• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alternator upgrade

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Changed the alternator in my Spryte to the common SI10 Delco unit used in countless GM cars and trucks. The advantage is more charging power and internally regulated solid state. The one I used is rated 63 amps, others are available with more or less power output. Cost at NAPA is less than $70. A 1" piece of 1/2" pipe spacer is needed for the mounting bracket and the alternator lower mounting hole needs drilled out to 7/16 to fit the larger bolt. # 2 terminal goes to output stud with short wire, #1 terminal goes to ignition switch 12 volts. An idiot light or resistor has to be part of #1 wire or the engine will not shut off with the key. "Clock" the alternator when pulley is off so terminals face up when mounted. 8 or 10 gauge wire for alternator output.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 517
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 507
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 517
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 518

cranman

You can have a different internal regulator installed to make these a one wire hookup with no need for the light/resister at the dash. They have a rubber cap that closes off 1 and 2. I have one on my 265 Chry Ind in my bombardier. Just one #10 wire to solenoid/starter. I also put one on my Suzuki Samurai Plow truck to handle the winch load, and I have that one hooked up though the original dash light, very much as you did. Pretty hard to beat these alternators for ease of install and price !!

bdpeek

Looks great, trying the same thing on a 1404 I'm trying to rebuild working on the engine now. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that running a jumper from the #2 to the Bat lug, as in your picture, leaves the regulator energized at all times even with the key off, as it's getting power from the battery? A little better option might be to run that wire to a remote junction where it can read the charging/output requirements. There is a great site that can explain this better than I ever could.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/remotevoltagesensing.shtml

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the diode in the alternator stops that from happening. Could be wrong though.