• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Importing DVD movies into iTunes?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've imported several CDs into my iTunes for use with my iPod. But I can't figure out how to import a DVD into my iTunes. Does anyone have a clue how to do that?

I have a DVD of a movie that I want to import into my iTunes library so I can watch it on an airplane while flying to Washington. I know I can play it on the internal DVD player in my laptop, but that wears the battery down pretty fast so I figured I'd import it to iTunes and simply play it off the computer hard drive.

Anyone done this? If so, how? :confused2:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Bob, I can't help you, but you can celebrate that I broke down on Friday and bought an iPod. :cool2: I've always refused to pay a premium for the "iPod" brand when I got just as good of a player with Creative Labs or SansDisk players. But, on Friday I noticed that the new 8 GB iPod Nano was right at the same price as the other chip driven 8 GB units so I bought one. I haven't decided if I like the interface the best yet, but I do like it better than Creative Labs versions. I still like SansDisk's controls. I've gotten used to being able to use them to listen to audiobooks in the dark (as to not disturb the Mrs.).

I had to re-install iTunes on my computer though. I'd decided last year that I didn't care for iTunes as compared to WinAmp, but I suppose I'll have to learn iTunes now. I'll let you know if I figure out how to operate it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, next thing your are going to confess is that you 'switched' from the dark side and bought a MAC too.

I'm still trying to figure out all the controls on iTunes. As I admitted, I played with them in the past but dismissed them as toys, now I'm pretty much sold on iPods.

BTW, the 30gig iPod Video is the same price as the 8gig iPod Nano. Nano is nice and small with flash drive. Compared to the Nano the 30gig unit is like a brick and uses a hard drive so it has its disadvantages. The advantage is that you can watch some things, in a pinch, and then there is the extra storage. I've got about 13gigabites of stuff on my Video iPod. I gave my Nano to one of my sales guys (after I loaded it with sales training tapes).

But I would really like to know how to get a DVD copied into the iTunes!!!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Is it a copy protected DVD (i.e. Macrovision). It's against the law to copy those to another format (Just an fyi). However, it can be done but it's not entirely ethical.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why is it ethical to make a back up copy of a CD on your computer and import that into iTunes for playing on an iPod but it is not ethical to do the same with a DVD?

And how do I do it? I just want to play my own movie!!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just bought the Creative Labs 30gig Zen Vision M and used it for the first time today on the tractor (4 hours). Really neat to jam while operating! I had every intention on going with the iPod but they don't have a FM tuner, I need that for my conservative talk radio ............ lol! Went on a web search looking for the alternatives and this one received the best reviews from numerous sources so I bought one on sale @ Circuit City for $230. I haven't done the video yet but it suppose to do it even if copyrighted. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to it. The software is very simple to use too, always a plus.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Really neat to jam while operating!

Now go get yourself a pair of over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones. You won't believe the difference. You will also be amazed at all the different noises your tractor makes. The exhaust note goes away, and the injectors become the dominant sound. You will also be able to tell instantly when something is wrong/different. I had the noise cancelling headphones on once, and I could tell one of the mower blades was out of balance becuase of the different sound it was making.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Now go get yourself a pair of over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones. You won't believe the difference. You will also be amazed at all the different noises your tractor makes. The exhaust note goes away, and the injectors become the dominant sound. You will also be able to tell instantly when something is wrong/different. I had the noise cancelling headphones on once, and I could tell one of the mower blades was out of balance becuase of the different sound it was making.

I did ...............:D

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
And how do I do it? I just want to play my own movie!!!

Answer my first question. Is it a mainstream DVD or something less likely to have serious copy protection? Yes it makes a difference. Some of the easy to use tools won't let you copy the high-end DVDs but will let you copy basic stuff.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA. . . it is a mainstream commercial release movie called SERENITY based on the sci-fi TV series FIREFLY. I believe it was released by Universal in 2005 on DVD. I just want to import it into iTunes for playback on my computer.

Big Dog. . . don't know about the Zen Vision but with the iPod it is easy to get videos into the iPod if you get them through the iTunes program, I have a several videos in my iPod now but I'm not sure how often I'll be watching on the iPod. I want to get use the iTunes for playback on the computer so I don't have to carry the disks with me.

DaveNay. . . I've got a set of Radio Shack noise cancelling headphones, I've seen the exact same headphones sold under 4 or 5 other brand names, usually for $20 to $40 more than they sell for at Radio Shack. However I'm looking at a set of Sennheiser PXC300 with their newest noise cancelling technology.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
PBinWA. . . it is a mainstream commercial release movie called SERENITY based on the sci-fi TV series FIREFLY. I believe it was released by Universal in 2005 on DVD. I just want to import it into iTunes for playback on my computer.

Try the link Dave posted. That should work. Let us know if it doesn't.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, I found a free program called "Instant Handbrake" and it is a dream to use. Easily converts most DVDs into a format that works perfectly for the iPod. I tried a couple other programs and they were slow or unreliable. But the Instant Handbrake works great.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/