• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The importance (and genius) of the ELECTORAL COLLEGE

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
People are often confused about the purpose and need for our Electoral College system.

It supersedes a popular vote.

Imagine the power of the vote in Los Angeles county if we used a popular vote. LA County contains more voters than any of these states that are highlighted in BLUE.

Should the top urban centers simply negate the votes of entire states?

Can your interests be represented in Washington if only urban centers have votes that count?

I believe this graphic shows the need to maintain our Electoral College system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 1.35.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 1.35.33 PM.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 66

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Yep - California, NY and just a couple of other states (their cities really) could decide who gets in.
Thanks for showing it; the more people who see it the better.
That map isn't copyrighted or anything is it? I want to post it on Facebook. Other can I just copy your post?

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
People are often confused about the purpose and need for our Electoral College system.

It supersedes a popular vote.

Imagine the power of the vote in Los Angeles county if we used a popular vote. LA County contains more voters than any of these states that are highlighted in BLUE.

Should the top urban centers simply negate the votes of entire states?

Can your interests be represented in Washington if only urban centers have votes that count?

I believe this graphic shows the need to maintain our Electoral College system.

Now, would it not be nice if states had an electoral college of sorts to negate what is happening on a state level. Counties would have an electoral vote based on population. How many blue states would turn red with this system in place on a state level as well. CA is a good example of that.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Show it to every dem you can!! They're butthurt and they still blame the electoral college for their loss regardless of the shitty candidate they ran with.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Show it to every dem you can!! They're butthurt and they still blame the electoral college for their loss regardless of the shitty candidate they ran with.
Mike

Just the last 4. Gore, Kerry, Obuttmunch & Killery. Can't get much worse then that group if you tried.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Now, would it not be nice if states had an electoral college of sorts to negate what is happening on a state level. Counties would have an electoral vote based on population. How many blue states would turn red with this system in place on a state level as well. CA is a good example of that.
I wish we could have that system up here. The entire country is dictated by what happens down in Toronto. And when I was there in may, I'd guess that 3/4 of the population were yuppie liberals who comprised of mainly east indian and Chinese immigrants.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike
You can show them but they will not see.
I do believe the electoral college is the prime reason the United States has succeeded and remained one nation for over 200 years.
I had never considered the states starting up the same type of electoral college for state elections but I like the idea.
Anyone know if any state has ever tried to implement such a plan?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep - California, NY and just a couple of other states (their cities really) could decide who gets in.
Thanks for showing it; the more people who see it the better.
That map isn't copyrighted or anything is it? I want to post it on Facebook. Other can I just copy your post?

It has been shared in several places on FB already so post, post and post again!