• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Buying a trailer

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
The van failed its MOT, atleast it failed pretty significantly :D
So now I gotta move the tractors around, and I gotta find a way to do it pretty quickstyle. I needed to mow a lawn last week, that I just put off, but now it must be done. So off to buy a trailer.

I'm pretty set on buying from this company, its only 5 miles down the road. So now the question becomes what to get.

Obviously, the biggest is best, or is it. The tow vehicle has a whopping 50(-)HP :whistle: so we cant go too heavy. Tractor weighs 500kg max.
Regular trips are about 2 miles back and forth every 2 weeks, and then the occasional a bit more.

So is twin axle best? Get one with a ramp, or use separate ramps (already have some)? Braked, unbraked (its hilly round here, but its a small load, and short distances, also the tow doesnt go over 40 :yum: )?

Any pointers to look for if they have any second hand ones there?

All info is good, looking for something about 8x5', maybe a little less.

trailer shop

Thanks, should be going trailer shopping tomorrow :D :(

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of smaller is better a long as it is big enough. If I was you, I'd figure the largest/heaviest tractor you are likely to haul, and then add a little more size/weight for supplies. That is the biggest I would get.

As for ramps, it really becomes a matter of choice and design trade offs. I have removable ramps. I'd prefer pull out ramps that store under the bed, but as my trailer is fairly small, and as I really wanted the lowest bed height I could get, I couldn't have pull out ramps unless I wanted to raise the bed height another 5" or so. Some people like Tip Up ramps, but I don't because it makes it hard to carry long loads that overhang the rear of the trailer.

BTW, with the tractors I've seen in your photos, I see no reason why you'd need to go to a dual axle design. If you don't need the extra capacity you are simply adding weight and expense. A single axle trailer should get you a GVW of 3500# and the trailer should weigh roughly 500# giving you payload of roughly 3000#. For the tractors I've seen you post photos of, that should be plenty of capacity . . . unless you are hiding something!!!

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Mith.......I have a 5 x 8 landscape type trailer with a 3500# axle. It has 18"" sides & a tailgate ramp combo. I's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It hauls my mowers, loads of mulch, the kids 4 wheelers, and best of all, the cow manure for the garden (keeps the wife from hauling it in my new truck). It pulls easy & cost me about $850 us. here's a link to the trailer I have. I opted for the steel treadplate floor instead of wood, & it was another $25 over the cost of the 5x8 wood floor model. I made some removable side boards out of plywood to go on to haul loose materials. Here it is set to go.................

Attachments

• utility trailer.jpg
    utility trailer.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 200

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
The max capacity of the trailers on the site I linked to is 750kg (1500#), with a 500kg (1000#) load that should be OK?
The dual axle is £100 (max) more expensive, but it doesnt seem to add to the capacity (though I dont need any more capacity). I understand dual axles are harder to reverse, tyres wear more.... Any advantages to them?

The ramps I have are the aluminium type used for loading into pickups. The ramp on the tailgate looks like a £100 option, it would be nice to not have ramps, but I do already have them.

Any reasons to have, or not to have an option would be appreciated.

Bob, I may be hiding something, if I was it'd need a much bigger tow vehicle
Tom, what you have is basically what I am looking for.

The site in the first post has pictures of the trailers

daedong

Mith, do you have laws on brakes being fitted over a certain weight. Here you must have brakes over 750 kg I think.

Anyway I think Bob was right on the money smaller and single axle.

In regard to backing (reverse) a tandem will reverse easier than a single axle, The longer your draw bar the easier it is to back. Ask them to put an extra 300mm- 1000mm on the draw bar, this will also make it better for carrying long items
[FONT=&quot]To be precise, the greater the distance from the tow ball to the wheels the easier it is to back [/FONT]