• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Time to invest contest

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well gold has gone down some more. I didn't check the numbers, but I have to be in the red at this point.

mak2

A friend of mine jsut offered to "give" me a house. She just evicted the third straight renter. The house appraised last year at 115k. The mortgage is 90k. New furnance roof < 10 years old etc. This is a whacky economy, I am afraid of this deal. What do you guys think. I have experence with rentals. Some do seem possesed by an evil non rent paying demon that goes away when some else buys the house. but 25k is tough to walk away from.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Put the address into Zillow.com and see if it has gone down 25k since that appraisal. Many properties have.

And look at Zillow's comparables, and comparable recent sales.

People have to live somewhere so rentals will always have some value. It seems to me if the rent will carry the payment plus repairs, plus some spendable income for you, then it won't hurt you to buy and then wait several years (and it probably will be) before you sell it for more.

You might want to start your own thread for this subject.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Just had a quick look and im still $328.64 in profit....i feel a surge coming on:yum::yum::yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I didn't check my numbers, but I know I'm in the black too. 90% of what I bought was GLD and it was under $88 when this started, its over $93 now.

Looks like I'm off the beans & rice diet and back to steak and lamb chops!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You guys enjoy your steak; I am going to a soup kitchen. I'm down 1900 or so.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, it's been a good week for the stock market so I thought that I'd check and see what's happening.

I'm up $1117.04

Can't be bad. How about the rest of you guys? Man, I miss Big Al.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still up, but just a little. $79.86
My one stock is up almost $10 per share :clap:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
If I didn't miss a finger counting, I'm down $1270. Most of the loss is associated with two stocks. The others are hanging pretty close.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As long as gold (GLD) stays up then I am up. And so far, so good. It fell from its highs, but is still above the buy price when this contest started so I'm in good shape.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The beauty is - no loss or gain until you sell. I'm doing better outside of the game, but I would really suck if I sold right now.

Buying every share of TXT I can afford these days.

My Credit Card is empty - I can buy lots and lots of gas.........

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
My one lonely stock that I bought 10K of jumped up +12.86% today and I am still in the crapper on this one...........:whistling:.

Gatorboy

I'm glad to report I am now UP $2120.76

516 shares of GRMN: Bought at $19.37, closed yesterday at $23.48

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The crapper is getting shallower as today LVLT jumped up +20.25%:clap:

In two days LVLT went up +33% and I am headed back toward a break even point.........:whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did buy more acreage. How do I value that? :smile:

For the purposes of THIS little contest, which is a short term contest, that is a loser.

In the real world LONG TERM growth, short term loss. You and I are fairly lucky, we've not seen the massive devaluation in real estate in Indiana that other high growth areas have seen, but everything I see/hear is that we are not yet at the bottom and even in the reasonably stable areas there is some devaluation. I've been looking at buying some commercial property but still see that the prices may come down a bit more.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
LVLT is up another 9.47% today. Seems like they are making some deals that will raise their value and stock prices.

The crapper is getting shallower for me.....only down about -$715.00 as of today. Sure beats the almost -4K of a couple weeks ago.........Things are looking up at least for today............:ermm:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe we should just call ourselves the loosers club

Speak for yourself bro'. I'm still up $628. 44. Now, I'm not going to get rich doing this but then, not many people are. Still, I'm ahead. Now if only my real portfolio would do something spectacular, then I'd be really happy.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Things are looking up for me now!!!!!!!!!!!1

LVLT up +20.39% yesterday which puts me back into the black........:w00t2:

8928 shares X $1.24 = $11,070.72.................... Up $1071.36 from purchase price of $9,999.36..................:whistling:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't make much in the last couple of weeks mainly because my gold mining shares were down but I'm still $732 ahead.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I think it's about time for a May update since things have been going reasonably well in the market lately.

As of today, I stand at $1594.07 in the black. That's up 15.95% since the competition began. That's not too bad. Not being the greedy type, I'm happy. :clap:

All four of my picks are doing OK. The lowest gainer is my gold mining company at 6.08% and the big winner is my banking stock which rebounded and is up by 32.11%.

I wish Big Al was here.