• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol?

kl1256

Need help to find out what year and model my thiokol is. I bought it to restore. Looking for a manual and miscellaneous parts.
Can anyone help me out.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC02999.jpg
    DSC02999.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 805
  • DSC03000.jpg
    DSC03000.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 787
  • DSC03001.jpg
    DSC03001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 780

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I am sure some old restorer will be along shortly and tell you everything about that model and also who the last 15 owners were too .

Welcome to the best group of restored vintage snowcats owners on the web . If it ain't here it was never made !!!!!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that is certainly a 4-t and some other thiokol guys can tell you more about it i kind of like those old cat's because of how they steer

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
looking at your screen name i'm guessing you are also a ham feel free to get on 2 meters and call me up on the alaska reflector some time

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
that is certainly a 4-t and some other thiokol guys can tell you more about it i kind of like those old cat's because of how they steer

Ya I think dds is right..4t of somekind. Maybe we can get Mainer to give a little 4t history lesson---pre 1961??? Mainer???

Is the data plate still inside the cat??

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
That was a 4T10. The cabin looks to have been modified. It is definately early 60s vintage. I have one in my back yard. Does it run?

Last edited:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Need help to find out what year and model my thiokol is. I bought it to restore. Looking for a manual and miscellaneous parts.
Can anyone help me out.
Thanks

The machine is a Thiokol Trackmaster model 4T8N. I'd put it at a 1960/61 given it has the features of the earliest years. The cab is standard design of the earliest models post-University design when Thiokol took over the IP. Notice the narrow track design (hence N) which was more for ice than snow.
The front and rear steel frame parts are non-standard add-ons. The rear tow bar has been beefed up a bit. The bar between the two rear diffs is an add-on after it was determined that the prior steel tube was insufficient and would fail. The standard Thiokol re-issued tube was more substantial however the square stock there is non-standard/home-brew but clearly will do the job. The windows are the right early design... a bit more simplistic than the 61's which leads me to it being a 1960/61. You'll notice the 4T8's had the slightly more slanted front panel design as well which made them somewhat unique as well as the shorter cab design but Thiokol kept the chassis the same. The 4T8 is a bit odd for that reason which is one reason why there were very few produced.

Here are a few pics for your reference....

I add a pic of an early model 4T10 so you can see the cab difference in length and also note the exhaust is early-location same as yours (prior to routing under body). Note the angled door which yours should have as well. I'm not sure why but it seems yours has some sort of either body reinforcements or has had panel replacement...or something else. Sometimes people get their fingers into these and 'do things'...some times proper, sometimes not, hard to say.

The third-to-last pic is the following year 4T10 where they settled in on the final front-end and rear door design...these were the teenage years...this photo has some non-standard bits on it but it's a nice photo that shows back-to-back the rear door comparison and the updated front-angle design.

Then, you'll see the maturation of the Trackmaster 4T10 from teenager to adult and that is in the form of the Thiokol 601--painted proper Air Force blue. This particular example is finest 601 restoration on the planet as meticulously and masterfully done by Weatherby on the forum. The full concours restoration thread was kindly posted by Weatherby and you can use it as reference for some of your work (minus differences of course).

I haven't commented on any of the differences in drive train, track design, etc... as that's been covered under seperate threads that you can research.

It's good to see some more Thiokol discussion after people have been somewhat distracted by all this Tucker conversation... whew. Breath of proper 2-track air. :yum:

You've probably already done it but you can go onto youtube and do some 4T10/601 searches to see them playing in the snow. You'll notice that they are faster than all other cats of the period (exception being the bombi-bus but that's a different type of unit so hard to include in a proper comparison).

Feel free to PM me with questions. If at some point you decide to sell it, please let me know first as the museum could always use more unique specimens.

Attachments

• Thio4T8.jpg
    Thio4T8.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 730
  • Thiokol 4T8.jpg
    Thiokol 4T8.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 726
  • n01-15.jpg
    n01-15.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 731
  • Th_4T10.jpg
    Th_4T10.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 716
  • Th601.jpg
    Th601.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 717
  • Th6MeatWagon.jpg
    Th6MeatWagon.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
Mainer...that is great history and information...I love the decal on the side of the highly modified 601:w00t2:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't really think that is a decal........ just a photo shop moment. her foot is covering the tire ever so little. :whistling:

Well, yes, but a 'bad photoshop moment'... I just threw it on there for giggles so I think DLM was being kind... I thought most of us would recognize it as one of our forum members dancing avatars anyway... :boobies:

You guys...keep your eyes on the machinery! :brows:

Attachments

• thdancinggirlrr2.gif
    thdancinggirlrr2.gif
    909.1 KB · Views: 725

weatherby

Just another pic. for your viewing pleasure.

Mainer pretty much said it all:thumb: and welcome to the Forum KL1256

weatherby

whoops....... forgot the pic in the above post (been away from the PC for to many days)

Attachments

• sagle642.jpg
    sagle642.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 663

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
It is very interesting how the roof has evolved on these very early Thiokols. From a significant curved roof line in the 4VL to slightly curved in the 4T8 to the nearly straight line in the 4T10 and the 600 series

Snoscat.jpg

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Agree. I think they were looking to ease production with straighter lines (benefit to sheet as well as structural steel templates), as well as increase cargo room on top (again benefits in decrease in curvature). Minimal difference in aerodynamics with exception to some snow build-up post curve peak, but not much to that. Headroom decreased but then they just painted brighter orange on the roof cross-members as warning to all entering the 'low-rider' 6-profile.
Track designs of course are drastically different... and of course window areas and shapes. Leaving drive train out given coverage elsewhere.

I think the bar-pole in the 6-series was a nice add-on for the Air Force gents evening entertainment... 3rd party after-market add-on of course. Rumor was an early snowcat improvement project by some (at the time), young guy out of Brainerd with an eye for entertainment. ;)

socal4t12

Nice to see another 4T coming out of the woods for a restro project. Its a shame that there is no data plate to give it a proper date and serial number. When you get a chance, drop your cat and info into the 4T registration thread here. I think youve got the only 4T8 in the site.

impster

Hey All, Was wondering what cats used a big gm I-6cyl? I found one in a junk yard. It has the motor facing backwards. No ID of any kind.(just gm on the side of the block) Only seating for one person. Very small cab.(dosen`t look like any kind Kristi, bombi, ect.) maybe a homebuilt unit.(the yard owner sead he "didn`t remember what kind it was but that it wasn`t a homebuilt" It has the all weather tracks.(steel grozers) This thing looks home made to me though! Thanks, Robbie in Wyoming

snow dog

Hello Robbie,
If you post a picture there is a good chance you'll get an answer.

By the way, welcome to the forums

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
could be a nodwell i have seen some with gm power plants but never a rear engine the engine could have changed

impster

Thanks Guys! I think that it maybe a snow-trac that has been retrofitted with GM power. I saw what was left of the cab and thats what it looks like to me. I also saw that the motor mounts had been really hacked up in order to mount that power plant/3 speed combo.(also has a spedometer that was just hung off the side of the "dash") It has definetly been modded a lot! Don`t know what he wants for it, nor what I`d do with such a thing these days.(as I`m not in broadcasting anymore)Robbie in Wyoming