• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need Central Utah Snowcat Buddy, Im Stuck.

2datop

Im in Central Utah and looking for a cat buddy to exchange helping each other out... with breakdowns, getting stuck etc.

Yup... Im stuck. :sad:

I know now what Idaho Matt was talking about when he said plowing a side hill can cause his a$$ to kick out .....

Im off a side hill... she wont go any further... trees have her.

I have a winch on the back... and it didn't have the power to move the cat.

I picked up a front winch, already have receiver hitch on plow, ... and need a ride back up to her to see if that will be enough.

my cat is a DMC 1200 about 6200 lbs. 36" tracks.

will need a plow. Grade is about 30% for about 2 miles.. already busted trail so shouldn't be too bad until it snows again.

Cat is about 5 miles from unload zone. Zone is about 3 miles from main highway, just off of I-15.

Anyone ready for an adventure? :brows:

Nephi area, Central Utah, my cell *** *** ****

Moderators Note: Cell number has been removed. If interested or you can help please Private Message 2datop to get number.

jc

not very good pics... here is some short vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61GQlpVz5IU"]YouTube - Cat Stuck 2011.MP4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqt1iS2thmA"]YouTube - 3rd view.MP4[/ame]

and the road going up...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVFVhV2fhQ"]YouTube - Snowcat climbing a 30% grade Thiokol Spryte[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

snow dog

With a fair amout of shoveling you should be able to drive her out. You need to shovel out the high track down to make it level, then shovel a road out of the trees.

Mtn-Track

You have several options available that I see. Sorry, me and my cat are not one of them since I'm too far away.:sad:

First, it doesn't really matter what rating your winch is. You can significantly increase it's pulling power with some winch pulleys. Do a 4-to-1 with a 2000# winch and you could probably pull your machine up a cliff. Secondly, like snow dog said, do some digging on the up-hill side...but not before clearing out whats under the cat to limit "high centering". Thirdly, if you have ANY room to move the cat forward or back, then you are in much better shape.

Once you've done the above, take your winch cable from the back and string it across the trail and through a pulley. Attach the pulley to a hefty tree (or 2), even if you have to use several lengths of chain to get the pulley closer to the machine. Then attach the hook-end of the cable to the front of the cat and tension the cable. This will keep the cat from sliding more off the trail. As you work the cat forward and back in small increments, keep reeling in the winch. Take your time and eventually you should be able to swing the cat back up on the trail, or at least get it clear of the trees enough to do a 4-to-1 with your winch and literally drag it out.

If you get up there with the other winch for the front, then do the same senario only using each winch cable attached to separate trees across the trail.

Hope this helps as it's what I've done before with other equipment!

Last edited:
Snow dog and Mtn-Track are right about the self extract method. Even with another snowcat to help pull or winch you need to do a fair amount of shoveling to get unstuck without damaging your cat or equipment. Since you are wedged up against the trees and are thinking you need to be pulled sideways, there is a lot of resistance along the length of your tracks and leveraging off of the rear winch mount or front plow puts a lot of strain on the frame and it can bend it, damage the plow or over stress the winch.

Shoveling underneath to first level the cat and then using the process described by Mtn-Track is the best way to extract with or without another cat. Best of luck!

mattfidaho

that always sucks :-/
How long has it been sitting? the snow has set up after you left it... good and bad. if there is snow packed in around the tracks that doesnt help when it sets up, but the other snow has also set up so it can help some.

if you have pulleys that will help a TON, it looks like the front is still pointed up hill some? all the other responses on self rescue are dead on.
looks like you are 300 miles from me :-/

be careful on spinning tracks if you can rig up a winch with pulleys you will be ahead of the game.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
air baggs would be a big help that way you could lift it than shovel snow under the tracks to level it than snow shoe out a trail to get a start the next morning it should drive right out

berg

Are you up salt Creek or Nebo Loop?

I got some warn snatch blocks and 100' of 5/16" cable.... I'm north of you in Orem.

There is a guy with a 80's Tucker locally that helps with search and rescue - I'll see if I can locate the owner.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm about two hours away, but my Tucker with blade is still in overhaul status and not operational (it's not even on tracks). I know this is no help now, but next year I should be available.

Good luck and keep us posted...

bombthebest

One very easy solution is to hook-up 1 or 2 chains on the track grousers (center of the tracks), and use the cat's traction to "roll" on your chain (s).
It takes carefull planing here," been there, done that" 2 times actually.

I pulled myself out of real bad situations like this.

Both times with a BR-180 AND drag.
You can use one chain only and it will pull you sideways or use both to pull
straight.
Of course, you have to watch chain lengt so you don't catch it in the sprockets and, if you can, do it with the longest chains possible,( the chains will be under the tracks...
I hope you understand my idea here, it's really simple but hard to describe in english
for a French Canadian dude he-he!!!.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
One very easy solution is to hook-up 1 or 2 chains on the track grousers (center of the tracks), and use the cat's traction to "roll" on your chain (s).
It takes carefull planing here," been there, done that" 2 times actually.

I pulled myself out of real bad situations like this.

Both times with a BR-180 AND drag.
You can use one chain only and it will pull you sideways or use both to pull
straight.
Of course, you have to watch chain lengt so you don't catch it in the sprockets and, if you can, do it with the longest chains possible,( the chains will be under the tracks...
I hope you understand my idea here, it's really simple but hard to describe in english
for a French Canadian dude he-he!!!.
good idea reps for that one

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have done that with chains and logs to unstick a dozer and trackloader before. Take it slow and it helps to have a helper for extra eyes.

the old trucker

Maybe if you had a built in winch like this bolted to your drive sprocket. There is a piece with a cable on it that slips inside this pipe & secures with a pin. When you put it in gear you winch yourself out. When finished pull the pin. This one is on a Bombardier B12.

New1.jpg

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
pulleys are going to be your best friend!
I would use at least enough to get a 4 or 5 times advantage

below is a rope block set up but you can do it with separate snatch blocks
en0562a0174im.jpg

I've done it like Bill has walking the logs under the tracks
I used ratchet straps to hook them to tracks just be careful when they come up the back

tom

2datop

UPDATE

First, thanks to all for the suggestions... really helped....

We went back up.
Mona Pole Canyon, the front side of Nebo.

2datopspryte
The cat 39 degree tilt... yup.. I checked with a digital level.
2datopspryte

digging snow.... coal shovel best for the light fluffy stuff, reg shovel for the crusty hard stuff.
2datopspryte

winch all hooked up... 2 snatch blocks.... for three lines.
2datopspryte

trees ready to stand tall and hold their ground...
2datopspryte

Dug all the snow out from front..

went to dig snow under upper track.... and it is on dirt.

When it slid down... it must have pushed the snow down, not sure.

We used 2 snatch blocks and it almost moved the cat, but not quite. Was putting more stress on the blade than I liked so we stopped.

Ran out of daylight.

Thursday we are going to add 3 more snatch blocks. and attach winch to corner hook on frame.

gonna double check all of upper track to make sure it is on the ground.

gotta get this out today or won't be able to get access for while... my ATV with tracks barely made it with the trail broke... fresh powder... no way.

Last edited:

Lia

Banned
Well, keep us posted 2datop, let us all know how it goes... The community spirit, advice and support here has shown what neighborliness is all about. Truly good people.

The video's were interesting, but that last video was awesome! It was almost as good as what one thinks it would be like to drive one of those Cats, and that was one awesome trip. I loved that video... Yeah, I know, sad, ain't I? lol

snow dog

it is critical that the tail hold on the trees be higher, so the cat is lifted and drug rather that pulled down into the hill.

berg

wonder if you could get an air jack under there... light weight and portable small ones and can lift 8800 lbs. Raise it using your exhaust.
I'd guess there are plenty tow truck /wrecker outfits near I-15 in nephi and I bet they would rent you something to get it off the ground safely.

air jack like this..
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bushranger-X-Jack-Arb-Recovery-Gear/dp/B0010E53RK"]Amazon.com: Bushranger X-Jack Arb Recovery Gear: Automotive[/ame]

2datop

good news...

not great but good.

we are out about 15'. past the tree and no longer are sidways...

now Im having issues with the blade. the electric pump has a short and is blowing fuses....

so some field repair is in order.

Heres what we did that worked.

Added 3 more snatch blocks... so yes... pulleys are my best friend... next to all you guys who told me how to do this... :smile:

we went forward and away from the tree, just enough to clear the tree about 6".

Then I followed the expert advise one more time... and backed up. with the brake on the lower track and the cat spun perfect. did this several times while continueing to dig and to pull with the winch.

we are now safe.... not yet done... but safe.

Im now having issues with my blade. I have an electrical short. it keeps blowing fuses.

going to have to trace all the wires, see if I can tell what is going on.

The blade mount did ok for the winch. I am considering attatching a receiver hitch on each corner for these side mounts... Im also considering not sliding off the road again. :whistling:

I did notice my alternator had a hard time keeping up with the draw of the winch... so lots of breaks... pull a foot... take a break... just enough time to really dig the snow in alignment with where the cat wanted to go.

the cat is secured and will spend a few nights on the mtn....

Utah is expecting a significant storm the next three days.

Now i just need to figure out how to get back up there after this next storm.

Lia, Glad you enjoyed that video... same mtn... diff trip... i do love this canyon... year round.

guys... thanks again for all the suggestions... it really gave me guidelines as to what to do...

mattfidaho

most likely you will get sideways again, :) I still do.. just a learning experience each time.
on side hills like that if the snow isnt solid I have used the bade to push the snow over the "edge" then back up and repeat. that is if you cant just cut it but you never really know until you are there and see what the snow is like.
also I have notice you start to slide once you stop moving, so even just a slow steady crawl can help keep you moving forward (again it all depends on the snow / angle etc)
I never really know what I will end up doing from day to day until I get there :)

and one other thing I have learned is pushing too much snow will also cause problems. most of the time less is better, unless I am doing the bade then push over the side deal.

others might have better ideas but that has been my learning as you go so far :)

northeastheavy

Man, You were really stuck. Great pictures!! Hope the rest goes smoothly and no damage to the cat! Does make me want to put a winch on for next year!!!
That sprocket attachment on the old b12 looks like a good idea also.!!!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
go to extremehagglunds.com and watch the mountian rescue video thats how its done at 9000 ft at night

In fairness I've never done a similar vehicle recovery, but snapping a winch cable during the recovery (causing the rescuee to go plunging down the mountain) strikes me as something not to do.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
My mistake.

The video kind of dragged on and on. I saw something snap in a big way and I thought it was the cable...

Either way (cable or snatch block failure) I don't think that's a shining example of "how it's done" at any elevation, day or night.

In the OP's situation, the Thiokol was right up against a tree. Had he experienced a snatch block failure it likely would have resulted in significant damage to the cab. I doubt he would have been happy with that result (I know I wouldn't).

2datop

Update...

The Rescue ATV broke down half way up the mtn. Repair made today and the rescue ATV has been recovered. It won't go where the cat will, but we should get close. Hoping to get this wrapped up quickly. Between weather, work, and being a dad....
this is taking way longer than I like. Biggest prob is still getting to the cat to do what needs to be done.