• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Painting - Wagner sprayer

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had one of these Wager painters for a couple of years and used it again today, figured I'd share my thoughts.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/wagner_paint_crew_spray,43225,747.html
Paint_Crew_set.jpg

Mine looks like the one in the photo, and I'm pretty happy with it, but it is probably not good enough for a pro. Still, for the few times I've used it, it has paid for itself in time savings. Today I went to one of my little retail stores that is under construction. The store is about 1800 square feet with 14' walls in the showroom area, 10' tall walls in the back storage area. Basically the store is divided in half, so there are 4 perimeter walls and then one dividing wall that bisects the store (there are also a couple small areas/bathroom/closet). But for the most part I had to prime & paint 2 large rooms.

Starting about 8:30 am this morning, I sprayed a coat of primer over the entire store, using up 10 gallons of primer (needed 9.5 so I just kept spraying until the hopper was empty). Then I sprayed 10 gallons of paint over the primer (quick drying primer) and was packing up the car before 12:30pm this afternoon.

Most brands of primer that I have used need to be thinned or the Wagner won't spray it. It clogs the spray tip and shuts down the sprayer.

Depending on the model, some have 3/8th hp motors, mine is a 1/2 hp. The sprayer comes with a 25' hose, which I find is long enough for interior work. If I was spraying outside walls I think I'd prefer a longer hose, at least 35' or maybe even 50' long.

The handle/nozzle portion of the sprayer has a locking cam, I can't figure out why it is a feature, it occasionally gets accidentally engaged and really is just a pain in the rear. But maybe someone finds some use in a trigger lock on this sprayer? The trigger itself is a full hand trigger, not a 1 finger trigger. I really like that feature because it is easy to use, and is not fatiguing, even after hours of use. The nozzle itself is a small piece held in place by a guard. I really don't know the purpose of the guard it doesn't seem to do anything.

The main body of the unit contains a gravity fed hopper that holds about 2 gallons. The paint filters through a rough plastic screen down into the pump. There are 2 settings plus a power switch. The settings are PRIME and SPRAY. When set to PRIME the pump simply primes and recirculates the paint. When set to SPRAY the paint is pumped through the hose to the handle/nozzle.

As for performance, I have nothing to judge it against. Its the only brand or type of sprayer I've ever used. What I know is that it beats the heck out of rolling paint. The unit is fast. It is easy to operate. It is easy to control the spray and within a few minutes of used you get the hang of spraying without dripping. The volume of paint delivered requires that you make 2 smooth passes over each area to get full coverage.

For under $200, I think anyone who hates to paint, but has a few larger projects in their future will find this a very useful tool.

Deerlope

I have an older model power painter which will pull directly out of a 1 gallon or a 5 gallon pail. I use it mostly for staining my house,garage and camp 12 years ago and have not used it since. Maybe I should soon just to be sure it still works.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
A local store has these on sale for $150 and I just bought one yesterday. I've been looking at paint sprayers for a while and I figured for $150 I would take a gamble on it. I have to check and see what the HP is but I assume it is 3/8.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you have to do any taping off of areas and was that included in the time the job took?

How about the fumes for inside painting? Did you have an exhaust fan of some sort?

I've never tried spraying but for indoor with all the trim (especially if all four walls are not being painted the same color) I couldn't envision much of a time savings spraying.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc . . . Only the front window and the furncace had to be taped off. This is new construction there was no floor, no interior doors/frames/trim, the drop ceiling is also not installed. As for fumes/paint, I was wearing a respirator.

PBinWA . . . there are a couple different models of these things sold by Wagner. What are you planning on painting?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA . . . there are a couple different models of these things sold by Wagner. What are you planning on painting?

I don't really have any immediate plans. I'll probably use it to paint my shed if I get some time. It was an impulse buy more than anything.

Mostly latex and some oil paints. I guess. Nothing too ambitious.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I am in the process of painting my second house with this Wagner sprayer. After using this sprayer there is no way I could go back to a brush and roller for the body of a house. If this sprayer were to malfunction I would purchase another one in a minute.
I am providing a link to a video of me spraying a section of the house so that anyone interested can see how easy it is to use and that it gives great coverage.

Painting with Wagner sprayer

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Man - I wish I had a one story house. I'm still wondering how I'm going to get that thing up on top of a 40 ft. ladder. :eek:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am providing a link to a video of me spraying a section of the house
You missed a spot :yum:

I don't wear 1/4 of the safety gear you do...

I've got a Wagner but it's not as fancy as yours. I've honestly never used it. Mrs. Zoom likes to paint (and I hate it) so I just let her take care of painting.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Wagner like Deerlope's.Primed and painted my house and the cheap gun wore out. Valve would not close all the way. I think the primer wore thru the seat. It was what the military calls a "one time use item",ie: you cant take it apart to change parts. Bought a good Graco gun and have painted two friends houses w/ no problems.
A professional painter friend told me a neat trick to use w/ latex paint. If you run out of paint and have only a few sq ft to go,dump water in the can/bucket to "chase" the remaining paint out of the pump and hose. I tried this and it works. Just have to watch closely for paint starting to thin.
Mike

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Wagner like Deerlope's.Primed and painted my house and the cheap gun wore out. Valve would not close all the way. I think the primer wore thru the seat. It was what the military calls a "one time use item",ie: you cant take it apart to change parts. Bought a good Graco gun and have painted two friends houses w/ no problems.
A professional painter friend told me a neat trick to use w/ latex paint. If you run out of paint and have only a few sq ft to go,dump water in the can/bucket to "chase" the remaining paint out of the pump and hose. I tried this and it works. Just have to watch closely for paint starting to thin.
Mike

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Wagner like Deerlope's.Primed and painted my house and the cheap gun wore out.

I have cleaned this unit after four times using it and it is a breeze. All of the components of the gun are easily removed for cleaning. I have read a lot about failures in this particular model online but most are attributed to not properly cleaning it just after finishing using it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have cleaned this unit after four times using it and it is a breeze. All of the components of the gun are easily removed for cleaning. I have read a lot about failures in this particular model online but most are attributed to not properly cleaning it just after finishing using it.

Next time I paint I'll be sure to let you know 'cause I must not know the first thing about cleaning paint guns.
Mike