• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Fuel systems all models:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snow Cats tend to sit alot, kinda like your lawn mower in the winter. The fuel turns in to shellac. The really primo buy's are the EX power company or EX Phone company machines. They get used when there is a big storm, then they sit sometimes for several seasons and develop fuel problems. Of the 23 tracked vehicles I've owned, almost all of them suffered from fuel, or more correctly OLD FUEL problems.

1) clean out the fuel tank.
2) replace the filter.
3) at a minimum consider taking the carb off and have it rebuilt or at least cleaned.
4) Replace the fuel line(s).
5) replace the fuel pump.
For all those with VW powered units, the fuel pump is cheap, and easy to change out. If you are the proud owner of a machine that has a Chrysler Flat-Head Six, it will usually run well on old smelly gas. All others should drain out last years gas or run the machine dry at the end of the season.

For ST4, Snow Trac, Snow Master, & Trac Master I recommend that you rip the original under the back seat tank or tanks out and discard them. Put 'Boat' tanks on one or both of the front fenders. This serves multiple purposes.
1) eliminates needing an auxiliary fuel pump. They are obnoxious, noisy, and a slight fire hazard. As the tank is in a higher position it will actually run with a defective fuel pump.
2) It get's the fuel out of the inside of the cab which is a fire hazard especially if you have any smokers. And you gain some valuable inside storeage space.
3) Some Snow Trac tanks had leaded seams and if they leak it ruins your floor matting.(Been there, had it happen, didn't like it!)
Junk any original copper fuel line and replace it with hose. In the ST4 engine compartment it gets hot and this leads to vapor lock. Many owners resorted to an additional electric fuel pump, just to get the machine to start after a long hill climb. The 12 gallon Boat tank with the quick connect and a squeeze primer pump is my favorite. Instead of having to pour gas into the machine you simply take just the tank to the gas station with you. Also If you leave the machine parked in a public place overnight, such as many cabin owners are forced to do, you can either lock the tank up inside the machine or take it with you. This helps to preclude theft and joy riders. A dealer of my aquaintance who restores one machine a year, now takes one of the boat tanks complete with hose and squeeze bulb with him all the time and has had to resort to using it. Also carry a fire extinguisher. It's a long walk out!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Fuel systems all models:

Lyndon, I really like your suggestions but there is one thing that I do with all my equipment that tends to sit in between uses or over extended seasons. I use only premium fuel. I know it costs more, but it is typically refined to a higher standard. In fact I usually use Amoco Ultimate or Shell Premium fuel because those two (at least in my area) are clear and tend not to varnish.

I also 'stabilize' the fuel with Stabil brand fuel stabilizer.

This is done with the summer toys over winter and the winter toys over summer.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

Lyndon,
I do agree with everything you said. I too am not a fan of fuel tanks in the cab. I will be going to an outside aluminum fuel tank and will install a new mechanical pump. I will be running stainless steel braided fuel lines to the engine as well. I also try and run my vehicle once a month for 10 minutes and have fuel stabilizer in all my tanks. Would I just be better off running the tanks dry for the summer then?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Lyndon, how about some photos of the tank system you use?

And photos of how your route the fuel lines.

lowell

I have been using sta-bil stabilizer in all of my equiptment sor several years and when I need to start something up I have never had any problem. At the end of the season when I buy mu last fuel for the season I add sta-bil to the container plus a little extra then fill the container, then I make sure all the fuel tanks are empty, fill tanks start the engine let it run for about 10 minutes, next time it starts right up:whistling::whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
as a side note i had a fuel pump go out last winter and for a work around i relocated the tank to the top of the snow trac hooked up my texas credit card i always carry to the tank and gave it a suck than hooked it to the carb it worked fine and got me home