• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Villi's Snow Trac Tools

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
OK I'm stumped.

I supposed that one day I'll have to dig through the stack of manuals I have and see if it is mentioned in any of them?

Looks to me like an extension tool to get to a nut or bolt that is obstructed.

Key for crude drawing:
  • Black - Some part
  • Blue - Bolt or nut
  • Green - Mysterious tool
  • Red - Standard wrench
  • Purple - Obstructing object
Does the mystery tool fit with the other wrench tool? It almost looks like it is the same size as the spark plug. Is one of the spark plugs abstructed by another component in the engine compartment?

Attachments

• extension.JPG
    extension.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 319

villi

B_Skurka said:
Lyndon, Villi thinks the odd tool with the double box end wrenches was made by a prior owner of a Snow Trac in Iceland. Villi also lives on a farm near the northern coast of Iceland and received the tool from the prior owner of the Snow Trac. Somewhere he wrote that he was not sure what the heck it was for!

Hi there Bob
You are wrong about the wrench , it is orginal Snow Trac tool but the "villi´s Snow Trac tool" is not orginal tool it is made by prior Snow Trac operator driver...:17875:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Got it done. Seeming as Bob has been pestering me with loads of PMs (well, 1) I finally welded it up, and headscratched about the locking chain. Finally came up with something that works. I can pick up the back of the tractor with it, and it holds, so I am hoping it is strong enough.

Ice Queen, its waiting for you here when you are able to make the trip down, thanks.

Attachments

• 06-07-06_1458.jpg
    06-07-06_1458.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 308

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow, it's brilliant, looking forward to seeing it for real. Won't be for a while as it is in the middle of the rally season. Got to go to the big military rally in Kent in about two to three weeks. Thank you very much for making it for me.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ice, thats fine. It wont be going anywhere, I'll probably give it some primer when I next have it out to stop the rust.
Thanks, enjoy the rallys.

Do you know when the Dorset Steam fair is on? I was thinking of going, enjoyed it last time.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Same time every year - starts the Wednesday after the last Bank Holiday in August, for five days. Don't know the actual dates yet, but I could look in my diary - Wednesday 30th July till the following Sunday, 3rd of September. I hope to get a pass this year as usual to the Commercial Heavy Haulage section. I have mechanical gentlemen coming up this weekend to fit the replacement transfer box on the Foden, so keep your fingers crossed that all will be well and then I may see you at Dorset.

Micke Valp

Hello Snow Trac friends. Mikael from Sweden here with a ST4 from 1981.

Old thread, I know. But I got curious about that "double box end 90 degree wrench, as Lyndon calls it.

I would guess it is part number ST 7790 in the parts manual and in the section about "Tools". The part is simply called a Variator Key, or Variatornyckel in swedish.

I can double check next time I speak with Christer Morlind. He would know for sure if it is to adjust the belt tension.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hello Snow Trac friends. Mikael from Sweden here with a ST4 from 1981.

Old thread, I know. But I got curious about that "double box end 90 degree wrench, as Lyndon calls it.

I would guess it is part number ST 7790 in the parts manual and in the section about "Tools". The part is simply called a Variator Key, or Variatornyckel in swedish.

I can double check next time I speak with Christer Morlind. He would know for sure if it is to adjust the belt tension.

ask christer if he has a source for the bronze sprockets.

Micke Valp

Chiming in.

Just got answer from Christer. The tool ST 7790 is indeed for adjustment of the variator. But as Christer says, He has never used one, but have severals. He got a bit curious to test if they are "smart" or/and better than ordinary tools, sockets (Maybe the adjustments gets a lot easier to do with this tool, he responds.)

Hi JimVT. Will do that. As "source", do you mean as spare parts, or someone who can manufacture sprockets? ( I don't know if Morlitech still has original sprockets for sale, thats why I ask.)

Oh, almost forgot – pictures ...
First is my Snow Trac from arrival at garage late of december 2014 (yellow one). Second is from first quarter of 2015, overhauled and painted and on a trip with his "twin" in northern Sweden. Last is the "twin" in action. I say "twin", because we built them like that, and they only about 100 numbers apart in their VIN-numbers. (Both are from 1981.)

Attachments

• Snow Trac 01.jpg
    Snow Trac 01.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Snow Trac 02.jpg
    Snow Trac 02.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Snow Trac 03.jpg
    Snow Trac 03.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 160

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
we have no place to buy the sprockets now. that is what I meant by a source.
mine are good but others need some.
jim
thanks

Micke Valp

Hi there. Sorry for the delay.

I got an answer from Christer. He thinks he has some bronze sprockets, called ST30A. If I understood correctly, these are for the two band Snow Trac. He called them the early type of sprockets. (Outside brake drum type of Snow Trac?) They are newly.
But no quote/price on them.

I did not get any other source for sprockets.