• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ski Dozer's

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our snowmobile club met last night. The Ram Ranger groomer we fixed and are using turns out to be helpless.:doh: The moulded tracks will not provide enough traction to pull the drag out of the ditches on our trails. Not to mention it is to wide for many of our bridges on the trail as well.:hammer: So we are thinking about a trailer and new tracks for the Ranger.....:doh:

But I am wondering if there is a new replacement for our old 252 Ski Dozer, and ours has a drag that folds up hydrolically onto the back of the cat. If you get stuck, fold it up and back out. For our needs the old 252 is just about right. Instead of spending money on a new unproven design, I wish we could find 2 more Ski Dozers like we have, and forget the trailer. Just locate them evenly along the trail system.

The newer cats look to me to be too big, too wide, and not what we really need to be fast and effiecent with our trail/bridge situation. We have 35+ bridges on the trails to contend with. Trailer arround each will kill more time than us voluteers have to give...:hammer:

So anyone make a unit that is less than 8" wide, weighs no more than 12,000 lbs with the drag. I realize in America bigger, badder, is better, but we need less, not more.....

Any suggestions??

I am all ears...

Regards, Kirk

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
This is one of the more cost effective and size appropriate groomers that are used in this area...

TSA-1b-for-website.gif

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry it won't fit our trails and weighs too much.....its 10" too wide.....our best trails are old RR right of ways with narrow bridges.
Thanks though,

Kirk

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Standard drag is 9', the tractor with tracks is 8'-4". They say in their information they will build to whatever size you need.

Here is the page for the 4-cyl 108 hp version.

I do some glass work for one of their shops in my area. These are very popular machines around here because unlike a "regular" cat these things do not require ten hours of maintenance for every hour on the trail, are very frugal on fuel, maneuverable, easy to operate and most of all, durable.

mattfidaho

maybe a tiller? They use them alot around here.. and they lift up out of the way.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR1L2m9Or8k"]YouTube - Snow Grooming[/ame]

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you sir....

I guess I didn't read enough of the link you sent. If they can be built for our width requirement. I like the looks of the machine, much like a farm tractor I am already more than familiar with......But the price? I am also still wondering if Minnisota Outdoors couldn't rebuild us 2 more Ski dozers for less, and we would have three vrs. one, and could more fully utilize the work force we have at critical times and get more done per hour. With 3 machines if one is down, or stuck we still have 2 moving. Plus they could be placed at each end of the trail, and one in the middle. I realize this one new one will get alot more done than one Ski Dozer by far, but what about three? We have the operators...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
matt,

A tiller would be killer!:wink: They stow on the back of the machine and you cann't argue about the trail they make....But what about width of less than 8'? Any one make one this narrow?

Thanks, Kirk

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Some good shots of the SurTrac in this video...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba6IUBhJHYA&feature=related"]YouTube - Folsom Groomers[/ame]

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like the drags, they can carry alot of snow, like the last shots in the clip, fill a huge hole.... Takes a good machins to pull one, full of snow. The smaller version for our use would be good, if only the Ram Ranger could hook up on snow....:glare:

The tiller idea on second thought might not be a good one. On the multi use trails that are paved, it would be a bit hard on the blacktop if you were to hit it, not to mention the tiller......:doh:

Any more machines out there?

I'll be going out in the Snow Trac later today doing recon, as we have drifted in sections of trail and bare, windblown parts as well. I will be looking at and calling landowners to get permission to "portage" around and over their land....

Thanks for the input so far!:wink::biggrin:

Kirk

longbed454

I agree that getting some Ski-dozer's redone would be a great.

Check out this little set up:my2cents:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY9_s_dLQWI"]YouTube - S10 Truck Groomer AmericanTrackTruck.com[/ame]