• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Color Opinions

Rjohnson

I have a 75 Spryte that is in need of a new paint job. The wife hates the orange color. What is everyones opinion of keeping it true to original or changing to something different.

Thanks for you feed back

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
my snow trac is western snow plow red so is my Thiokol and I kind of like the color the Thiokol just by luck came that way. Jim's fire engine chartreuse green is unique and high vis as would arctic cat green. I've always liked red white and blue themes.what did you have in mind.

Rjohnson

So far I have no plans. Does changing color de-value the machine in any way. I would love to see some photos for ideas.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
usually they are painted to be seen. mine was painted green to match the DOT stuff when parked in the same lot.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim has the only high visibility camouflaged Trac. Visible in the wild, hidden in the parking lot.

This colour scheme would stand out.

Attachments

• checker.jpg
    checker.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 347

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
to answer the question as long as you don't paint it some kind of obnoxious color like pink or tmp green (those of you in who were in the army in the 80's know what I mean) I don't think it will hurt the value of it.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
to answer the question as long as you don't paint it some kind of obnoxious color like pink or tmp green (those of you in who were in the army in the 80's know what I mean) I don't think it will hurt the value of it.

I would agree but with the caveat "as long as it's well done". I've seen some machines that have been repainted a different color on the outside, but not inside the cab and that looks poor. As does a contrasting color so hastily done it's flaking off in many places revealing the original color underneath.

In those situations I'd argue the color change devalues the machine.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to agree with mr Blackfoot. If well done. I bought mine with brush strokes. If I were concerned with price, that would have been a \/ value. Someday I will get to the point to blast,prep and have it shot. There is a outfit locally that has an oven big enough to take the entire cab. A one shot powder coat would look great... The dent in my wallet, not so much.

CRockett

If it's something unique that your looking for, go to a graphic arts shop and check out a vinyl wrap. It can be just about anything.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
If it's something unique that your looking for, go to a graphic arts shop and check out a vinyl wrap. It can be just about anything.
OK, "just about anything" So you could get a vinyl print of a kristy and make everyone think they actually move?

(Said the ST guy that only put 8 hours on his this past year)

R

Reddog

Since you asked....
While orange is not my "most favorite" color, I do think it looks good on cats. The issue I had with it on my 1500 was there was just too much of it. I considered a variety of graphics to break up all the orange. Good, bad or indifferent, here is the thread:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=52673
By the time I wound up adding some diamond plate aluminum, black roof rack, ladder and other farkles, I abandoned the graphics idea because there was enough other stuff going on to detract from the abundance of orange, but I still like the creative graphics idea...
I think color changes are difficult enough to do well, and add in all the nooks and crannies of the interior of a cat and it becomes an even bigger challenge (unless you plan to TOTALLY disassemble the rig for the paint project).
I say if the current paint is still serviceable, consider vinyl as suggested before or custom graphics.
All that said, Wakeupcall's Tucker has an awesome paint job IMO, proof that some do come out really well.
FWIW......

Rjohnson

Thanks for all the input I will attach a few photos of the new toy

Attachments

• IMAG0594.jpg
    IMAG0594.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG0595.jpg
    IMAG0595.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 246
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 243
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 245

tomelroy

i would remove the headlight bezels and remove the paint on them (Back to chrome would look good) and remove the radiator and trans cover and paint them black. That would make it look very nice.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Tom's right the paint looks in pretty good shape add some accents and break it up with some pin striping and it might look pretty good the way it is

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree as well...

My impression is the headlight bezels on Thiokols are actually Kenworth / Peterbilt truck bezels. (Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm that.) Re-chroming can be quite expensive. You may be able to find a nice set of used ones considerably cheaper.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
even if you don't re chrome, a nice coat of gloss black will also look nice or silver with a clear coat will look nice too.

cheeto

I agree as well...

My impression is the headlight bezels on Thiokols are actually Kenworth / Peterbilt truck bezels. (Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm that.) Re-chroming can be quite expensive. You may be able to find a nice set of used ones considerably cheaper.

Without having a set in my hands to check I would generally agree that they look like the bezels from a Peterbilt 359. It's possible that these are now available in "chromed" plastic also.

R

Reddog

Think satin black powder coat of maybe a silver/gray hammertone finish would look good. Although, I sort of like them orange too....
Spray paint is cheap and removable, play with it some.