• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What happens when Ruth Bader Ginsburg leaves the Supreme Court?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
September 16, 2018
What happens when Ruth Bader Ginsburg leaves the Supreme Court?
By Peter Skurkiss
A
https://www.americanthinker.com/blo..._bader_ginsburg_leaves_the_supreme_court.html

With the confirmation hearings for Brett Kavanaugh over, perhaps now is a good time to look at the recent history of appointments to the U.S. Supreme Court with an eye to the future.

Start with Neil Gorsuch, now an associate justice. Gorsuch was nominated by President Donald Trump to succeed Antonin Scalia, and he took the oath of office in April 2017. The Democrats kicked up a storm at Gorsuch's confirmation hearings, but it was relatively mild, given the highly polarized political environment of the time. He was confirmed 54-45.

The reason for this is that Gorsuch was replacing Scalia, a conservative giant on the Court. Yes, the Democrats were smarting from the masterful maneuvering by Mitch McConnell to prevent Barack Hussein Obama from appointing Scalia's successor, but they could remain semi-civil during the confirmation process because Gorsuch did not alter the Court's balance.

Next came the retirement of Anthony Kennedy, the infamous swing vote on the Court. For his replacement, President Trump selected an outstanding legal mind and judge: Brett Kavanaugh. The media have been filled with reports on the hysterics the left has been going through in an attempt to derail the Kavanaugh appointment, so there's no need to rehash that here.

The reason for the uproar over Kavanaugh is that he will somewhat shift the Court to the right – that is, to a more sane and originalist bent. With Kavanaugh on the Court, in critical cases, the votes will probably be a predictable 5-4. But if Kavanaugh were replacing, say, Clarence Thomas, the reaction to his nomination would not be as over-the-top and hateful as it is now. The Democrats would see it as a trade-off, one they could live with.

I think you can see where this is going. The trajectory of the opposition of President Trump's appointments to the Supreme Court, from Gorsuch to Kavanaugh, tells us what is most likely to happen when Ruth Bader Ginsburg goes. And she's likely to go sooner rather than later. Why? First off, she's 85 years old. Second, the woman is in poor health. See her in this recent YouTube clip. It is a crying shame that someone in this physical condition is allowed to maintain such an influential position on our lives. Here Ginsburg is mimicking the clinging leftist Thurgood Marshall, who spent his last days drooling from the bench.

Ginsburg has been a leftist delight on the Court. Her replacement by a Republican president will set the Democrats, the media, and the left aflame. The swamp creatures that crawled out of the muck to oppose Kavanaugh will seem cuddly and tame compare to what Ginsburg's replacement will face. It would not be surprising if the left resorted to systematic violence. The hysteria of the entire coalition of the left – Democrats, media, the swamp – will be off the charts.

In a way, the Kavanaugh hearings are a good warm-up for the Republicans. They will know what to expect, times ten.

Here's the question: will the Republicans have the backbone to appoint an originalist to replace Ginsburg or not? I feel confident that Trump would, but I worry about the squishes in the Senate. They might look for a compromise candidate to placate the Democrats. They'd want input from the likes of Chuck Schumer. The best insurance against this type of backsliding would be for the GOP to increase its Senate majority in November to give the president more of a margin against RINO backsliding.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
In a way, the Kavanaugh hearings are a good warm-up for the Republicans. They will know what to expect, times ten.

I can only imagine . . . :hammer:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
On that day I shall jump for joy and rejoice to the Lord above that happy days are indeed here again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75V3H-FXf78"]1961 HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN Mitch Miller & His Gang HD LYRICS - YouTube[/ame]

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I have to agree.

I saw a news clip just the other day and Ginsberg couldn't even SIT up straight.

Her days are numbered.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think that Ruth Bader Ginsberg was being very selfish when she decided to "hang on" and wait to retire so she could be replaced by President Hillary Clinton. I'm sure that was her plan. Didn't quite work out for her.

Ginsberg was appointed by President Bill Clinton. I believe she wanted to be replaced by President Hillary Clinton. I believe she wanted to be the first justice to be appointed & replaced by a husband & wife.

So now she has to hope that she will live long enough to outlast President Trump and HOPE that a Democrat comes into office so she can be replaced by someone else who is "like minded" (read that as ultra-liberal of revisionist leanings).

I wish her no ill health or ill will but given the 2 nominations to the court that President Trump has been able to advance I certainly hope that President Trump gets to replace Ginsberg too.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Some are of the belief that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg has been technically dead for several years. However, no one has had the courage to tell her.