• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Garden is going nuts!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
This is our first year using the black landscape fabric to plant our stuff in. We have broccoli,cauliflower,peppers and a bunch of other stuff planted through holes cut in it. It has been working out great and we will probably expand on this idea next year. The tomatoes and everything seem to do well and it helps cut down on evaporation and really helps the weed control. Wife was wondering if we could do corn next year. It is a little expensive but we will take it up in the fall and mark the pieces to put back in the same spots next year. Overall I am very happy with it. The pumpkins everyone said you cant grow on it are doing better than the ones in the corn are. Melons are finally forming fruit and should do fine as well.

Attachments

• garden 004.jpg
    garden 004.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 84
  • garden 006.jpg
    garden 006.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 84
  • garden 007.jpg
    garden 007.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 84
  • garden 008.jpg
    garden 008.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 84
  • garden 010.jpg
    garden 010.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 84
  • garden 002.jpg
    garden 002.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 84

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is some broccoli and beets we have ready right now. For some reason the purple peppers are way ahead of the green ones.

Attachments

• garden 001.jpg
    garden 001.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 83
  • garden 011.jpg
    garden 011.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 83

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
What is the dimensions of your garden. You piss me off cause you ain't got no weeds. All the rain we got this year has made it impossible to work in it. This is the first year I went and got some weed killer for my corn. The rest I just did my best, but the weeds one. My garden is roughly 125 and 150. Hey my sweet corn is up around 7' right now and good sized cobs. I just need the cobs to fill out and eat-o it is. Should be another week or so. Did notice a few ears pulled down the husk is off. Fricken coons.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Never really measure it but I guess about 200X150 minus the greenhouse. The coons are one of the reasons I am working on getting the rest of the fence done around it. Will have a hot wire on top and around the wife's flowerbeds as well. That is the only thing that keeps the coons and bear out of it. They respect electric fence and not much else. The guy baling hay saw a mama coon with seven babies crossing the field so I can't take too long. There is something about fresh sweet corn they and the bears love. It really pisses you off cause they wait till you just start harvesting and can wipe you out in a couple nights. If it was just the coons I would leave the dogs out all night but the bear is bad news. As for the weeds I have been busting ass on the corn pulling weeds for a week now. When I get done I will give it a shot of fish emulsion and then wait a day and back to watering. Our clay ground dries out bad if you don't water. Will add some more sand to the corn area next spring and till it in. That really helped the root crops a lot.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You piss me off because you have a garden!!!!! :wow:

Mine is a disaster this year. While we were on vacation, the water well had a "mishap" and the garden didn't get watered in over two weeks of 90+ degree temperatures. Anything that was in full sun was fried and the stuff in partial sun is so stunted that I doubt if it'll make anything. Never one to be beaten down though, I'm planning on a fall garden that'll be magnificent ... I hope.

Congrats, Muleman, I'm so jealous.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We lost a bunch of early stuff to the critters and the cold. That is why the corn is so late as well. Thinking about sweating the corn under the cloth next year and then opening and folding back slots in the fabric after it sprouts.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well come on over and help weed. This heat is working against me getting it done. I cut back to one 5 gal. bucket at a time and am calling it quits for this afternoon till the sun goes down a little. The wife stole my broccoli and took it down to the old woman who makes my pies for me. Took some beets and purple peppers and onions also. I don't mind as I dropped her off some blueberries yesterday and will get it back in pie soon.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Things are really starting to ripen for harvest now. We have been getting enough tomatoes to have to freeze some to keep up. Got the first cantaloupe and one melon is almost ready. Lima beans are filling out the pods and finally getting a few green peppers. Sunflowers are renegades from last years seed. Early corn is pushing ears and might be ready in a few weeks.

Attachments

• veggies 011.jpg
    veggies 011.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 53
  • veggies 015.jpg
    veggies 015.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 52
  • veggies 014.jpg
    veggies 014.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 51
  • veggies 012.jpg
    veggies 012.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 53
  • veggies 010.jpg
    veggies 010.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 53
  • veggies 007.jpg
    veggies 007.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 53

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Got a few giant sunflowers as well. And lots of flowers! Seems certain flowers took awhile to get going this year as well. I blame the late cold weather as the ground temp was too low to germinate corn as well as certain other seeds.

Attachments

• veggies 017.jpg
    veggies 017.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 53
  • veggies 018.jpg
    veggies 018.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 52
  • veggies 019.jpg
    veggies 019.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 52
  • veggies 021.jpg
    veggies 021.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 50
  • veggies 028.jpg
    veggies 028.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 50
  • veggies 025.jpg
    veggies 025.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 50

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The wife stole my broccoli and took it down to the old woman who makes my pies for me. Took some beets and purple peppers and onions also. I don't mind as I dropped her off some blueberries yesterday and will get it back in pie soon.
Broccoli, beet and purple pepper pie????

Bill - Did you use that black cloth again this year? I have a bunch and have been thinking about using it but was worried about the veggies that lay on it getting burned.

Rusty - this section has been here since the forum started in 2005.

To keep on subject, my garden is kicking butt as well.

For the cucumbers, I gave away 4+ bushels, ate as many as I could and canned 70+ quarts of pickles. Last night I said the hell with them and ripped all the plants out of the ground.

Tomatoes are really coming in. I'm pulling out 2 bushels per week now and expect that to raise to over 3 bushel in the coming weeks. So much canning going on that I just leave a lot of it setup.

Pumpkins are huge and turning orange. Way too early... Looks like pies and seeds instead of Halloween jack-o-lanterns.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I used the black cloth and in fact put more stuff out with it. My stuff is running late due to a late start with the rainy weather we had. After having a round of Japanese beetles and hanging some traps for them we suddenly have stink bugs on the pumpkins mostly. Was just out spraying them with sevin. The tomatoes are looking like we are going to get a whole bunch ripening at once like last year. Corn is starting to push ears and most have 2 per stalk so will be plenty even though I planted less this year. We still have a bunch from last year froze. Will try to can more stuff as the freezers are still pretty full. Have a bunch of beets that need pulled and canned. The peas I planted last week are starting to come up as well. Just starting to get some green peppers forming but have so many hot ones we are giving them away. Had part of one on a pizza and they are spicy enough!