• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Some winter pickings from the greenhouse

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked these this morning. Plants are growing way tall(6ft.) and have a bunch of flowers on them. We have 2 honeybees that are flying around in there so it must help.

Attachments

• winter tomatoes 001.jpg
    winter tomatoes 001.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 31

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty darn nice considering the time of year!

What else have you got that is nearly ready?

Ever tried sweet corn? I know it takes lots of room for not much corn...It's just my favorite thing!

Green beans are as well. Any of those?

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Have some onions in a big rectangular tub that are growing rather well. Time to start seedlings for early transplant in the garden. Have entirely too many damn flowers and house plants in there. Some will need moved to the house as the seedlings start growing. Can't understand WHY we need to save all these geraniums and things that are not for eating.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Bill - Have you tried oregano inside? My plants outside were doing well and producing even fighting the frost. I brought them in a couple weeks ago and they're wilting pretty bad. Thoughts?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty darn nice considering the time of year!

What else have you got that is nearly ready?

Ever tried sweet corn? I know it takes lots of room for not much corn...It's just my favorite thing!

Green beans are as well. Any of those?

Regards, Kirk

I don't think one can get enough sun in the winter for corn.
I have tried it and got mostly a lime green spiney plants with no success for ears. Perhaps the miniature versions would work.

Beans ought to do OK. Low yield unless you have flies, other insects, or can pollinate manualy.
Peppers will definitely work in the green house as will cucumbers and several sqaush.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Bill - Have you tried oregano inside? My plants outside were doing well and producing even fighting the frost. I brought them in a couple weeks ago and they're wilting pretty bad. Thoughts?
You probably "shocked" them going from cold to warm. Put them in a cool place with indirect light for a week. Cover them with a clear plastic bag. Open the bags once a day for a short while to prevent fungal growth.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Franc. Will give that a try. Cut off the wilted stuff (the parts that haven't yet yellowed) but are just laying there or cut them all off?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife has chives and some other herbs growing but they were brought in the greenhouse back in late September. We had good luck with beets last year inside. Carrots grew OK but it might have just been the variety that kept them small. Some we transplanted got huge out in the garden.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Franc. Will give that a try. Cut off the wilted stuff (the parts that haven't yet yellowed) but are just laying there or cut them all off?

Yes, remove any wilted or yellowing. The plants are over extending the root system which likely lost some viability when they got cold.

Prune back vigorously.
Cover with plastic bags to reduce evaporation stress
Put in low light to temporarily reduce metobolic stress
And this will let the roots heal and catch up to smaller plant demands.
Place in sunny locations and they should take off.

Caution, Oregano does not like it's roots to be in water. Be careful not to overwater.