Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Motorcycles & Accessories Forum

Old 05-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 8,661 Times in 3,527 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scooter won't start! Need help. . .

I imported them with the help of a dealer who was bringing in a container load, he just added my scooters to his order as a favor. I saved a boatload of money, the total cost of the two Chinese scooters was less than the price of 1 of the genuine Yamaha scooters.

I will probably be buying another scooter this year or next year. I don't know what brand it will be, but I will very likely buy a named brand unit rather than going the ultra low priced direct import route again.

EDIT: Below is a picture of the Yamaha scooter. My scooters are the Chinese copies of this. From a distance of 25' they look the same (except the Yamaha brand is all 2 tone paint, and the Chinese are single color) The list price on the Yamaha is about $1900. I paid about $850 each for my Galaxy 50 units 2 years ago. For the next one, I may buy the real Yamaha.
Attached Images

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Bronze Member

Durwood is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bob, i had thought about selling a few of these a while back myself. A lot of the chinese companies now have warehouses here where you can get them cheap without importing them yourself. That is what e bayers who sell them do...they sell you the bike and then have it shipped from the warehouse. The problem now is they have flooded the market with these things. Not just scooters but chinese mini bikes, go karts, etc...I drive a truck and most trucks stops were selling them. The farm stores are selling them, auto part stores are selling them too. But i too have come to the conclusion they are MUCH inferior then the name brands. There were some mini bikes outside the local TSC i looked at the other day and the "chrome" headlights were already rusting out...and these were new.

Dur

Last edited by Durwood; 05-17-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Just Plinkin Away the $$

TOMLESCOEQUIP is on a distinguished road

I bought my kids a couple knock-off toys last year. I got my son a 110cc dirt bike (honda clone) & my daughter a 110cc quad (honda engined clone) of the yamaha raptor quad. The fit & finish wasn't up to the jap quality, but both run well & will serve the purpose till they out grow them. I have a few $$ less than $1500 in the pair, delivered to my door. The yamaha version of the quad was $2699 when we looked at them at the local dealer before I bought the china ones. You're right tho.......you BETTER own a wrench set if you get the knock-offs !! There is a GREAT place in Illinois that actually has a parts & service dept. They shipped & I got the atv's before they e-mailed the tracking #'s !! Super customer service & great prices. Needless to say I was impressed. ATV Link

Nothing works unless you do !
Old 05-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 8,661 Times in 3,527 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMLESCOEQUIP
you BETTER own a wrench set if you get the knock-offs !!
Tom that is the real rub with these things. I own a wrench, but am much more comforable working on an antique engine or a diesel tractor than these little mini toy things. I obviously don't have a real clue about small engine repair and so if you are only modestly handy, then it can be worth it to bypass the knock off products in favor of the real brand name stuff with dealers who can fix things and supply parts.

Obviously there are folks on the Forums who are far more adept at fixing small gas engines than I am. I consider myself lucky that the problem was simple AND that you guys pretty much figured it out for me.

• Edit: I think that my experiences with these scooters, while not horrible, is not great, and that may be partly why I have become a tractor "snob" favoring established brands with strong dealers. I guess I'm a scooter "snob" too.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 05-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Just Plinkin Away the $$

TOMLESCOEQUIP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Skurka

Obviously there are folks on the Forums who are far more adept at fixing small gas engines than I am. I consider myself lucky that the problem was simple AND that you guys pretty much figured it out for me.
Isn't the sharing of info among friends thru the net great ? Sure glad Gore took the initative to invent it ! Glad you have it going. Most of the minor issues I've had with mine were directly related to the lack of quality control inspections we've come to expect with the higher priced "name" brands.

Nothing works unless you do !