• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

diesel problems in my pb

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My canyon is the only model with a vw diesel. It looks like a jetta 1.9 but says industrial. 1.9 tdi
It sends out a puff of black smoke at random. Dealer put new injectors in and it is doing it again. They said one injector was hanging up. I been mixing a fuel lubricants in with each tank like i do with my other diesels.
I haven't run my codes yet.
Any suggestions on what to try next? I'm on my 2nd tank of fuel .the first one sat all summer.
I use hiway diesel in it.
Jim

dep6113

as the fuels have changed over the last 10 years so has the growth of microbes, here is part of an article that helps explain it---used to be able to rely on off road diesel but that is even going low sulfer now.

Lubricity (how well the fuel lubricates injectors and fuel pumps) was a worry back in 2007. But now they’re adding things at the refinery level that give the ULSD fuel the right amount of lubrication, so that’s not a big worry for diesel users. What they do have to worry about is the greater chance of microbes in the fuel tank. Sulfur was always a natural inhibitor of microbial growth, and the old high-sulfur and low-sulfur diesel fuels contained enough sulfur all you had to do to prevent microbes was keep water accumulation under control. The new ULSD fuels have changed all that, and diesel users with stored ULSD fuels are going to have to be a lot more vigilant in making sure they don’t let microbial growth in their fuel tanks get out of control.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
One other thing I have been noticing in the gensets I service. The bulk fuel we get can now have up to 20% biodiesel. One thing I found is after we started seeing higher (>5%) my filters were plugging earlier than they should. The biodiesel has what amounts to soap in it and it will start to loosen, dissolve old diesel sediment and tar in the tank. So a load of higher % bio sitting in the hot summer, may have cleaned your tank. I'm told that the increased filter plugging should diminish as the gunk is cleaned from the tank.

The other thing we have found: In standby units we used to just top off the tank each year. Well, it appears that biodiesel has a shelf life. somewhere between 18-24 months the heat quality starts to drop off. Gensets were not passing the load tests. Replacing the fuel with fresh and they passed no problem. If you are turning the tanks it won't be an issue, but for those of us with long term storage it can be. Bio is supposed to help replace the lubrication properties we lost when they removed the brimstone. That's great but it has it's own issues.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks
I'll put a new fuel filter in it and i may switch back to old school and add ATF to every fillup.
Jim

Red130

Is the frequency of the puff independent of RPM? I would be looking on the fuel side too, but if it gets a little worse under load/higher RPM, is there any chance of a hidden mouse nest or some other partial obstruction somewhere in the air intake?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the frequency of the puff independent of RPM? I would be looking on the fuel side too, but if it gets a little worse under load/higher RPM, is there any chance of a hidden mouse nest or some other partial obstruction somewhere in the air intake?
I have noticed it at pickup and cruising speed 2600rpm . None at idle. I have 803hrs. Intake has never been worked on.

our clubs pb had an air leak on fuel suction line---something to look into-----would not leak even when parked but would suck air from time to time---if you have a turbo It might even have an internal seal going -----I guess you need to figure out if its fuel smoke /oil smoke or anti freeze smoke-----do u ever have to add anti-freeze

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never need to add engine oil or coolant between oil changes every summer. Engine just doesn't leak and clean looking. vacuum lines were checked and poor lines were replaced.
DSC00648.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I run about 25 miles yesterday after replacing the fuel filter. I noticed i had 2014 on the filter. It made a huge difference in power. I'm going to make it a yearly thing now regardless of my usage. The puffs i'm not sure about .i had several people around and didn't get the time to watch my rearview mirror.
Thanks !!

Red130

That's good news. And it is inexpensive! Do you have your own bulk storage for diesel or where/how do you get your fuel?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just have it in a can or pick it up on the way. In the can i don't keep it long,maybe a month or two.
I think i'll start using the better diesel.i didn't know they had different grades .
A cenex dealer isn't far from home.
Jim

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
As long as you are short cycling it, it really shouldn't matter so long as it is from a reputable dealer. I would try to find somewhere that has lower/ no bio content for the last tank before Spring storage.

dep6113

The small station in carbonado has non ethanol premium as well as on and off road diesel. she sells to the loggers and of road folks. i get the premium for my bikes, sleds and chain saw.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
on road - off road Diesel no longer has the meaning it once had. Now it only refers to the tax structure. Even though the pump may say "high sulfur" is isn't. Checked three wholesalers here and all concurred. The issue is the newer tractors to meet the tier regulations can't have high sulfur. What varies is the amount (if any) of bio-diesel.

Some places have "stove oil" that still has higher sulfur and no bio, but they are getting fewer it seems.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cenex "ruby diesel" is all I buy, and I use nearly 10K gallons of it a year.

I had an Perkins diesel engine sit indoors for 14 years and it started and ran just fine, with the ruby fuel. It is dyed and considered off road.

Cidertom is correct, at this point in time there is no such thing as high sulfur any more. It is all low sulfur now.

Buy the best fuel you can get your hands on from a reputable dealer. Change fuel filters yearly.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
because of the refinery's all converting to ulsd production your heating oil is also a ulsd product and usually with out the lubricity required for diesel engines. some jet a is still a low sulfur product but the faa has approved a ulsd product so look for ultra low sulfur to be showing up at airports to. looking at your engine pic you have a vp44 style pump injectors should be painless. did you pour the fuel out of your filter and check for water. It doesn't take much water to score up bosch injectors. The vp 44 pump is real expensive and has real close tolarances so close it takes special equipment to rebuild them you could have early sighns of a vp44 going bad. I would more likely bet on a bad fuel injector.

I run power service all the time in all my equipment----in the summer when iam not running cooking oil in my equipment I use diesel from local gas station----its always fresh---and in the winter I run 50/50 diesel and kero with power service everything starts and runs fine with no jelling--my pb is on the 50/50 mix---and yes I run cooking oil and not the bio crap they make from cooking oil-----I even use power service in my gas engines but don't use a lot---took my twin track raider out to the bar one night and it had a little to much power service to drink and it would not shut off we even got a stick and popped the plug wires off and it kept running---I use the gray bottle power service----been doing it for years with no failure ---another true story---before using power service in everything my wheeler quit one night with water in the carb---a friend asked me if I fill up at a pump or use a plastic can/ I use a can----condensation got me---we all have plastic can now days----buy some power service