• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Interesting person that I met

rugerman

Pirate Girl I was thinking about you being a nurse and I remembered a very interesting nurse that I met when I was a general flunky/delivery boy for a independent pharmacy. Miss Lonie was over 100 years old when I first met her, she was taking care of her brother, once upon a time she was a nurse in the yellow fever ward in a hospital in Mobile Alabama. Even at her age she was sharp as a tack, after her brother died she moved from the old homestead to a small house and she lived alone, I would deliver to her as I was going home unless the need was urgent. She love to talk and she had lived in the time before cars and she told me how they traveled . To get to work she went by horse and wagon to Blakley Alabama, since it took a few days to make the trip they would stay at folks houses along the way, at Blakley she would take a ferry to Mobile then get a ride to the hospital where she would work for a month or two at a time. Her family owed a bunch of land and ran a turpentine operation, she would go with her brother to collect the turpentine and take it to Pensacola Florida, a trip that would take a week or two to complete, she remembered all the details. I very rarely got out of there in less than a hour and I enjoyed every minute of my stay, she lived to be around 114 if I remember correctly.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a precious story, ruger.
Thank you for sharing it.

I've taken care of a few retired nurses in my time.
One being Ruth.
She was also the nurse who instructed me with an iron fist during clinicals.
She came from the old school when nurses were housed in dorms at St. Rita's Medical school of nursing.
I called her Sarge, but never to her face.
One time, after she'd had a stroke, I was her nurse for about 3 or 4 months before she passed away.
I'll never forget her saying "you're good, don't ever lose the spark and compassion"
To this day, I keep that in mind when the shift is rough.