• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bloomber leaves GOP, good news for GOP 2008???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like Mayor Bloomberg is getting ready to run for president? And it looks like he may do it as an independent candidate. Not only does he have more money than Ross Perot, he has more gravitas in the political arena than Perot ever dreamed of having. Bloomberg has many detractors (I would be one of those) but he certainly has vision and a commitment to public service that cannot be denied.

Most observers suggest that if he enters the race, the GOP will be the winner of the 2008 election as Bloomberg will strip off many voters who the Democrats need. Others totally disagree and suggest he will take voters away from the Republicans. On the Democratic side, Edwards is falling fast and Obama has slid over the past week or two. The Republicans are not showing much other than fear of Fred Thompson running.

I think any impact Bloomberg makes will really depend on who the Dems and Repubs put up and what those candidates positions are in relation to Bloomberg.

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg leaves GOP

By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer 39 minutes ago

NEW YORK - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Tuesday switched his party status from Republican to unaffiliated, a stunning move certain to be seen as a prelude to an independent presidential bid that would upend the 2008 race.
Democrat before he switched to the GOP for his first mayoral run, said the change in voter registration does not mean he is running for president.

"Although my plans for the future haven't changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our city," he said in a statement.

Despite his coyness about his aspirations, the mayor's decision to switch stokes speculation that he will pursue the White House, challenging the Democratic and Republican nominees with a legitimate and well-financed third-party bid.

Bloomberg has an estimated worth of more than $5 billion and easily could underwrite a White House run, much like Texas businessman Ross Perot in 1992. Bloomberg spent more than $155 million for his two mayoral campaigns, including $85 million when he won his second term in 2005.

The 65-year-old mayor has fueled the presidential buzz with increasing out-of-state travel, including New Hampshire last weekend; a greater focus on national issues and repeated criticism of the partisan politics that dominate Washington.

"The politics of partisanship and the resulting inaction and excuses have paralyzed decision-making, primarily at the federal level, and the big issues of the day are not being addressed, leaving our future in jeopardy," he said in a speech Monday at the start of a University of Southern California conference about the advantages of nonpartisan governing.

A Bloomberg entry would roil the already volatile and wide-open race to succeed President Bush.
"If he runs, this guarantees a Republican will be the next president of the United States. The Democrats have to be shaking in their boots," said Greg Strimple, a Republican strategist in New York who is unaligned in the race.

The belief among some operatives is that Bloomberg's moderate positions would siphon votes from the Democratic nominee. Others say it's not clear and his impact would depend on the nominees.

Former Democratic Party Chairman Donald Fowler said Bloomberg would be "a disturbing factor to both parties," but the mayor would probably draw more Republican votes simply because "Republicans are more disenchanted than Democrats."

"Democrats are pretty happy with their candidates," Fowler said. "The Republicans are absolutely in disarray."

He called Bloomberg "an exceptionally capable guy" who is "hard-nosed and accomplished," but argued that the obstacles for a third-party candidate are so daunting that it would be nearly impossible for Bloomberg to win.

In 1992, Perot captured 19 percent of the popular vote as Democrat Bill Clinton seized the presidency from incumbent Republican President George H.W. Bush. Independent Ralph Nader played the spoiler in the 2000 race, taking votes from Democrat Al Gore in a disputed election won by President George W. Bush.

Most polls find Bloomberg drawing votes from Republicans.

"He could have a significant impact on the campaign," said independent pollster Scott Rasmussen. "Nationally there's a significant segment of the electorate that would give serious consideration to Bloomberg as a candidate."
Strategists say he could mount a third-party campaign by stressing that he is a two-term mayor in a Democratic city and that he built his reputation as a political independent, social moderate and fiscal conservative.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
His own money, and no party affiliation............I been hopin for this a long time...............

on a side note, could be a party trick, the rep want to pull votes from hillarious, and the dems want to pull votes to hillarious..............

you both lose mine!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
His own money, and no party affiliation............I been hopin for this a long time...............

Sounds a lot like Dr Ron Paul who, while he is a member of the GOP, runs as a Libertarian. He has pledged not to take a government pension, he votes to protect the constitution so he is often considered a social liberal and an economic conservative.

Bloomberg, on the other hand, seems to be an arrogant ass who, if he can't get things his way will buy the system and change the rules (he's done that many times).

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm siding with Bob. Bloomberg bought his way into the NYC Mayor job. I suspect he bought an endorsement from Giuliani which was what helped him get the Mayor's job.

I think he is a rich princess that has gotten his way by buying his influence.

I don't think he has a chance but I might be wrong.

Personally, he reminds me of John Kerry with a smug arrogance and a "I know what's best for you" attitude.