• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Couple of J5 mods

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Still working on my J5. Not much is original on this machine.

The seat mount had been changed and that was broken so I dreamed up this reinforcement bar.

It had no floorboards . I made tabs to hold the base of the floorboards and little arms to hold the top.

Attachments

• jmJ5frontandstandoffsOP.jpg
    jmJ5frontandstandoffsOP.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 386
  • jmJ5crossbarOP.jpg
    jmJ5crossbarOP.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 388

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Here's a pic of the floorboards and tabs.

Attachments

• jmJ5footbrdtabsOP.jpg
    jmJ5footbrdtabsOP.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 394

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Joan, do you have any "planned" upgrades for this unit, or as you put it back into working order are you upgrading things as you go along? I guess I'm wondering if there is some sort of master plan you are following or if its a seat of the pants type of rebuild?

I presume this will be used for pulling logs out of your woods, so that is why I wondered if you had thought of some specific modifications/upgrades to help make it more suitable for the tasks it will be expected to help accomplish.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hiya Pixie !:tiphat:

Is this J5 a one passenger rig or can more be carried ? It looks to me like something that was pretty much used for the logging industry . It looks like something that would come in handy on my place . The old ranch still has lots of timber to take out and only a crawler type tractor is going to get to it .
Keep up the good work

J5 Bombardier

Your J5 is coming along great Pixie. Here are a couple of pix's of my Muskeg rebuild (tear down)to cheer you up! YOU ARE NOT ALONE !
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

Attachments

• DSCN1326.jpg
    DSCN1326.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCN1775_2.jpg
    DSCN1775_2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 372

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the encouragement , guys !!

My plan is to get it working using what it has and then make a plan :) I still need to make plow mounts, a seat and get the new tracks on. Other than that, it's just paint from here :coolshade

It seats one but I'm going to put a second seat on the side deck. Besides being a seat, it will make it less painfull to slide across into the operator's seat.

J5Bombardier; you got that Muskeg tore down to the core !!!! Hope your axles are good and the diff ! It does make me feel better knowing that you've had a couple machines torn apart. Wish my J5 was going to be as nice as yours....maybe someday. Good luck with the Muskeg.

J5 Bombardier

Thanks Pixie
Fortunately the diff is in good shape, but the hull has had a tough life as a drill platform. I have new decking 3/16 '' to install on the hull and some very large drain holes in the hull to patch. I have a ISUZU diesel 6 cyl motor to squeeze into that 24'' hull.
Your seat idea is the way to go, you can carry a couple of passengers and I find it is easier on the knees climbing in and out.
J5 Bombardier:flagcan:

Attachments

• DSCN0718.jpg
    DSCN0718.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 359

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
J5 Bombardier- Your J5 is a Tropical ! What is the roller on the roof used for ?
One of the things I'd like to do is make a couple side baskets like yours. I have the expanded metal because I want to make a guard for the winch drive chain. ( It has both hydraulics and a PTO )

Only one side of my cockpit is accessable because of levers of one sort or another so only one extra seat.

Here's the grab handle I made.

Attachments

• jmJ5handleOP.jpg
    jmJ5handleOP.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 330

J5 Bombardier

Hi Pixie
I got off the trail with a large trailer load of wood one winter, had to winch forward with the cable over the roof. So I added rollers up top after that episode, it's a lot easier on the paint.
One of the downfalls of the J5 and SW48 series was the rad mounted over the engine requiring the side covers to be on for proper cooling (barely). The M 37 dodge army truck radiator will fit the hull of a J5 turning it into a Tropical and I've never had a overheating problem since.
J5 Bombardier