• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Plam Beach doesn't like Donald Trump's American Flag!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't have a clue what party Donald Trump supports (and I don't really care), but I do have to love his comments in this little battle he is having.

ap_small.gif

Palm Beach doesn't like Trump flagpole

2 hours, 59 minutes ago

Donald Trump's display of patriotism is apparently too flamboyant for this chic oceanside town.
Palm Beach officials cited Trump for hoisting a large American flag atop an 80-foot pole at his lavish Mar-a-Lago estate and club.

Town officials said the real estate mogul has violated zoning codes with a flagpole taller than 42 feet and for erecting it without a building permit and permission from the landmarks board. Trump has until Nov. 27 to apply for approvals or face a Dec. 21 code enforcement hearing that could result in $250-a-day fines.

"You don't need a permit to put up the American flag," Trump said Tuesday. "The day you need a permit to put up the American flag, that will be a sad day for this country."

Lee Hanley, vice chairman of the town's landmarks commission, previously said the 15-by-25-foot flag makes the town look like "we have an Okeechobee car dealer," referring to a strip of auto dealerships along Okeechobee Boulevard in West Palm Beach.

Trump responded in a letter last week saying that "anyone who objects should not, in my opinion, hold a public office of any kind — at least not in this country."

The flag appeared outside the estate Oct. 3.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd like to see a pic of it.
....like a $250 a day fine is going to bother Mr. Trump. I'm expecting the city to give in to him, if not this just might get interesting.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the photo you requested.

While a large flag, the property is also large (Mar-a-lago is 110,000 square feet and is one of the largest homes ever built in the world).

image_4816040.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Bob.
That looks awesome. For a change, I totally agree with Trump's statement. He needs one that tall with everything else around that area. A 42' pole would be hidden by the trees and structures.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I remember a few Florida car dealers getting into a flag size war that ended up on the door step of one of the Courts. Based on memory, I don't believe that a city can limit the size of the flag was the final decission... Can't find the case doing a Google search, but someone else might..... Junk...

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
mla2ofus said:
So why was the 95'(?)tower next to flag pole approved?
Mike

Maybe he should cut the flag pole down to 41 feet.. then attach it to the top of that tower. That tower looks like his own personal light house.

OkeeDon

You're all missing the point. All he had to do was follow the existing rules, apply for a permit and supply engineering data that the flag pole was to be installed correctly, and endure an inspection that it was properly installed. He chose to ignore and even flaunt the law; is that the behavior you all support? Shame on you.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, while you make a very valid point, the fact of the matter is a little deeper than you suggest. The exiting rules, according to a source I was reading yesterday, limits the size of the flag that is allowed to be displayed. Consequently, while you are totally correct that he did not follow the process, the fact is he would have likely been told that what he wanted to do was forbidden. And I'd also bet that he knew that, so he did this to bring the point up so that the public could be his jury, rather than be shut down by some petty bureaucrats in an office.

OkeeDon

B_Skurka said:
Don, while you make a very valid point, the fact of the matter is a little deeper than you suggest. The exiting rules, according to a source I was reading yesterday, limits the size of the flag that is allowed to be displayed. Consequently, while you are totally correct that he did not follow the process, the fact is he would have likely been told that what he wanted to do was forbidden. And I'd also bet that he knew that, so he did this to bring the point up so that the public could be his jury, rather than be shut down by some petty bureaucrats in an office.
I agree the poermission would likely have been refused. Not only is there a size limitation, but it comes under the rules for historical property, as well.

The fact remains, he knew the rules, likely knew that permission would be refused, and deliberately chose to break the law. Once again, is that the type of behavior you're trying to teach your daughter?

I know that your housing association enforces the rules they have established. Why should not the Palm Beach city leaders?

By the way, I would guess the tower on the house was built before there were height limitations. Regardless, there are height limitations and size limitations today, and those are the legal and official rules of the community, whether you like them or not. In this country, you work to get the rules changed. It's wrong to break them, and it's incredible that this bunch of so-called conservatives can forget their principles so quickly when it's convenient. Bah.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, you totally missed the point of my post. I was not defending him, just explaining what he did and gave a likely reason why he did it. Please read what I write and stop reading in what you think I write, its not there.

OkeeDon

If I missed the point of your post, it's because you didn't articulate it. If you don't want to be tarred by the brush, you should consider a disclaimer -- "I don't approve of this, but it is a likely explanation. Unfortunately, you still haven't said you disapprove of his actions. And, it appears all the other people who thought the city was wrong and Trump was right have disappeared with their tails between their legs after I pointed out how dumb they are.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, I have not stated ANY position on this issue (other than I enjoyed his comments). I'm not sure why you think I must take a position either way.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Dumb???????? Have you looked in a mirror recently????
I am not running. I don't believe that the town should have any say as to what you do with your land. You own it, not them, and as such, you should have the right to do on it whatever you choose, so long as it doesn't infringe on your neighbors quiet enjoyment of their land. Problem with politicians is that they think that they know what is best for everyone except for themselves. They routinely exempt themselves from the laws that they pass. Today, I have had 3 prime examples of this.... Calls from political candidates telling me that I should vote for them. My telephone number is on the no call list, but the politicians have exempted themselves from this regulation. If Palm Beach wants to start a pissing contest with Donald Trump, then they should cite him for every violation, such as flag size, not just the pole itself. No, they want to hold that one for the next round after they loose this one. Piss on the bastards.... that is what I say about politicians..... And, the next time that you call me or anyone else here dumb, you will get the other barrel squarely aimed at you......:mad: :mad:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
I'd like to see a pic of it.
....like a $250 a day fine is going to bother Mr. Trump.

Now that's the part I think is funny. Not only could he afford to pay that no problem, but I'd bet he'll find a way to deduct the cost. :yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Today, I have had 3 prime examples of this.... Calls from political candidates telling me that I should vote for them. My telephone number is on the no call list, but the politicians have exempted themselves from this regulation.

Hey, what the hell?! I just had a peckerwood call me to tell me to be sure and vote for him and I'm on a no-call list as well. But, I was very tactful; I told the caller that I am on a no-call list and he can go to hell! See, I was nice. :whistle:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Re: Palm Beach doesn't like Donald Trump's American Flag!

I'm not so nice. I tell them that they just lost my vote by calling me, since I am on the no call list. The whole lot of them are pathetic. In CT, one party is running ads pointing out that the incumbent has taken something like 88 "fact finding" trips that have been paid for by either the government or big business. They fail to mention that there are lots of members of there party that have done the same thing. In one ad, they point out that the candidate has done nothing in Washington..... good reason, he hasn't been elected yet!! The Democratic and Republican parties are like reading OkeeDon and Cityboy posts. They all slant the words to get the desired results, hoping and thinking that we will believe what they say, because they said it... :horsepoop:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Palm Beach doesn't like Donald Trump's American Flag!

Junkman said:
The Democratic and Republican parties are like reading OkeeDon and Cityboy posts. They all slant the words to get the desired results, hoping and thinking that we will believe what they say, because they said it...

:respect: :applause:

Dutch-NJ

OkeeDon said:
You're all missing the point. All he had to do was follow the existing rules, apply for a permit and supply engineering data that the flag pole was to be installed correctly, and endure an inspection that it was properly installed. He chose to ignore and even flaunt the law; is that the behavior you all support? Shame on you.

NO.......... Shame on you. You seem enjoy living as a puppet for tin horn tyrants

Trump is displaying true Americanism. Fight illegal laws. Don't let tyrants bully us.

OkeeDon said:
I agree the poermission would likely have been refused. Not only is there a size limitation, but it comes under the rules for historical property, as well.

It costs time and money to apply for permission. Trump isn’t stupid. Why ask for permission if you think it will be denied?

OkeeDon said:
The fact remains, he knew the rules, likely knew that permission would be refused, and deliberately chose to break the law. Once again, is that the type of behavior you're trying to teach your daughter?

Civil disobedience, just like Martin Luther King practiced, is EXACTLY what I have taught my daughters and their husbands. They don't believe they can do what I have done and hope I live a long time. I tell them they can do it.

OkeeDon said:
I know that your housing association enforces the rules they have established. Why should not the Palm Beach city leaders?

I don’t live in a development where a Housing Association dictates how I live.

OkeeDon said:
By the way, I would guess the tower on the house was built before there were height limitations. Regardless, there are height limitations and size limitations today, and those are the legal and official rules of the community, whether you like them or not.

I have always obeyed all the rules that are fair and legal.

As for those that are unfair or illegal, I ignore them and do as I please.

I have had $1000 a day fines imposed on me. I refuse to pay them. I have been handcuffed over 100 times.

The majority of my neighbors support me, but they don’t have the balls to fight the tyrannical “system” themselves.

OkeeDon said:
By the way, I would guess the tower on the house was built before there were height limitations. Regardless, there are height limitations and size limitations today, and those are the legal and official rules of the community, whether you like them or not. In this country, you work to get the rules changed. It's wrong to break them, and it's incredible that this bunch of so-called conservatives can forget their principles so quickly when it's convenient. Bah.

Palm Beach has liberal leaders. Those liberal leaders make the “laws.” Then those liberal leaders appoint like minded thinkers (like you) to the zoning and planning boards. Liberal puppets and bullies (like you) sit on those boards and dictate how others are to live.

I have appeared before such zoning boards. I tell them they are puppets. I tell them I do not recognize their authority. I tell them I am not going pay the fees they demand to hear my case. I tell them I am not going to comply with their demands. I tell them the only way they can enforce their rules is to arrest and imprison me.

I have been to court many times. I have never lost a case.

I have been laughed at and ridiculed. When I countersue and put their liberal asses in harms way, they pull in they horns quick.

Several zoning officers, at least one planner, a police chief, and even a Superior Court Judge, have lost their jobs as a result of attempting to use their official positions to enforce their illegal “laws.” And a police lieutenant was even indicted and convicted.

I live by Winston Churchill’s words, “Never give in--never, never, never, never....”

I don't know all the facts of his dispute, but my support is with "The Donald."

Last edited:

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
In our local paper.. a developer wrote a news article series on the costs & processes in takes in our county to build a new home.

The $ that went to the local county goverment for tests, taxes, fees, permits, etc, etc, etc,.. cost more then the materials for the house itself?