• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gasoline Storage Tank

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It appears I will need one for the upcoming boating season. The handy convenience store by the boat ramp has closed and shows no signs of reopening.

I know some of you have gasoline storage tanks so I'm asking for advice on where to get a good one and how to set it up. I've looked at tractor supply and while they sell fuel storage tanks they are for non flammable heating oils, not for gasoline. So, I'm afraid gasoline ones might be real expensive.

Any pointers appreciated.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
for the larger tank it may be easier to buy through the delivery company

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was only thinking 100 to 200 gallons. Is that considered larger?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
My father had one of those 50 gallon tanks on rollers he rolled out on dock when needed. Worked well for him

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks MB. I had seen those but wanted bigger. Well, I wanted bigger until I talked with a dealer this afternoon who quoted me new tanks for 2000 to 3000. Whoa. I told him I'd go used before I'd pay that. Then I went by the convenience store tonight on the way home and on the sign it said they are taking applications ...so maybe they will reopen for boating season. I hope.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc - Can you elaborate on your needs?

Are you looking for a tank you would take to the filling station yourself or something where they bring the fuel to you?

How much does it take to fill your boat? Do I assume you need to get the fuel to the dock, Doc? (Always wanted to do that repetition... :) )

If you need to get it to the dock, what equipment is available to haul it? RTV and tractor or just RTV or can you get your truck down there as well.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just me, but I would be tempted to go to a farm sale that has an older 300 gal tank on a stand high enough to be gravity feed to a tractor..

No pump to buy and mantain, and very cheap to buy (scarp price) then put a fresh coat of white paint on it.

But heck what would I know about the situation Doc has. I just think in terms of cheap storage.:wink:

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just me, but I would be tempted to go to a farm sale that has an older 300 gal tank on a stand high enough to be gravity feed to a tractor..

No pump to buy and mantain, and very cheap to buy (scarp price) then put a fresh coat of white paint on it.

But heck what would I know about the situation Doc has. I just think in terms of cheap storage.:wink:

Regards, Kirk
I talked to the distributor about gravity fed setups. He said the same as you, about the cheapest way possible to get into gas storage. :thumb: Thanks Kirk!!!!

Nothing that elaborate BC. I'd like to have the fuel delivered and have a 200 or 300 gravity fed set up. I would only be gassing the boats up prior to putting in the water. Mine has a 90 gallon tank, SIL has a 44 gallong tank, Son has a 50 gallon tank. Course none of the tanks are ever empty. I normally take 60 gallons on a fill up. The 44 gallon normally takes 25 to 30 gallons. So 200 gallons would due me but 300 might be better. Afraid all this might be cost prohibitive unless I find a great deal. And as I said in a previous post, the store by the ramp that sells gas put a sign up today: now taking applications, so I have hopes the store will reopen. If so I doubt I go to the expense of all this.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you buy in bulk with a 250 gal minimum, you can get it delivered for about the same price you would pay at the pump.

Gravity feeding a 250-500 gallon tank may be a bit tough. I'd recommend a pump but will let you know a decent one starts at about $400. (The one I got is a Fill-Rite 1211C Transfer Pump)

Gravity feed means it has to be up high. Not good to have it exposed to sunlight so then you need it upstairs but filling and weight become an issue.

Tanks aren't hard to find. Haven't checked lately but remember seeing them on Craigslist or in whatever farming magazines you have for your area.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
One thing to think about.......it will become a .....magnet to folks looking for FREE fuel..........:sad:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
It appears I will need one for the upcoming boating season. The handy convenience store by the boat ramp has closed and shows no signs of reopening.

I know some of you have gasoline storage tanks so I'm asking for advice on where to get a good one and how to set it up. I've looked at tractor supply and while they sell fuel storage tanks they are for non flammable heating oils, not for gasoline. So, I'm afraid gasoline ones might be real expensive.

Any pointers appreciated.

On the Nautical Mile where I live here in Mich. the gas docks are not allowed to open up until a certain date, I think it's April 17th, and then they must close an hour before dusk. Check your local DNR and see what hours they can operate at.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gravity feed means it has to be up high. Not good to have it exposed to sunlight so then you need it upstairs but filling and weight become an issue..

Steel tank, no sunlight on the fuel. Good material for any gasoline, as I believe it will keep fuel longer than plastic say...

Yes there is some weight to 300 gallons of fuel. The stands these tanks have been on for 50 years have been holding up just fine.:whistling: It might be wise however to place them on something to distribute their weight on the legs. Concrete comes to mind, but RR ties might work as well...

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Steel tank, no sunlight on the fuel. Good material for any gasoline, as I believe it will keep fuel longer than plastic say...
Agreed. I have a 550-gallon steel tank. Using a 12V pump to fill the equipment/vehicles.

I also use pure gas (no ethanol). I'm sick of fuel lines and carbs getting messed up by ethanol so this tank is mainly for the work-from-home engines (tractors, ZTR, ATV's, 2-cycle engines...).

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Accidental release of any amount of fuel into or near a body of water is a serious issue. Secondary containment all the way to the nozzle may be required, with an alarm if any fuel is released accidentally. Clean-up of a release of fuel can be costly. Gravity feed is the most likely method of accidental release of fuel due to, well, gravity. Where I come from overhead gravity tanks are not allowed. Good luck.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Accidental release of any amount of fuel into or near a body of water is a serious issue. Secondary containment all the way to the nozzle may be required, with an alarm if any fuel is released accidentally. Clean-up of a release of fuel can be costly. Gravity feed is the most likely method of accidental release of fuel due to, well, gravity. Where I come from overhead gravity tanks are not allowed. Good luck.
Hmmm good points. I never considered that. I am not positive that they are allowed where I am but the distributor did not mention them being banned when i talked to him yesterday. I will not be close to the water. I have a boat club up river that supplies fuel and a regular pump with underground huge tank. I'm covered that way.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed. I have a 550-gallon steel tank. Using a 12V pump to fill the equipment/vehicles.

I also use pure gas (no ethanol). I'm sick of fuel lines and carbs getting messed up by ethanol so this tank is mainly for the work-from-home engines (tractors, ZTR, ATV's, 2-cycle engines...).
Me to. Easy to qualify for no ethanol in marine applications. The distributor said it is a little more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Yes there is some weight to 300 gallons of fuel. The stands these tanks have been on for 50 years have been holding up just fine.:whistling: It might be wise however to place them on something to distribute their weight on the legs. Concrete comes to mind, but RR ties might work as well...

Regards, Kirk

I know sunlight on the tank causes condensation but how do you keep it out of the sun? Put it in your barn or what?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
And you need consider friction and static charge. You need a cable attached at both ends with alligator clips. Always attach cables first!

Doc
I strongly suggest you find an alternate source of fuel. Insurance will not cover an illegal installation.

Kane

Local regulations can indeed complicate matters, especially if secondary containment is required. Could damn near double the cost of the tank.

Let's hope the convenience store reopens. Or, hell, take over the store and open it yourself. A convenience store has got to be profitable if it's kept within the family labor pool.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Local regulations can indeed complicate matters, especially if secondary containment is required. Could damn near double the cost of the tank.

Let's hope the convenience store reopens. Or, hell, take over the store and open it yourself. A convenience store has got to be profitable if it's kept within the family labor pool.
Just what Doc needs...another job in lieu of enjoying his boating hobby.:yum::yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Or, hell, take over the store and open it yourself. A convenience store has got to be profitable if it's kept within the family labor pool.

Lots of behind the scenes stuff with this store. It was family owned, they had it made with a post office inside. they cheated mailing out some of the dumb store flyers without paying. Post office and federal salaries were stopped. They ran the store for a little bit but was not making the money the did before their screw up, so they leased it out. The guys that leased it did okay for the past 2 or 3 years then all the sudden they closed in January. Rumor is store rent was going up and the winter season is when business is worst ...plus they refused to pay the higher price so they vamoosed. So now if it opens it will be the original owner ....I've no desire to run a retail establishment. I'm more geared to an online offering where I can check in and then check out and it keeps running (most of the time). Plus no stealing by employees etc etc. Retail is NOT for this guy. Besides, no family labor pool for me. My family all moved away except for my wife and she keeps talking about retirement not running a convenience store. :yum: :crazy:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Paint it BLACK.........and the sun wont be able to find it!!.........No body seems to be able to see what O-slimmy is doing!.....:whistling:

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And you need consider friction and static charge. You need a cable attached at both ends with alligator clips. Always attach cables first!

We can always learn something new. Always connect your bonding cable to the source of static electricity FIRST, then go back and connect the second lead to the ground/earth. That way If you have a charge built up, the spark will be away from the fuel vapor, not close to it.

I was in hazmat response for many years. One of our jobs was to assist in offloading fuel from overturned tankers. We would drive a copper grounding rod into the ground, check it to insure ground was made, then bond and ground the tanker before any fuel was transferred.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Connect a wire between feed tank and fueled vehicle before doing anything. Forget the earth ground.
The boat is grounded almost better than any ground rod.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I talked to the distributor about gravity fed setups. He said the same as you, about the cheapest way possible to get into gas storage. :thumb: Thanks Kirk!!!!

Nothing that elaborate BC. I'd like to have the fuel delivered and have a 200 or 300 gravity fed set up. I would only be gassing the boats up prior to putting in the water. Mine has a 90 gallon tank, SIL has a 44 gallong tank, Son has a 50 gallon tank. Course none of the tanks are ever empty. I normally take 60 gallons on a fill up. The 44 gallon normally takes 25 to 30 gallons. So 200 gallons would due me but 300 might be better. Afraid all this might be cost prohibitive unless I find a great deal. And as I said in a previous post, the store by the ramp that sells gas put a sign up today: now taking applications, so I have hopes the store will reopen. If so I doubt I go to the expense of all this.

Doc on his way to the boat ramp with his new gas storage tanks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFphkoiq3g

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The store is taking applications thurs fri and Saturday. It appears they will reopen, so I should not have to deal with this. Still, great to know all the possibilities and things I need to consider. Thanks All!!!!!!!!!