• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I finally got around to reading "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse":

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surviving-James-Wesley-Rawles/dp/156975599X"]Amazon.com: Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse (9781569755990): James Wesley Rawles: Books[/ame]

It was pretty good. Almost a survival manual wrapped up in a story.

Previously, I had read "One Second After":

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765327252/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323921206&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: One Second After (9780765327253): William R. Forstchen: Books[/ame]

"One Second After" seems to be a better novel but it much more depressing than the Patriots book.

I think my goal in one of these scenarios is to be well prepared but to fly under the radar as best I can. I hope neither of these scenarios ever happen - it would really suck.

Anyone else read these books? I suspect a few here have.

SShepherd

no I haven't

be well prepared but to fly under the radar as best I can

I've always thought thats the best way to survive.

Gatorboy

Oh, I thought this thread was about Denver and Tebow crushing the NE Patriots this weekend. My bad.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
"Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse" Wife is getting it for me for Christmas. :smile:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I liked One Second After.

I heard Patriots reads a bit too much like a marketing book to sell sell survival gear. Thoughts?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I liked One Second After.

I heard Patriots reads a bit too much like a marketing book to sell sell survival gear. Thoughts?

It certainly promotes specific brands but these are also the same brands that are heavily promoted on all the survival forums and blogs.

I think the writer is pretty much saying "this is how I would do it". It's an interesting perspective and I see the benefits of a lot of his decisions but at the same time there are huge holes (like only one dog and no livestock - especially chickens which are pretty much free food if you have the land). So perhaps in a way he is relying heavily on selling survival goods instead of telling people how to be self sufficient.

Regardless, both books pose some interesting outcomes of what the chaos could be like.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Familiar with both novels. Going to download the Kindle version of Patriots right after the holidays.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It certainly promotes specific brands but these are also the same brands that are heavily promoted on all the survival forums and blogs.

I think the writer is pretty much saying "this is how I would do it". It's an interesting perspective and I see the benefits of a lot of his decisions but at the same time there are huge holes (like only one dog and no livestock - especially chickens which are pretty much free food if you have the land). So perhaps in a way he is relying heavily on selling survival goods instead of telling people how to be self sufficient.

Regardless, both books pose some interesting outcomes of what the chaos could be like.

Agrred. Most survivalist spendfar too much time on "waiting it out" strategies . Whether financial or life sustainment, they tell what vehicles in which to place your assests and your wealth, and how to have enough supplies to survive until civilizations recovers.

Livestock, chickens, seed crops, a few dogs, these are essential tools upon which our civilization grew in the first place. In point of fact, we will need them to survive and eventualy to regenerate that civilization.

My survival capsule contains many ingredients, Food, water,ammo, TP. But it also includes a small library. Not on disks or a laptop but real books. We will need bits and pieces of everything to rebuild. Including literature and technologies of engineering and science.

Bet you don't see that in any survival manuals.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Agrred. Most survivalist spendfar too much time on "waiting it out" strategies . Whether financial or life sustainment, they tell what vehicles in which to place your assests and your wealth, and how to have enough supplies to survive until civilizations recovers.

Livestock, chickens, seed crops, a few dogs, these are essential tools upon which our civilization grew in the first place. In point of fact, we will need them to survive and eventualy to regenerate that civilization.

My survival capsule contains many ingredients, Food, water,ammo, TP. But it also includes a small library. Not on disks or a laptop but real books. We will need bits and pieces of everything to rebuild. Including literature and technologies of engineering and science.

Bet you don't see that in any survival manuals.

I agree on the books front. I have a small library of "Homesteading" and survival books. The land is reasonably bountiful in the NW and there is no reason why a resourceful person couldn't survive off the land. The only real threat is from outside forces whether those be criminal or governmental.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree on the books front. I have a small library of "Homesteading" and survival books. The land is reasonably bountiful in the NW and there is no reason why a resourceful person couldn't survive off the land. The only real threat is from outside forces whether those be criminal or governmental.
Are they not both the same???:whistling:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Check out some of the books written by Brad Anger. They were never meant for TEOTWAWKI
scenarios, but the basic survival info is applicable. Well worth having in a well equipped post-SHTF library.