• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi Info site?

dave_dj1

Hi all, I'm new here, I stumbled across (owner believes it to be a '64) Bombardier. It's a barn find. I have no clue what model it is. Is there a good site to visit to get info on what model it may be? It has a Chrysler engine (she believes). The cab has seating for 3, driver in the middle down low and one on each side above.
Any help would be great,
thanks,
dave

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Post up some pics and folks here will tell you what you have. There also links to the factory museum etc. that may help.

dave_dj1

yeah, I didn't think to take any pics yesterday when I was there. It's only about 1/2 mile from my house so I may take a jaunt over today and see if she would mind if I take a couple of pics. It's under a roof and is among other tractors and wagons etc. I should still be able to get a couple of pics.
ttfn
dave

dave_dj1

Ok , here are a couple of pics, best I could do...LOL
DSCI0268.jpg

DSCI0267.jpg

DSCI0269.jpg

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It's a J5 with a full cab. Chrysler industrial 251.
Looks like very good shape ( minimal rust and dents)

dave_dj1

cool, I was afraid it might be a sw something or other! LOL
There is a paper sign in it that says it's a 59 Bombardier.
What kind of price tag would you put on it?
She says her husband went all through it a few years ago, he passed away about 3 years ago. She is open to offers.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
J5 and SWs are almost the same. An SW can be 60" wide or 68"besides the usual 48". An SW has 14" wide tracks and a J5 has 16" wide tracks. Track width is the best determiner but people put SW tracks on J5s all the time. Pictures can be tricky so check the machine width and track width.

They are both heavy for a snowcat; about 5000 pounds compared to a Bombi at 2500+ pounds. They don't go over snow all that well... they usually go thru it. They were both made to plow originally.

It's very hard to give you a price without seeing the track and grouser condition or knowing your location. Somewhere around $5000 +/- $1500 for an average retail sale.

Specifications can be found here.
http://www.safetyoneinc.com/specsheets/bombardier.html

dave_dj1

well as near as I can tell from that site it's a j5 (thanks for the link) with the optional 3 man cab. It has the flathead 6 and a 4 spd, with reverse.
Pixie, I'm not that far away from you, I grew up in Southern VT but live in NY now.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
What do you want to do with it ?

The 4 speed trans has a port for a PTO

dave_dj1

I want to make it my personal groomer. No mountain trails, fields and rolling hills.
Maybe haul some firewood out with it in the summer. I have a 8,500 lb Ramsey worm gear drive winch I can put on it. Maybe a blade in the front?
Mostly just a toy. :wink:

northeastheavy

Pixie,- I alway thought the J-5 and SW-48 were the same!! Just the Sw48 had the cab. You know your stuff!!!!
Real nice snowcat, especially with a plow!! You have a great barn find!!! One just sold on ebay, badly rusted and not running for $2,200 in Ma.!!! Yours looks real clean and well kept!!! I like that cover over hood grille vents!! It looks like its real clean and original. Again, pixie is on the right money.
You should have no problem in hilly fields, I used to go up in the hills alot with no problem in packed snow. Your only disadvantage will be narrow tracks in deep snow. Last winter in NY we had a lot of deep powder!! It was unusual!! You certainly will be having alot of fun this winter!!! Best of luck with it!!! How about some interior photos???

dieseldr

Hey northeastheavy-

this is off topic so I will keep it short. I am in southern western ny and we only had to plow snow once last winter. I'm glad somebody got some snow!