• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

An Old DOS Game

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have an old DOS game that I use to enjoy a lot. It was shareware at the time and still is. I installed the game on my laptop XP Pro and it loads but as soon as I touch the right mouse button the game locks up. This game before when I used it; it worked great on a W95 machine. Does anyone know of any tricks you have to do on Windows XP to make this DOS game work?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's probably trying to load a mouse driver of some form. I'm not sure what you can do as far as old autoexec.bat/config.sys type drivers under XP. You might

IMO, too much hassle for too little return on investment. ;)

However, you could start here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314106

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you tried looking around to see if there is a win version of the game or a win game that is similar?

Jim

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You should also just try googling the name of the game and "Windows XP" - make sure you wrap "Windows XP" in double quotes.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I did the search and can only find newer versions of the game. If I remember right the newer versions (not free) I did not like as well as the shareware version.

Maybe I should just take the old computer I have downstairs and load DOS on it and use it that way.

murph

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Maybe I should just take the old computer I have downstairs and load DOS on it and use it that way.

murph
I wonder if you could boot the old pc off a DOS diskette then run the game from a different diskette. Or even install the game on a boot diskette. If I were doing this I think I would unplug the HD to protect it, first.

I used to do stuff like this - boot from diskette, put most of DOS, a program, and I think the swapfile on a ramdisk, then run diskless. Maybe that's a lost art. I sure don't remember how to do it now.

richfolkes

I think there is a guy who may be able to help here. His name is Jonathan Fowler and his AIM screen name is JonoFAIM. You can also get him on his ICQ number which is 17263235.

He was nice enough to provide me with Duke Nukem 3D executables ported to run on Windows Xp.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's the game Murph? Leisure Suit Larry? :D

I 2nd CA's thought. Try booting in Dos and run it from there. What harm could it do?