• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

601 track work

wesley

I'm working on replacing track grousers on my Thiokol 601. I have several that are broken at the bend near the tire. While some of the bolts are easy to remove, some are severly rusted or they are sunken into the grouser from overtightening, or the ones with the flats are bent in such a way that it is impossible to get a socket on.
Since I cant get a grinder at some of these I've decided to try burning the off. I bought a torch kit from Menards and I'm hoping it will cut off the bolt heads. I'm wondering of anyone has tried this method and how it worked form you. I don't want to do any more damage the the old grousers than necessary, as I hope to repair and reuse as many as I can. :doh:

Attachments

• camp walkthrough 003.jpg
    camp walkthrough 003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 167

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have fill welded a nut on to a striped bold heads and am always amazed how well it works,with out seeing a pic of the messed up bolt its hard to say. after you cut the head off can you drive the rest stright threw the belt with a long punch?

wesley

I had a few M29 Weasels prior to the 601 and rebuilt quite a few tracks. The weasel tracks were riveted to rubber covered wire belts. On those I ground the rivit head and then drove the rest of the rivit out. The tracks were very hard steel and it was very hard to damage them.