• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Back porch visitor

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
This fellow, along with another one have been visiting to partake in dry dog food for the last few nights. Now when it gets dark, the cat goes to the back door and starts the night watch.

Attachments

• Racoon.JPG
    Racoon.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 201

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing good ever came of letting those guys hang around. I would recommend removal.

In the south they have a high chance of carrying rabies. They also can carry a parasite in their feces that if your children manage to ingest the parasite (playing around trees where raccoons have pooped) will seriously screw them up.

IMO, good for target practice.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a live trap out hoping to catch one soon for a buddy wanting to train his coon dog. So far all I've caught is a cat. :eek:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Any wild creature can carry disease we dont want around humans. A more civil and LEGAL means is to trap it, or have a conservation group do it. Personally I would just feed it, but then I am a wacked out dude with too many cats on the brain. We used to have a skunk family under our drive culvert.........they were cool to watch. they would come up eat left over cat food then waddle off. I would open the door to watch him eat, never eve acted like spraying me.

oh and while I am at it, check out the first portraits from my new toys.

Attachments

• DSC_0184.jpg
    DSC_0184.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0188.jpg
    DSC_0188.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0193.jpg
    DSC_0193.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_0208.jpg
    DSC_0208.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 180

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I would be a full time hunter/trapper if I tried to get rid of all of the critters around here. The kids know not to try to catch, pet, love on, bring into the house, etc etc any animals they find in the yard. Yesterday we were in the horse barn and this huge rabbit come hopping in there. It was colored up like a wild rabbit, but was the size of a tame one. Of course they went to the house and got carrots. They were within a foot of the rabbit. So much for Dad's rules. If it is there this afternoon I will get pictures.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just shot one not too long ago. I think it was diseased. It wouldn't leave the porch. Then Misha got it and I can tell you that a raccoon is no match for a bitchy Akita. I hate shooting critters for no reason, I prefer that they just go away, but I have no real problem doing what has to be done.

FWIW, I trim back the trees from my fence line to keep the raccoon a little farther away. It won't stop them, but it does discourage them. I've had far fewer on my porch in the past couple of years since I started keeping the tree branches trimmed back a bit.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I just had 2 on the porch as of 8:30. It is definately better entertainment than what is on TV.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just shot one not too long ago. I think it was diseased. It wouldn't leave the porch. Then Misha got it and I can tell you that a raccoon is no match for a bitchy Akita. I hate shooting critters for no reason, I prefer that they just go away, but I have no real problem doing what has to be done.

FWIW, I trim back the trees from my fence line to keep the raccoon a little farther away. It won't stop them, but it does discourage them. I've had far fewer on my porch in the past couple of years since I started keeping the tree branches trimmed back a bit.

Bob you know I have no problem dispatching an animal if it is diseased or dying, but the post I responded to was just disgusting in my opinion. MOST of these are not diseased. They are hungry, and we give them a free meal when we keep dog and cat food out longer than our animals eat. To kill one for doing what is natural is just disgusting.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have no problem dispatching an animal if it is diseased or dying, but the post I responded to was just disgusting in my opinion. MOST of these are not diseased. They are hungry, and we give them a free meal when we keep dog and cat food out longer than our animals eat. To kill one for doing what is natural is just disgusting.
I never feed my dogs outside. But I also don't see any evidence that anyone else in this thread is doing that.

Raccoons can cause a huge amount of damage, they can tear siding off of houses, get into attics and cause thousands of dollars of damage. My general rule is that I don't bother them so they should not bother me, but if they bother me then they are history. Ditto coyotes. A coyote a few hundred feet from the house is a wild animal that deserves respect, a coyote inside of 100 yards is a target because it is up to no good at all, and it is getting too close for comfort.

I think most people here feel pretty much the way I do about wild critters. As long as they stay back then they are safe, but when they become pests then the animals will be treated like pests. Disposal is a viable option.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
find a cat food yours don't like and use it to bait the trap.that's how my landlord catches the really persistent ones around his farm here.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think Peanut Butter and Marshmallows are what you are supposed to use to catch raccoons. Cats won't go for it.

urednecku

Site Supporter
'Coons also love sardines. They are very smart creatures, I've watched them open dumpsters, crawl in to eat, then back out. They will open a cooler to get your food.
Here at home, if I get a chance, they are dead. I have been told by a veterinarian the pet stores that sell them, have to raise like five (5) generations rabies free before they can sell one. Rabies can/will be carried from one generation to the next.
Also, a large 'coon can/will destroy $5 to $10 worth of oranges PER NIGHT in a grove, in season. A few of these in my orange grove will destroy a pay-check quick.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like sardines too, much to the dismay of my family.