• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

LMC1500 "gearing"???

R

Reddog

Hello to all,
It was pointed out that my 1500 has "small" track drive sprockets.
http://photos.imageevent.com/reddog/1985lmc1500snowcat/websize/photo 1.JPG

My question is: If I were to go to the "big" drive sprockets (assuming that I have enough track to go around them), how much ground spped and or RPM reduction might I expect? The rig seems to have plenty of power and sifts thru the gears to third almost before you get untracked, so I don't think the higher "gearing" will result in a problem. It looks like unless I can find some good used sprockets or do some trading, I'm looking at several dollars to do the change...will it be worth it??
Opinions??
Thanks, Doug

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hello to all,
It was pointed out that my 1500 has "small" track drive sprockets.
http://photos.imageevent.com/reddog/1985lmc1500snowcat/websize/photo 1.JPG

My question is: If I were to go to the "big" drive sprockets (assuming that I have enough track to go around them), how much ground spped and or RPM reduction might I expect? The rig seems to have plenty of power and sifts thru the gears to third almost before you get untracked, so I don't think the higher "gearing" will result in a problem. It looks like unless I can find some good used sprockets or do some trading, I'm looking at several dollars to do the change...will it be worth it??
Opinions??
Thanks, Doug

Doug, did you decide to keep the machine?

R

Reddog

Boggie,
Thanks for the contact. It's like I tell the wife "Honey, I'm only going to keep it until I sell it".
It is for sale, as are most of the toys I have, but in the event I wind up keeping it, I wanted to explore this gearing issue, for my own info and for being able to answer questions about speed from prospective buyers.
Thanks again and have a great weekend, Doug

mkntrakes

The pitch is different and the bigger sprockets won,t work with the tracks you have.
your tracks have a 4inch pitch and wide tracks have a 4.75 inch pitch

R

Reddog

Mkntrakes,
Thanks for that info. Never thought about that, but It makes sense, just like different chains on motorcycles. I can't see any way it would make econimic sense to change out tracks and drive sprockets to gain a few MPH or drop a few RPM. I guess it's like I tell other folks, "If you're in a hurry and in a cat, you are in the wrong machine".
Best Wishes, Doug

tomelroy

I guess it's like I tell other folks, "If you're in a hurry and in a cat, you are in the wrong machine".
Best Wishes, Doug

I have a 1200c with a top speed of ~9 Mph and one ~17 MPH. Not sure what ring and pinion or drop box gears are in the slower one, but I know the faster of the two has a 1.83:1 drop box gear ratio and a 6.14:1 ring and pinion ratio.

I prefer faster!

R

Reddog

The terrain I am dealing with seems like it would tolerate the taller gearing. I would prefer lower RPM's and a little faster travel speed, but overall, what I have works well and I guess I should just turn up the tunes, sip some coffee and enjoy the view. Doug