• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Member with Lowest serial number?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you Thyokol 'Guy's' determined who in your groop has the oldest, lowest serial number machine? I see in "Deep Powder Project", that the Imp has a number in the 600's making it a very early production machine.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting question. What were the production years for the various models. I know the 600 series came before the Imp or the Spryte, but it would be interesting to know the years of manufacture for each of the models.

We know the production numbers for Snow Tracs, Trac Masters and Snow Masters, with years and quantities of each produced. What years were the 600's made? Imps? Super Imps? Sprytes? Anyone know how many of each were made per year?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
From what I know:

First came some early prototypes that have been for sale on eBay and are lying around...usually they fetch next to no cash because they're a historical piece rather than useable and most people don't see enough value. I saw an early prototype reposted several times and I don't think it ever sold as people weren't willing to pay much over a couple grand.

I believe the first production was the 4VL (see photos of the purple people eater)

Then came the Trackmaster (first prototype in 1959). Most seen around now are 1961-1962 but I believe production started in 1960. I believe the oldest Trackmaster on the forum is the Toaster restoration. Bob Pierce is out with a Trackmaster right now cheating on his Krusti! Rather, he's romancing her... I think they're having dinner while he considers buying into the relationship.

Then came the 600 series starting in 1963 and running until 1968 (that's the oldest I've seen/have). An example of the 601 is Boggie's Ghost...aka "The Precious" to the Mainer (she'll need to come to daddy eventually Boggie where she can be pampered... nurtured... you should talk to your 601's each night as they have personalities too...).

Seems that the numbers only run up to about 300 per year from what I've seen but I don't have the official data.

Then came Imp & Spryte which others know better than I... so they can tell the tale.

socal4t12

Mainer is correct,,,,,the serial number needs to be associated with the model, production date, and shiping date if they are known. Progression would be the 4V, 4T,600, Imp/Spryte. My 4t10 is on the registeration page for all my info.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
Bob Pierce is out with a Trackmaster right now cheating on his Krusti! Rather, he's romancing her... I think they're having dinner while he considers buying into the relationship.
<snip>

Oh, you're such a liar! :liar: You are not allowed to play with SnoOps anymore. He's a bad influence on you.

weatherby

Has anyone ever seen one of these? The last pic. is the same one but with the tracks missing.

Attachments

• cam4boys1957.jpg
    cam4boys1957.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 807
  • snocat1957.jpg
    snocat1957.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 791
  • bar-b-56-stuck.jpg
    bar-b-56-stuck.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 812

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen the middle picture before, had seen it attributed to an early Thiokol, but I don't know any more than that about those units.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Have you Thyokol 'Guy's' determined who in your groop has the oldest, lowest serial number machine? I see in "Deep Powder Project", that the Imp has a number in the 600's making it a very early production machine.

I have a 1961 Swamp Spryte. Dont recall the serial number off hand. I can see if I have the name plate listed here some where.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The machine in the 3 pictures is a "Scandie Sea Wolf", and was manufactured by the precursor to Thiokol. The University of Utah, at Logan Utah was the birthplace. The story goes that a professor and some students built the prototypes. This is a model 4CX. I don't know how many were built, probably just 2 or 3, but the prototypes were shipped to alaska, and tested by the US millitary. The 4CX had gear cases quite similar to a grader that drove the wheels, each pair. The front set steered just like a Tucker, but unlike a Tucker, the rear set was stationary. It would appear that there was no track tensioning system, or at least I couldn't find one. I contacted the factory, back when they were still in business, and asked every "old timer" there about the series and they were able to supply verry little information. They didn't even have a service manual. All eight wheels were powered. It is likely that Tucker took them to court over patent infringment because they immediately dropped the design and started developing a 2 track model. The Cast Brass, Raised Letter Nomenclature Plate Reads: UNIVERSITY OF UTAH EXPERIMENTAL DIVISION, LOGAN UTAH, SCANDIE SEA WOLF. No date. But they had to be produced somewhere around 1956 to 1959. The engine was missing from the one I found, but it had a conventional transmission, driving into a conventional transfercase used on a 4 wheel drive truck, and drive shafts driving 2 differentials, quite similar to Tucker Sno-Cat's. The Serial number one unit used to reside in a juck yard, where I also used to reside. It has since been crushed up into a pile of junk and is beyond restoration. I have a picture of it in both the summer, and the winter, but they are pretty poor pictures.

weatherby

I must say LYNDON I think most people on this Forum including myself must think your a living history book when it comes to this kind of stuff. VERY IMPRESSIVE :thumb:

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ditto on what WEATHERBY said....truly amazing ! LYNDON, Do you have this stuff written down... or just remember it?? You should write a book for sure,as suggested here before.:respect: Keep them coming, most on here,including myself ,find these tidbits of history very interesting.:thumb:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From looking at the last picture it appears as though the prototype was designed to be useful with or without tracks. What a shame the machine is crushed. Is it for sure beyond restoration?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I first located the Serial number one unit, I had a personal collection of 12 vintage snow cats in various stages of restoration. I was employed by the owner of the recycling center at a variety of locations across alaska and was actively hunting down machines in my spare time in small native villages all over alaska. It was a real thrill to find the First Machine. As part of my employment arraingement I got to live in the middle of the 2 square mile Pipeline junkyard in a single wide mobile home that had been sprayed with uerathane faom. It often dropped to 50 below for weeks at a time there. I kept going back and looking it over and considering it for restoration. At this time, in 96, the body was quite intact, but both sets of wheels and differentials had migrated some 50 yards away from the body and chasis. Most of the tracks were gone, having been salvaged to attempt to reuse on some other home made track rig. I even used to sort of 'check' on it, periodically after I moved away. The last time I checked on it the recycling facility had taken a D9 cat and cleared off that area and pushed all the junk, including the cat and it's wheel/bogie assemblies up into a huge pile quite some ways away. I presume that it was crushed and buried beyond recognition. I've had so many inquireies about it that I will make one more final attempt to locate it, but don't get your hopes up... This place recycles Aluminum, and it probably has already gone thru a shreder. >
But, guess what? I know where the First Tucker 323 is. And it's in quite complete, restorable shape. It is the model that had 2 skiis in front, and just 2 track/pontoon assemblies( used in ICE STATION ZEBRA W/Patric Magoohan). The current owner is Bill Cook, of Cook's Equipment, the Tucker Dealer in Vermont. The last time I saw it, it was fairly well preserved in a barn at their place of business. It's got a wood steering wheel! I doubt that they want to sell it, but who knows. The Cook's were the Tucker Sno-Cat dealer for all of New England, and served several hundred ski areas in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, N.Y., Penn, and much of Canada. They have been continuously in business for 2 generations. The son, who I believe currently runs the business, had plans of restoring it, but it could be one of those projects that he never gets around to. I havn't spoken with him in many years. in a lifetime one is not very likely to personally see very many Serial Number one machines of any make, certainly not Snow Cats. I have seen the serial number one 747, and been in the first 707, both at museums, and the first Mercedies, also in a museum. Locating the First Thiokol myself was certainly the pinnacle of my snow cat collecting career.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Big 3

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?: Think of this: The Ford, Chevy and Dodge of Snow Cats is Thiokol, Bombardier, and Tucker Snow Cat. They would be the "Big 3" of North America. What are the odds that you would run across the First Ford, and the First Chev, in Your Lifetime? IF you know old cars, then Kristi and Radcliff would be what? Studebakers & Edsels? I've probably been to 20 or 30 Automobile museums, over 20 Aircraft Museums, and a couple dozen other Scinece Museums, and I still havn't ever seen the First Chevy or First Ford.

koz

I was at Bill Cook's place a couple of years ago and he took me out back to see his collection of old Tuckers. I found a couple of pics on his site - I think the one in the first pic is the one you're talking about.
cooks2.jpg

cooks1.jpg

Bill is still active in the business along with his son Brian, my club has done quite a bit of business with them. http://www.cooksequipment.com

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Today I was given two "Fox Track" vehicles. I havent seen them but they have tons of spares and both run. One is in excellent shape. He told me they were Red and about 8' long. LYNDON do you know what they are? I will be going back this summer to pick them up out of his garage! Also found two 1202B 10 pass and one Imp. All with EXCELLENT tracks boggies and grousers! Will be back to pick them up as well this summer. Pics to come. These are all late model Imp and 1202s! Even has manuals in them to boot!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Also found a Kristi with serial number 23(on brass plate with key no paper id tag or even the clear plexi glass cover). Its funny looking (not a KT3 or KT2 but close) but not for sale until her son says so. Its in real bad shape (like all Kristis). She also didnt want me taking pictures. I gave her my number. Maybe I can pick it up this summer? This trip was a HUGE treasure chest of cats found! All within 30 miles of each other! See just being nice does pay off!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
After doing a quick search they may be really old snowmobiles. (Fox Track) Anyone have info? I will post serial numbers here.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Just so y'all know, last week I finished laying a braided rope of C4 explosive around the entire perimeter of the scrap yard. I called dibs on 'ONE' before this post ever started, so there! Soon the entire area will be tented and excavation will begin. I will be joined by a series of young humanitarian mechanical engineering college females (ironically on scholarship funded by Tucker), that I've recruited and have taken an interest in Thiokols and they are bringing plenty of warm fur throws for evening comfort while they listen of the tales of Lyndon (artificial fur to maintain a clear conscience of course). Unfortunately (or not) Lyndon and I will be traveling very light and may require additional body heat and tent squatting when the excavation ladies turn in for the evening within this safe perimiter from which 'ONE' will emerge... in theory... or is it a dream sequence? ;)
Hands off 'ONE'! Don't make me blow the rope! ;)

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
... Also found two 1202B 10 pass and one Imp. All with EXCELLENT tracks boggies and grousers! Will be back to pick them up as well this summer. Pics to come. These are all late model Imp and 1202s! Even has manuals in them to boot!

What... how many lucky stars were you born under? Sheesh! If I stand next to you I bet a 601 will just pop up behind me! Can't wait to see pics!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
What... how many lucky stars were you born under? Sheesh! If I stand next to you I bet a 601 will just pop up behind me! Can't wait to see pics!

When that 601 pops up behind you, I'll be operating it! Ha!

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
LYNDON, Do you have this stuff written down... or just remember it?? You should write a book for sure,as suggested here before.:respect: Keep them coming, most on here,including myself ,find these tidbits of history very interesting.:thumb:

I'll tripple down on that! We should start a fund to support Lyndon in authoring a book... would just be amazing!

koz

Fox Trac snowmobiles info -
Fox Trac was produced by the Fox Corporation of 1111 West, Racine St., Janesville, Wisconsin. They first produced the Fox Trac in the early 1960’s and ceased production after the 1972 model.

1964 Fox Trac ad
1964_FOX_TRAC_2_PP329.jpg

Last edited:

Snowcat Pat

I think Bill (snotrans) may have one of these Fox Trac machines. Surely he has the lowest serial # of all in his personal collection of snow machines.

Attachments

• Snotrans snowmobile.JPG
    Snotrans snowmobile.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 822

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now Mainer, before you get "dibs" on anymore machines I really think you oughta start work on at least one of your fleet. Otherwise all these cool machines are just gonna be rotting away in "Mainer's Trackmaster Junkyard" until some day your widow will be selling them off for scrap.