• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ceramic tile backsplash question

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We're going to put in new counter tops in the kitchen.

As part of Mrs. Zoom's design, ceramic tile will go between the counters and the kitchen cabinets.

Right now, it's painted drywall. The tile Mrs. Zoom got is pretty thick (1/4"?). If I sand the surface to rough up the drywall and remove some paint, do you think the tile will stay up there OK or might it want to tear away after time? I really don't want to rip the drywall out and put up concrete backer-board or blue board but will add that step if there's a reasonable chance that the tile may pull off.

Thoughts?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Dont know if the extra thickness would be a problem BC , But I,ve allways used liquid nails to secure a thin 1/8 inch piece of plywood to the sheetrock first & glued the ceramic tile directlly to that . I never had any come loose before . Just a thought . :biggrin: Bob

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
My bathroom tiles are a 1/4" thick as well. They glued to dry wall now for 25 years. None have ever come loose at all. It was amazing how hard they where to replace in one bathroom we remodeled last year.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Put them over drywall several times. No need to rough up as long as the surface is good and clean.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I've got 6" + 6" + 1/4" tiles on drywall and have had no problems

Attachments

• sept 13 (Medium).jpg
    sept 13 (Medium).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 58

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just make sure the painted drywall is really clean. If there is any grease or foreign material on the wall the mastic or whatever it's called may not adhere to the wall. I see it installed on painted walls all the time.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Put them over drywall several times. No need to rough up as long as the surface is good and clean.

I would agree on new drywall , But on older & painted on drywall . I,d rather be safe then sorry . I,ve seen a lot fail that others have done after the fact . Just my opinion . :biggrin:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Trained Wife! :w00t2:

I've since put rope lighting and a trim railing on top of the cabinets

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I would only be concerned about the walls if they were REALLY filthy with food splatter and grease trails running down the paint. I put the tile up for our backsplash from the granite tops to the underside of the cabinets using the recommended mastic for the porcelain tile we purchased. This was a couple years ago, and there is no problem. As a matter of fact, I just went over to them and tapped on them to see if I could hear any hollow spots, and everything is rock solid. As you can see in the picture below (just ignore the junk on the stove), this area is around the stove which has been there since the house was built in '92, and had not even been painted in that time. I did nothing to the walls other than apply mastic and install the tiles.

FWIW, I do this as part of my Handyman business, and have never had a failure in over 30 years. The mastics today are fantastic. Also, do yourself a favor and go to Lowes or Home Depot to see the many different tile ideas they have on display. There are lots of great design ideas with accent pieces and ribbon strips that can make your project "pop."

092909Baking.jpg

P1000957.jpg

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Benspawpaw - I would think that it would work. I also think that it would add an awful lot of time and expense.