• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

58% of jobs recovered are LOW wage, 79% of losses were mid+high wage jobs

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the stark reality of the Obama recession. Yes, it started at the tale end of the Bush term but it continues to this day and shows no sign of a real recovery.

So we have 50% of recent college grads taking jobs that only require a High School diploma. We have 1/3rd of 'kids' between 25 and 35 living in their parents house.

We have an EPA that is killing high paying jobs and forcing jobs overseas. A president who killed the Keystone pipeline. And we have a shrinking middle class because of the policies of this administration.

Linky => http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...nt-Of-Jobs-Recovered-Are-Low-Wage-Occupations

And

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/Job_Creation/LowWageRecovery2012.pdf?nocdn=1
A new study by the liberal National Employment Law Project (NELP) finds that 58 percent of all jobs recovered in the last two years have been in low-wage occupations, which grew 2.7 times faster than mid-wage and higher-wage jobs.

Other key findings included:
  • Lower-wage occupations were 21 percent of recession losses, but 58 percent of recovery growth.
  • Mid-wage occupations were 60 percent of recession losses, but only 22 percent of recovery growth.
  • Higher-wage occupations were 19 percent of recession job losses, and 20 percent of recovery growth.
  • Three low-wage industries have added 1.7 million jobs in the recovery and constitute 43 percent of total net growth: food services, retail, and administrative, support and waste management services (largely employment services, i.e., temp jobs).
The study examined employment trends in 366 occupations using the government's wage and job survey, known as the Current Population Survey (CPS).

"In short," concludes the report, "America's good jobs deficit continues."

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I believe it I just hope that certain people in this Forum don't post that they have low paying jobs because they are "stupid, lazy, did'nt get the right training . . ."

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I think most reasonable people have less concern about poorly trained or lazy people working low skilled jobs for low wages, than they have with highly educated people who consider themselves above doing low skilled work.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
This is one of the major reasons the divide between classes grows even worse. Good high paying jobs are unavailable due to the downturn in manufacturing.

Kane

never mind the the facts and the depth of the Obama recession, all that you will hear this week from the DNC in Charlotte, over and over:

• We've had 29 consecutive weeks of private sector job growth, and
  • Four million jobs have been created
Over and over. Never mind the real misery, this is how it will be painted. And the Obama sheeple will stand and applaud. Because, as James Carville puts it, 80% of Democrats are stupid.

"Ideologies aren't all that important. What's important is psychology.

The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That's why I became an operative working with Democrats. With Democrats all you have to do is make a lot of noise, lay out the hay, and be ready to use the ole cattle prod in case a few want to bolt the herd.

Eighty percent of the people who call themselves Democrats don't have a clue as to political reality.

What amazes me is that you could take a group of people who are hard workers and convince them that they should support social programs that were the exact opposite of their own personal convictions. Put a little fear here and there and you can get people to vote any way you want.

The voter is basically dumb and lazy. The reason I became a Democratic operative instead of a Republican was because there were more Democrats that didn't have a clue than there were Republicans.

Truth is relative. Truth is what you can make the voter believe is the truth. If you're smart enough, truth is what you make the voter think it is. That's why I'm a Democrat. I can make the Democratic voters think whatever I want them to."
This is the real and present danger facing America on November 6th. Unqualified voter voting for Obama.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe it I just hope that certain people in this Forum don't post that they have low paying jobs because they are "stupid, lazy, did'nt get the right training . . ."

Those arguments would NOT apply to folks who HAD jobs but then LOST them. The study shows that we lost mid paying and high paying jobs but we are only getting back the low wage jobs. Those people who had the mid and high paying jobs have skills and training.

However, 50% of all college grads are getting jobs that only need a high school degree. Many of those folks are students of Anthropology, Women's Studies, Fine Arts/Literature, etc. A huge LIE still told on college campuses today is that "any college degree will get you a job..." Honestly those people DON'T have the right training and the higher education system lied to them.

Whynot

Like it or not, the truth is some of this is Corporations taking advantage of a situation to look better for Wall Street.

I work for Verizon, a Corporation that pays my bills, so please don't call me a Corporate hater. It's no longer about servicing customers, it's about servicing Wall Street. And that is the reality. And why I just can't see anything getting better, unless the corruption and pay for play in Washington goes away.

My job takes me into the headquarters of many large businesses, so through my eyes, it's just not Verizon. They are shedding employees left and right in favor of outsourcing IT and call centers. Things that require a body, they bringing back those they laid off as independent contractors at low rates. With the job market the way it is, they know you will comeback for what they offer. Those employees left are forced to put in 75-80 hours a week, on a salary based on a 50 hour work week.

Don't take this rant as coming from a 99%er, because that's not the case. If you earn it take it. And also don't confuse it for someone who thinks Corporations are about the employees, again they are about making money. As we have seen though, many are making money by not providing a quality product and doing just enough to keep the stock price up. If a small or medium sized business tried that they would be gone in a heartbeat.

And before I hear the if you don't like it leave mantra, I'm working on it and can say with conviction I will not be entering the corporate world ever again. Being a disposable number sucks.

Sorry. LOL

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Like it or not, the truth is some of this is Corporations taking advantage of a situation to look better for Wall Street.

I work for Verizon, a Corporation that pays my bills, so please don't call me a Corporate hater. It's no longer about servicing customers, it's about servicing Wall Street. And that is the reality. And why I just can't see anything getting better, unless the corruption and pay for play in Washington goes away.

My job takes me into the headquarters of many large businesses, so through my eyes, it's just not Verizon. They are shedding employees left and right in favor of outsourcing IT and call centers. Things that require a body, they bringing back those they laid off as independent contractors at low rates. With the job market the way it is, they know you will comeback for what they offer. Those employees left are forced to put in 75-80 hours a week, on a salary based on a 50 hour work week.

Don't take this rant as coming from a 99%er, because that's not the case. If you earn it take it. And also don't confuse it for someone who thinks Corporations are about the employees, again they are about making money. As we have seen though, many are making money by not providing a quality product and doing just enough to keep the stock price up. If a small or medium sized business tried that they would be gone in a heartbeat.

And before I hear the if you don't like it leave mantra, I'm working on it and can say with conviction I will not be entering the corporate world ever again. Being a disposable number sucks.

Sorry. LOL

A very well put non rant.

In perspective and well said.
:agree:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

. . . They are shedding employees left and right in favor of outsourcing IT and call centers . . .

Sorry. LOL

But those call centers are LOW WAGE, LOW SKILL jobs that you say are being shed. Even IT jobs are no longer mid-to-high paying jobs, those are now low to mid paying jobs in that section of employment because the world has been flooded with computer techs.

Whynot

But those call centers are LOW WAGE, LOW SKILL jobs that you say are being shed. Even IT jobs are no longer mid-to-high paying jobs, those are now low to mid paying jobs in that section of employment because the world has been flooded with computer techs.

Using the study you quoted and the numbers I found for average salaries (indeed.com, numbers as of Sept 3rd 2012) your suggestion that call centers are LOW WAGE, LOW SKILL jobs is false. There are a variety of call centers, many of which have HIGHLY SKILLED people answering the phone, but there are also the ones who take nothing but orders. The study nor you differentiated between the two so neither will I. And IT jobs being in the LOW WAGE scale is also false. But there are so many facets of IT, they really shouldn't be put under one umbrella.

I converted the average salary into the hourly rate using a 40 hour work week.

The results:
Call center agent: $48,000 per year; $23.07 an hour; HIGH PAY
Network technician: $51,000 per year; $24.51 an hour; HIGH PAY
Food service worker: $25,000 per year; $12.01 an hour; LOW PAY
Retail sals associate: $21,000 per year; $10.09 an hour; LOW PAY