• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Steering Problems

snowbird

I'm not experienced in operating my Bombardier SkiDozer, but I'm wondering if I need to either adjust the tension on the brake bands or possibly put on new brake material. I need to pull really hard on my steering levers and usually there's quite a pause before my vehicle starts to turn. If I do need new brake liners, is that a pretty icky job changing them?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not experienced in operating my Bombardier SkiDozer, but I'm wondering if I need to either adjust the tension on the brake bands or possibly put on new brake material. I need to pull really hard on my steering levers and usually there's quite a pause before my vehicle starts to turn. If I do need new brake liners, is that a pretty icky job changing them?

What fluid are you running? is the machine stored in your shop or outside?
did you look at the bands? they may need to be replaced we have them 300 a set riveted onto the bands you do not need to pull the diff.

snowbird

Sometimes it's in my heated shop and sometimes it's sitting outside. I put the recommended fluid into the differential (I think it was SAE 90, but I can't remember for sure) after draining the old stuff and cleaning out the compartment.
I think the opinion when I bought the machine was that the bands were OK, but maybe they were marginal. I think I'll try parking the machine in my shop this afternoon and see if there's any more adjustment left on the mechanism right in front of the brake bands, but I believe there aren't many threads left. It's pretty scarey to pull on levers and nothing much happens.

Thanks for your input. I hope I don't have to purchase new bands.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have 90W in there at 6-10 degrees that is your problem it will take 2-3 days in a shop to warm the oil. Bombardier started saying to use ATF and many did. it sold ring and pinions @1300 set, we recommend Transhydraulic fluid have been using it for years with very good sucess the ring and oinion problems go away. you may have to adjust .....are you pulling your drag with this? that will change how it steers alot. must will go to ram steer with the drags. then you do not use your steering levers at all or only in very tight turns

snowbird

If ATF is what you suggested, I'm sure that's what I used. I'll check it out shortly when I take off the cover for the differential. I'll also try to estimate how thick the brake material is that's left.

I'm such a newbie I don't even know what you mean by ram steering. I have the steering problem even without the drag, although I had tried towing it around a little Wednesday.

Thanks for your advice. I'll get back to the forum later. If can get things working properly, I might even be able to figure out how to post some video. We do have some snow now.