• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

California to buy electric cars for the poor!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Nov/29/agency-car-plan-electric-poor-CARB/

Should state help poor buy clean cars?

Subsidies proposed as a way to clean air

By Steven Greenhut3:58 p.m.Nov. 29, 2013Updated6:33 a.m.Dec. 2, 2013

Angie Vorhies leaves her Nissan Leaf electric vehicle charging station as she heads for shopping at a mall Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi) The Associated Press

SACRAMENTO — One longtime critic of federal transportation spending once concluded that it would be less expensive for the government to buy every new transit rider a Jaguar XJ8 than it would be to build certain new rail systems. Unfortunately, California officials may not have realized that the idea of buying people new cars wasn’t a serious proposal as much as a way to illustrate a point about excessive spending.
The California Air Resources Board is now embarking on a program that would help poor people buy energy-efficient vehicles. In one scenario posed by the agency, a “voucher” might even pay the full price for a Nissan Leaf, an electric car with an MSRP above $21,000, or for used cars with lower price tags.
In a staff report released on Nov. 19, the agency analyzes its Enhanced Fleet Modernization Program authorized in 2007. Funded by a $1 surcharge on vehicle registrations, the $30-million-a-year program is essentially a “cash for clunkers” deal. It provides motorists with $1,000 to $1,500 to retire their high-polluting vehicles.
The board also sponsors a pilot program that provides up to $4,000 for certain motorists to ditch their old cars and buy late-model, cleaner vehicles. The board admits that the current program is “overly complicated” and “highly bureaucratic,” so it’s looking for ways to streamline and expand it so that more people take advantage of the assistance.
More

More Steven Greenhut columns about California.

Two new laws enable this effort. AB 8 extended the life of the $1 surcharge until 2024. And SB 459 directs the agency to offer vouchers at “no less than $2,500.” There is no apparent maximum. The law authorizes “an increase in the compensation for low-income vehicle owners as necessary to balance maximizing air quality benefits while ensuring participation.” One goal, as explained in the SB 459 fact sheet, is to promote “transportation justice.”
Apparently, wealthy people already are benefiting from subsidies to high-end electric car makers such as the Tesla. This law brings car subsidies directly to lower-income people. The law was authored by Sen. Fran Pavley, D-Calabassas, recently named one of two Legislators of the Year by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers for her efforts to promote cleaner air.
In a chart in the staff report, the Air Resources Board looks at the potential “incentive” that would be needed to encourage people to buy the desired type of car. It finds, for instance, the agency would need to pay the “full cost” of a vehicle for a family of two to buy a new electric car or $18,000 for a family of three to buy a used hybrid. The agency isn’t saying that it will necessarily provide such large subsidies, but the report does lay the groundwork for much larger subsidies than are now available.

More at the link:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
this is a joke on the other hand I wished some one would buy my wife an electric broom so I wouldn't have to buy so much gas.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
this is a joke on the other hand I wished some one would buy my wife an electric broom so I wouldn't have to buy so much gas.
If it were any state other than Mexifornica I would say it's a joke, but I'm not so sure...:whistling::whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose the next thing will be paying for the poor's electricity to charge those little electric Easter eggs

Kane

Only in Amerika do we reward dependency. And only in Kalifornia is that reward elevated to a political art. WTF is wrong with these people?