the approach angles on the front and rear, but that will tend to tighten the track.

According to the book, track tension is not critical but shouldn't be too tight or too loose with 50 PSI on the Idler.
:weneedpic

Last edited:

PrecisionMarine

Pictures are always helpful. Everyone on this forum is a visual type of guy.

Isn't "visual" and "guy" kinda redundant?

Turbinator, really great job with Nikson's 1402. I also have a 1402 with the original Wisconsin 4-banger.. a bit underpowered, in my opinion, but I love the lil' guy.
Let me know if you're interested in a copy of the original 1402 manual.

Tom - PrecisionMarine

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks so much for the 1402 manual. It printed out perfectly and now resides in a binder behind my seat. The resources of the people on this forum are phenomenal. Thanks again!