• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

53 tucker starter grinding

SBS

Hello all,

I have just started doing some work on a 53 Tucker for a guy and one of the issues is the starter grinding 3 out of 5 starts. I pulled the starter expecting to see the bendix or the fly wheel teeth half gone but its not the case. There is some obvious wear but no to the point of teeth missing. This has been converted to a 12 volt system and the starter and starter solenoid are still 6 volt.

Has any one else experienced this, any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.....

Mtn-Track

Provided the starter is the correct one with the right tooth-count and such, then I'd be looking at the the bendix and armature. If the bendix is weak then the starter will not fully engage the flywheel. If the starter is 6V and the battery is 12v then the armature may be burning out, thus it's not spinning fast enough or strong enough to fully engage the flywheel. Another one is that the 6v &12v set-up is allowing the starter to spool up faster than it can catch the flywheel or is shoving the bendix in too far against the flywheel. After that, it's making sure the bearings, flywheel, bellhousing, transmission, etc. are all actually correct and mounted right.

Pictures! We demand pictures of the cat!:w00t2:

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would love to have a you tub vid of the noise my guess is it isn't so much the fly wheel or bendix as the end berings that hold your rotating mass centered. look hard at front and rear bushings on thestarter it only takes about 15 thousands at each end to cause problems also if the noise is more of a growl your starter is likely throwing material off the armiture. in the first stages it will be intermittent than it will die shortly after