• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vail Colorado Snow cat Jamboree 2017

Aaron Tucker

this post will be to coordinate the snow cat jamboree in Colorado :w00t2:. We still need dates . looks like some would prefer Feb or March instead of January.

There are several hotels available to stay at in Dillon or Silverthorne just 20 min down the interstate from where we will be catskiing and hanging out at Vail . I was thinking a 3 day event would be best. allowing travel time and extra time to load and unload . We could spend 1 of those days at Montezuma( AKA little Alaska ) as well.

the places Im talking about going (Vail , Montazuma) are for the big boys . Vail will have a groomed trail everywhere we want to go plus some off trail fun, Zuma will be nothing but back country and busting trail. zuma has sevral couloirs and shoots to sk:clap:i . I will also bring a grill for lunch . this is BYOB .

if any one has any suggestions Im open to everything lets use this thread and have some fun in Colorado this winter

Aaron Tucker

Some pics . Don't mind the water that was early season

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161123-084152.jpg
    Screenshot_20161123-084152.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 913
  • Screenshot_20161123-084232.jpg
    Screenshot_20161123-084232.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 915
  • Screenshot_20161123-084247.jpg
    Screenshot_20161123-084247.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 918
  • Screenshot_20161123-084300.jpg
    Screenshot_20161123-084300.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 906

Sno-Surfer

Well this sure sounds like fun. I'd make it if I can. Tall order for me cause it's a long haul but looks worth it!!
I'll be watching this one and hope to make it work. :smile:

Red130

Following. Silverthorne is only about 3 1/2 hours from our place!
Which hotel(s) have the best parking for trailers???
I've been to Montezuma, we used to ski up around the WIld Irishman Mine, but its been a long time, like 20 years. I've never towed anything beyond Keystone. Is there a place to turn around a long trailer back there somewhere?

Aaron Tucker

I'm thinking about mid March ? Yes Zuma has a big parking lot with turn around . We would probably do deer Creek or St John's trail head at Zuma

vintagebike

How about a bit more time to recover, modify and fix whatever goes wrong with our rigs in McCall? Mine will need to be rejected for the higher altitude. End of March works for me?. Steve

KT3survivor

this is great. we are in. march is usually good on both snow and weather. I would love to go to idaho but if we cant at least this is something close enough that we can deffinetly make it out for.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How about a bit more time to recover, modify and fix whatever goes wrong with our rigs in McCall? Mine will need to be rejected for the higher altitude. End of March works for me?. Steve

Steve, that's ok I've been "rejected" over and over its all good :smile:does not even take anytime at all. but in Colorado it is entirely possible to get to the "higher " altitude almost anywhere :yum:

luvthemvws

This event-in late March-is looking sooo appealing!
I'm not sure what portion of the Event you refer to when you mention "for the big boys only" (is that the Snowcat driving or the skiing?).
My knees and my ankle will not let me do any skiing.
I primarily want to thrash my Kristi through the snow.
Are these trails and areas places where we can drive aggressively? Or, will we be following in single file behind the modest pace of a vintage Tucker? Now don't get me wrong, I am not mocking any one or anyone's machine! But I have ridden in a couple of Tuckers and great speed is not what I took from the experience. I like and admire them for their strengths, but not their limitations.
Are there any ideas for non-skiing activities to go along with this event? Some sort of driving skills or navigating challenge? Some sort of Backseat Driver/Blindfolded Driver course, perhaps? Maybe a Treasure Hunt/Course Navigation Relay (like the challenges on Survivor)? A "back your loaded truck & trailer through a maze" contest, maybe? A who-can-run-over-the-most-snowmobiles competition?

I understand that many Kristy owners would love to "thrash their Kristys through the snow" - from my understanding, dream on - lol :clap:

Aaron Tucker

This event-in late March-is looking sooo appealing!
I'm not sure what portion of the Event you refer to when you mention "for the big boys only" (is that the Snowcat driving or the skiing?).
My knees and my ankle will not let me do any skiing.
I primarily want to thrash my Kristi through the snow.
Are these trails and areas places where we can drive aggressively? Or, will we be following in single file behind the modest pace of a vintage Tucker? Now don't get me wrong, I am not mocking any one or anyone's machine! But I have ridden in a couple of Tuckers and great speed is not what I took from the experience. I like and admire them for their strengths, but not their limitations.
Are there any ideas for non-skiing activities to go along with this event? Some sort of driving skills or navigating challenge? Some sort of Backseat Driver/Blindfolded Driver course, perhaps? Maybe a Treasure Hunt/Course Navigation Relay (like the challenges on Survivor)? A "back your loaded truck & trailer through a maze" contest, maybe? A who-can-run-over-the-most-snowmobiles competition?

when I say for( the big boys)I mean that your cat better be in good mechanical conditions and ready for a trek in deep powder . we can go almost where ever your cat can take you at both places i've talked about Zuma and Vail. Vail dose have some off limits places but its big rolling mountains with hundreds of miles of groomed trails . Zuma is very aggressive jagged mountains with little to no trail system.

I like your idea about playing some games .I was for the most part thinking we would see what the capablity is of our snocats . like deep pow hill climbing:clap:, side hilling :biggrin:, maybe a race ?:wow:
Im open to all kinds of ideas .

Im deffenetly thinking mid to end of march . how about the weekend of 17th -19th of march ?

here is some the link to info about Vail pass
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whiteriver/recreation/recarea/?recid=40891&actid=89

heres a link to some info about Zuma

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montezuma,_Colorado

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure I could attend any later than the 17th to the 19th. Farming is some times underway about then..

It would be nice if the group could stay in one hotel or two if side by side.. It just aids in every one getting to know one another... and coordination of getting going in the mornings.

Sounds like a great time. I hope as the new year unfolds that I am able to attend. Farming will be about the only thing that can keep me away. :ermm:

I will be watching this thread... :biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

luvthemvws

I think March 17-19 would be great!
Now I just need to build a set of tracks, assemble an engine, build a hydraulic system...3 months, nothin to it!

mkntrakes

Maybe you should consider camp hale lots more parking and less snowmobiles. Leadville would be a good place for every one to get rooms

KT3survivor

Maybe you should consider camp hale lots more parking and less snowmobiles. Leadville would be a good place for every one to get rooms

I was planning on parking at camp hale for the vail portion. much easier to park a truck and trailer there and the trails connect near the top of vail pass anyway. plus camp hale is just cool!

Aaron Tucker

Anyone that can should use camp hail if they live or want to stay on that side .I have sevral buddys that come from the camp hail side I live in Frisco during the winter tho and do not want to drive the extra 2 1/2 hr to go snowcating its hard enogh getting my 3 girls out the door :yum: .

The Vail pass parking is great if you get up early and get out . If you wait till 10:30 you mit not get parking and would have to drive over to the camp hail side . I was just planning on saving several spots for others and getting there early on the days we go to Vail

Red130

How do you pay the Forest Service user fee for the Vail Pass area at Camp Hale? Is there a drop box there?

KT3survivor

registered mine today. wasnt a big deal but the first thing she asked me for was a bill of sale. last time i got tags on a snow machine all i had was the previous owners registration card.
but truthfully it was painless. I even had them correct the year from '63 to '65. try doing that at the DMV without headache
:pee_smilie:

KT3survivor

no extra taxes that i know of but snow machines are $5 more than summer ohv tags in colorado. they didnt ask about displacement or anything so i dont think cats are treated any different than a snowmobile here.

Aaron Tucker

snocats are treated just like snowmobiles in Colorado. its only like $35 to register. I'm about to make my first trip of the season on new years weekend . ill get some pics for this thread

Aaron Tucker

Vail dates are confirmed and set 17th -19th of March please call me if you have any questions about the Vail meet 7196501901

Aaron Tucker

Well it looks like we are starting to get a decent Cat jamboree put together . I haven't made it out yet this year ,but I will soon . Word is that everything has filled in at Vail and all trails are groomed . Montezuma is still untouched and wild as ever.
I just got my cat fixed up and ready to slay some pow , new master cylinder/brake lines , fully rebuilt carburetor and of course some welding . full track emergency kit , pins, rollers and grousers .