• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

No power in one room

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For no reason I can think of I have no power in the master bedroom. So I flip the breaker to no avail. Rest of house is fine.

Before the power when off I adjusted the ceiling fan down one speed and clicked the remote for the TV and DVR boxes to come on. Then the power went off. So I've unplugged the power strip from the wall that is for the TV and DVR, and I turned off the master wall switch for the ceiling fan & light. Flip the breaker and get nothing. I thought maybe one of those two had shorted out and was causing the blip.

Breaker does not appear to be tripped. Do breakers simply go bad out of the blue? Our house was built in 98, so we are coming up on 20 years old. I've never had this happen before and looking for the best way to trouble shoot the issue.

I considered shutting off all power to house and swapping out one breaker for another 20 amp to see if that was the issue but figured I'd ask here first. I have added a whole house generator so hoping if I shut off power to the house that the generator would not automatically kick on. Never tried shutting off since it was installed a couple years ago.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Pull the breaker toggle all the way off, and then all the way on. Must go all the way off to reset.

Next step, pull the cover, and check for voltage between the load side of he breaker in question and the neutral strip (where all the white or bare wires go) with a VOM or wiggy.

Don't worry about turning the main off. Just do not touch anything inside, and you will be a-ok. Wear some dry shoes and stand on cardboard. Some light gloves as well. Check your life insurance policy.

Or, have some fun. Have your wife by to observe, and stick the meter connections in, and start shaking like a leaf. Will be great.

As you unscrew the cover, use your other hand and gently apply force to keep the cover on in position. Then put down the screwdriver and screws, and with both hands, pull the cover straight off. Do the opposite going back on.

Then if that checks out ok, turn that breaker off, go to the bedroom, and pull the closest device cover (switch or duplex) to the main panel off - that's probably the shortest run for wire and where it first enters the room. Tighten every connection. Then do the same at every device. Look for burn marks or loose connections. If any of the wires in the boxes are connected with wire nuts, tighten every one,a dn tug on the wires to make sure the wire nut has grabbed them all.

Tell us what you find.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've had something similar happen before. Turned out to be the wires going in to the breaker were loose

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, it could be a loose connection at the breaker or at any one the outlets or switches. I would pull out the first outlet and check for a loose connection, then go to the next. If the wires are "quick wired" into the back of the outlet you might find the problem there.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, it could be a loose connection at the breaker or at any one the outlets or switches. I would pull out the first outlet and check for a loose connection, then go to the next. If the wires are "quick wired" into the back of the outlet you might find the problem there.
Yes, a good many "quick Wires" melt when overloaded. Using a space heater would do it
Quickwire is a receptacle that has the wires stuck into holes in the back, This makes a very small connection for power. Long term use and the heat at that small contact point melts the copper.
I never wire that method. Always loop the screws on the side.
Black to Brass white to silver, ground to green.

It most often happens with the first duplex in the chain,* but it could be any one of them. Also, if any circuits are in the attic you may have a fried mouse or squirrel up there. Or, just a loose connection in a junction box.

*Having said all that, look for simple. Before you tear into things be sure the circuit doesn't have a GFI that is tripped. I install these in the first duplex on virtually every circuit in my construction. A small yellow light on a receptacle will indicate a momentary ground contact. Press the reset.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks all. Finally got around to checking this. Wife is tired of extensiuon cord from other room ran to the bedroom. :yum:
At breaker box all seems ok. Tested power from set screw on breaker to ground strip in the box and all is a-ok.

Checked first and 2nd receptacle and both are tight under screws, not quick wired thank goodness. Checked wire nuts and all were tight.

How can I tell if the breaker is bad? Close to the first receptacle I have a light switch connected to a ceiling fan / light ....I suppose the problem could be at either of those also?

I'm hoping the breaker is bad since it does not reset but when on I have no power in the bedroom. If I have to keep checking outlets next it's taking down the king size monster bed to get to the outlet way behind it....then I'd have to move a huge dresser. Hoping not to have to go there.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Disconnect the wire at the breaker. Then trip the breaker.
If it resets with no load, change the breaker.
If it does not, then I'd guess you have a short somewhere.
Hang any pictures lately?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks all. Finally got around to checking this. Wife is tired of extensiuon cord from other room ran to the bedroom. :yum:
At breaker box all seems ok. Tested power from set screw on breaker to ground strip in the box and all is a-ok.

Checked first and 2nd receptacle and both are tight under screws, not quick wired thank goodness. Checked wire nuts and all were tight.

How can I tell if the breaker is bad? Close to the first receptacle I have a light switch connected to a ceiling fan / light ....I suppose the problem could be at either of those also?

I'm hoping the breaker is bad since it does not reset but when on I have no power in the bedroom. If I have to keep checking outlets next it's taking down the king size monster bed to get to the outlet way behind it....then I'd have to move a huge dresser. Hoping not to have to go there.

Sounds more and more like a faulty or burnt breaker. If you can test power then disconnect the black wire from the circuit at the breaker. then try turning it on. from the brass screw(where the black wire was connected test to neutral. Then test to ground from the brass terminal You should read 110 volts AC.

If you don't et voltage change out the breaker. Eazy Peezy.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Hard as hell to trouble shoot this without at least a set of voltage testers. That way right off the bat you can determine if you have power on the load side of that single pole breaker.

Go to your local electrical supply house and get one of these. They are about 20 bucks. Every home owner should have one. Just touch the tip and a wire or screw and it will beep if there is power.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-...TF8&qid=1483992140&sr=8-1&keywords=tic+tester

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-01-09 15.02.47.png
    Screenshot 2017-01-09 15.02.47.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 57

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

The simplest way to check the breaker is to pull two and switch them.

When I have a problem like this I start at the outlet furthest away and work backward toward the source rather than start at the box and work the other way.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Hard as hell to trouble shoot this without at least a set of voltage testers. That way right off the bat you can determine if you have power on the load side of that single pole breaker.

Go to your local electrical supply house and get one of these. They are about 20 bucks. Every home owner should have one. Just touch the tip and a wire or screw and it will beep if there is power.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-...TF8&qid=1483992140&sr=8-1&keywords=tic+tester

I prefer a Wiggy. It tells you the voltage. Also useful to check continuity. No settings just probe and read.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
A wiggy is a nice device since it has a solenoid in it that vibrates when voltage is present, so you do not necessarily need to look at it. Especially usefully when ringing out a live 480vac circuit and you want to keep your eyes on your hands.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A non-contact voltage tester is useful, but not inside a panel. They will sense voltage 2-3" away so it's hard to tell if you picking up the beep from the suspect breaker or the one next to it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Disconnect the wire at the breaker. Then trip the breaker.
If it resets with no load, change the breaker.
If it does not, then I'd guess you have a short somewhere.
Hang any pictures lately?
No, we didn't hang any pictures anywhere close to that room lately.

But I was trying to say the breaker does not 'break' with this problem. I can turn it off, and back on easy enough but it never resets to off on it's own.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A non-contact voltage tester is useful, but not inside a panel. They will sense voltage 2-3" away so it's hard to tell if you picking up the beep from the suspect breaker or the one next to it.
I don't have one of those but it would be handy to pick up. I have a little tester with a light that is close to my hand so very easy to watch hands and see the light.

But since the breaker is not breaking if a short were at the end of the chain and the light switch is off I should see power in the closest outlet when I have the breaker set to on, shouldn't I? I am keeping it shut off unless I am testing.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
No, we didn't hang any pictures anywhere close to that room lately.

But I was trying to say the breaker does not 'break' with this problem. I can turn it off, and back on easy enough but it never resets to off on it's own.
So you're saying the breaker does not trip off (short circuit) when you turn it back on?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you're saying the breaker does not trip off (short circuit) when you turn it back on?
Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. lol it didn't trip when power went out and does not trip when I turn it off and then back on.
I'll try swapping breakers tomorrow to see if it's a bad breaker. Hoping that is it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
call an electrician......:whistling:
I tried that also ....tried 2 local ones. Neither even bothered to call back.

Switched the breaker with another 20amp one. Both breakers work dang it. So much for an easy solution. Neither breaker trips when power is turned on to the no power room. But ... the end of the wire in the breaker that was going to the bedroom was dark, not near as shinny as the wire from the breaker I switched it with.

Calling an electrician. Not comfortable with whatever the hell is going on. Any of you guys make house calls?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No, I checked them with a little tester cord with light that I have. I own a Radio Shack fluke like meter ..but it's hiding from me. I did not buy a wiggy either ....but the repairman I called brought one. I would not have understood that ground lights up when no power on other side. I guess that is what you call a wiggy, it looked like what I thought you guys explained. But it confused me.

Like you guys suggested, it was a ground short. It was in the circuit box. The ground had come enough loose to scorch. He fixed that and tightened all set screws and breaker screws explaining as they go on and off they get hot, expand and contract and over time can come loose. One circuit in particular was way loose. We must not use that circuit much.

Wife is happy. Extension cord to bedroom is now put away. It's the little things, like power, that makes em happy. Go figure. LOL

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Electricity in America vibrates at 60 cycles s minute. That's the hum you hear near power lines.
Once every few years I shut down the mains and tighten all terminated screws in the main panel. Ususl find some loose.
You are torqueing down on copper, a soft extrudable metal.