• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tesla introduces an AFFORDABLE electric car

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While I think that some form of electric drive car is the future of automobiles, I've always been pretty critical of Tesla, mostly because of the cost and the range limits. I'm really impressed with their cars, they are fast as hell and luxurious and certainly covet worthy, but I like road trips and Tesla vehicles can't be taken on long road trips.

They still can't. The new model, however, breaks the cost barrier and is base priced at $35,000 :smile:

It also has a 200 mile range, which, when combined with the price, makes it a great city/suburban car.

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/443508465227272192
"I think we're going to try to do something more radical," says Elon Musk, creator of Tesla Motors, whose charging stations will power your Tesla for free, forever. This one, the Model III could be available in 2016, but more likely the middle or end of 2017. It's 20% lighter than the Model S and much cheaper.

The $35,000 price tag slashes the $60,000+ price of the Model S.

It will charge in just over 25 minutes and run 200 miles; Tesla's goal to build a cheap electric car is coming true at an accelerated pace

Tesla is attempting to focus attention on the Model S and the new Model X (Tesla's version of a minivan), because those are the ones you can buy now, but the Model III will be an undisputable game changer.
There is video at the link above too.​

Attachments

• undefined.jpg
    undefined.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Tesla-Model-3.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 100

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I think makers of Electric cars would do better if they were open about the cost of replacement batteries/power cells, i have no idea on the cost of them and am guessing they are bloody expensive.

Tesla seem to look like they have created something appealing though.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
While I agree with everything in the OP, I have to say that styling wise that car basically looks no different then the Accord, Camry, Sonata, Malibu group of cars. Other then the badging of course. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but it would be nice for that Tesla to stand out from the crowd a little more.

Elon Musk is an innovator and an asset to this country. His space innovations are in many ways ahead of NASA. More proof private enterprise can do it much better then the Gummint.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think makers of Electric cars would do better if they were open about the cost of replacement batteries/power cells, i have no idea on the cost of them and am guessing they are bloody expensive.

Tesla seem to look like they have created something appealing though.

Not sure if Tesla will do a battery swap with this model because the charge time is claimed to be only 25 minutes, but in some of the major cities if you don't have time to charge your battery you can go to special Tesla locations and they drop your battery pack and replace it. Apparently it doesn't take very long to do so. That said, I think the battery packs last a long time.

This was the same question that people asked about the Toyota Prius and it seems like the real world experience is that the battery packs last as long as the vehicle holds up.