• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Our "new" 140 year old windows just arrived

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our "new" windows arrived. They are approximately 140 years old. We bought them in a junk shop over 20 years ago and never did anything with them. After a full year in a stained glass shop doing repairs, we finally got them back.

There are 3 of them stacked against that wall. They will be installed, side-by-side-by-side in our dining room. Originally made in roughly 1875 they are a bit old for our house, which was designed in 1912. Still, I think they will be a good addition, once I figure out how to install them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 55

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just playing around and dry fitting them. Yup, this is going to work. Can't tell from the photo, but the middle one is slightly larger (about 1/8th of an inch taller) than the 2 on the sides so it only fits in the middle frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 48

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Are those windows or just stain glass panels? When we built out new church 10 years ago, we had stained glass inserts made to go over the energy efficient windows. Ours are held in place with clips screwed into the jambs.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are those windows or just stain glass panels? When we built out new church 10 years ago, we had stained glass inserts made to go over the energy efficient windows. Ours are held in place with clips screwed into the jambs.

They are stain glass windows, but I will be installing them as inserts in front of energy efficient thermalpane windows. Most modern installs of stained glass are done in front of, or sometimes sandwiched in between layers of glass.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, wow, wow, those are over the top nice!

Don't recall the original price we paid, but it was probably only a couple hundred dollars. Cost quite a bit to restore them.

We have a small set that are about 2'x2' and were offered $1500 for that pair. I think we paid $75 for those! Apparently the colored glass in that pair is very rare. Sadly no place to put them in our house.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the windows are caulked into place but still don't have the final trim pieces surrounding them to finish the job. Turning out to be a lot harder than I thought. They are secure and will hold until I can get this figured out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 19