• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Resume Help!!!???

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok... in order for me to use a 100% true resume, I need peoples opinions.
Since 1994 I have had 18 positions in 18 different companies and they were all in sales. I have ran the gammut. Many hiring employers lying about the position to make it sound much better than it was.... I just plain didnt know how to sell a product because I didnt get proper training and or I didnt have the industry background. The management was insane. I simply sucked at it for various reasons. I got layed off. Company filed for BK... company office closed. whole damn company closed. Yadda yadda yadda....

SO now I want a true resume and I dont know how to do it without someone looking at it for 2 seconds and tossing it. Ive taken jobs in the past because I need too because I was about to go homeless. Usually a poor career decision. More like desperation. But when you live alone and no supporting cast members, ya do whatcha have to do. Heck I cleaned out grease traps and dug sewers for a few months for CAYYYY-SHHHH.

Anyways.. back to heart of it all. Im wanting to WHEEEEP up a new resume that is true but 18 jobs.... 14 years..... sometimes 6 months gap between jobs.... it will be ignored by most all of the recruiters out there. ESPECIALLY if my whole background is sales and Im applying for something other than sales.

People are going to think Im a retard and maybe rightfully so :neutral: I mean how could so many people say I would be really great at sales and then I look at my record? I suppose in my defense Ive been lied to, screwed over, had companies go BK... layoff... restructure.... etc.....
But still I think how in Gods name can all it happen to one guy? :neutral: It just doesnt sit right with me.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
SO now I want a true resume and I dont know how to do it without someone looking at it for 2 seconds and tossing it.
Start out with a great Objective
"Career term affiliation with a progressive organization where I may fully utilize my _____ and ______ knowledge and experience to our mutual benefit."

Fill in the ______ with whatever works for you. (Technical, Managerial, Sales...)

You break that down and there's all kinds of good things being said about yourself and your potential employer.

I'm pretty good at resumes so if you e-mail me yours, I'll take a look at it for you.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
After a few attempts on making a GOOD resume.... its still not looking good. How can I make it look good is anyones question. I think thats why there hasnt been much response to the thread. Its not easy. :neutral:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After a few attempts on making a GOOD resume.... its still not looking good. How can I make it look good is anyones question. I think thats why there hasnt been much response to the thread. Its not easy. :neutral:

I'm still waiting for you to send me a copy...

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Info sent. Sorry man. Ive had little SHLEEEP. Im pooped. :sad:
BUT...... darn excited about what CAN be next!!!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I slept 5 hours last night. I havent worked on anything today. I just need a solid nights sleep.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
First off, try foccussing less on the amount of jobs you've had while writing your resume and try to focus more on the skills you've learned from the jobs you've had(teamwork, punctuality, organization etc...)

I've had to go that route in the past when applying for a job because realistically, when my present employer looked at my resume and saw "short-order cook" and I was applying for a job in a mill, what they wanted to know what what skills I learnt from my past jobs I could apply to a new position working in a mill. For me, I had to dig deep to be able to make a connection between being a restaurant cook and a mill worker. I think I did a good job on that during my interview. I made several good points that made an excellent connection between the two jobs that made them seem very similar even though they were totally different.

For example, in the restaurant, I would be preparring several different orders at the same time-----Skills learned that could be applied to the mill job would be multitasking In the restaurant, I'd be working in extreme temperatures over a hot stove flipping knives around and such in a safe manner------Skills learned would be Safety in the workplace In the restaurant, I was expected to fill my orders in a timely manner-----Skills learned would be Production targets.

I could go on and on about this but my point is that you have to look at this as a sales pitch. You've worked in sales for quite a few years now. So, now it's time for you to sell yourself. Don't just focus on the amount of jobs you've had, but what you've learned from those jobs and use that as your sales pitch. You're selling yourself now. What skills do you poccess that a potential employer would be interested in. Good luck!

Here's a decent website that gives good pointers on writing a resume.

http://www.howtowritearesume.net/default.aspx

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
AHHH!!!!! A Functional Format!!!!! :punk:
functional-resume-sample.gif

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't send that one in, unless you had a recent name/gender change you never told us about :mrgreen:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Had he told us, would we have noticed? :doh:

Very :censored: funny. Actually I dont think that format will work because everything online is chronological. Rats.... ok ok ok..... Im just going to do the last few years and cross my fingers.:wink:

elsmitro

floppy member
Bro, believe it or not I was once like you, completely undisciplined and unable to hold a job. The only thing that helped me was the Marine Corps, without it and my wife and kids I would be dead or in prison, probably both. Sure, you can join one of the others, but if you do you will always long for the pride of being a Marine. Spend some time with Bill Keller http://www.liveprayer.com/index.cfm You can let us know how boot camp went when (if) you return.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
completely undisciplined and unable to hold a job.

:shock::shock::shock: Im am FAR from undisciplined!!!!! :glare: Before I get into a huge paragraph, being in sales... interviewing for a sales position.... sometimes selling something in an industry you know nothing about and not getting trained on anything is not an easy thing. I will put my work ethic up against anyone else on this forum.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I get many resumes. I want to know accomplishments. I give a rat's ass what the applicant's general responsibilities are and what tasks they performed. I want to know what they did with that responsibility given to them, or better yet, taken on their own. How they held themselves accountable. What did they do that they truly thought was remarkable?

The resume posted would find it's way quickly to the trash can in my office.

And anyway possible, downplay all the jobs.

And if you do get an interview, no negativism about any previous job, boss, customer, project, etc,

D

darroll

If you have negative things on your resume, put it on the second page as I never read the second page anyway.

Darroll

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Sush, maybe this will help..........

Transforming Your Resume Into an Interview Magnet
By Abby Locke
If your job search campaign keeps netting you zero responses and you have been faithfully trying all avenues, you might consider re-thinking your resume strategy.

Your executive resume must be a strategic marketing document, not a career obituary or a string of job descriptions. After all, the only way you can attract attention is to be unique and differentiate yourself from the competition. Imagine for a second that you were reviewing tons of resumes that all looked and sounded the same. How would you determine the best candidate?

To present yourself as the best candidate and the right solution for companies, your executive resume should tell the reader who you are, what value you bring, and where/how you have been successful. Old, traditional resumes told employers about the past; today’s executive resume must indicate how you can make a difference in the future.

Here are a few truths I’ve learned coaching over the years:

1. General, Non-Specific Resumes Get You Generic, Lackluster Results
    Know the saying, “Rubbish in, rubbish out?” Well, the same is true for executive resumes – don’t be fooled into thinking that a broad, non-targeted resume will provide you with greater opportunities for a wide variety of jobs. On the contrary, the opposite is true. If you send an employer a resume that says you excel in sales, HR, technology, teaching, and training – the only place your resume will go is in the trash pile.

If you have several job targets, create separate resumes. This way each resume has its own unique story aligned with the requirements, qualifications, achievements, and personality traits for each target.
  2. Four-to-Five Page Career Obituaries Are Not Welcome
    Sure, potential employers want to know what you have done over the years, but do you want to include the position you held 30 years ago (before the Internet was invented) to sell you for a job today? Even if you are an experienced job seeker with 20+ years of experience, you can still create an effective executive resume that highlights your key qualifications without choking the reader with pages and pages of content. Focus on the past 15 years by sectioning old jobs off into an “Early Career” paragraph.
  3. Concise Content Is Attractive
    Condense your overall tasks and responsibilities into a brief paragraph (no more than five lines) that gives the reader a snapshot of what you do. Bring it to life with vibrant action verbs, industry keywords, and quantifiable facts.

Avoid the overused, passive phrases like, “Responsible for the development of marketing plans for clients in the West Coast region." Instead use strong language and include at least five achievements for each position flushed out on your resume. All the while, remember to edit and limit the resume length to two full pages.
  4. Chronological Resume Formats Are Always Preferred
    Overwhelmingly, an executive resume in a chronological format helps the reader follow your career path and progression. While some circumstances may require a functional format, using it can suggest that you either have employment gaps or lack the required experience. Instead, use a combination format that blends the best features of both formats.
  5. Personal Branding Is Your Differentiator
    While your direct experience and qualifications help determine whether you are a strong candidate, you will need more to make you stand out. A strong personal brand and brand statement concisely capture your strengths, values, talents, and performance drivers; they enhance your executive resume by positioning you among peers and marketing you as the best choice.

For example:
    Senior Marketing Executive. Telecommunications & Technology Services. Driving operational initiatives that propel revenue growth, expand market share, and increase competitive advantage for startup, international companies.

Make sure that you communicate who you are, your areas of expertise or industry experience and your value proposition.
  6. The “Me-Oriented” Career Objectives Are Played Out
    It goes without saying that your objective is to find a job and yes, it is understood that you are most likely seeking positions that offer growth opportunities and fit into your long-term career goals. However, employers are not impressed by what you want. Instead, they need to be sold on what you can do for them. Lead off your executive resume with brand-focused statements of value that show employers how they gain from bringing you on board. More importantly, demonstrate that you are a money maker not just a money taker.
  7. Measurable Results and Performance Count
    For each position you held in the past 15 or so years, include concise “career success stories” written in the Challenge - Action - Results format. This helps potential employers see how you maximize your core skills and qualifications to solve problems and deliver results. It is also critical that you provide quantifiable, monetized evidence of your performance to really make your success stories come alive.
Don’t be afraid to sell yourself. Your resume is a selling document that conveys not just your experience but your confidence. Re-thinking your resume strategy is a tactical step in the right direction – the direction towards your next big job!

Abby M. Locke, Executive Director of Premier Writing Solutions, is a Nationally Certified Resume-Writer and Personal Brand Strategist who helps senior-level professionals and C-level executives achieve personal success with customized, branded executive resumes and career marketing documents. Her resume samples have been published in Top Notch Executive Resumes, Nail the Resume! Great Tips for Creating Dynamic Resumes, Same-Day Resumes, and Quick Resume and Cover Letter Handbook.

Cityboy

Banned
Sushi, why not join the Army? Seriously. Free training. Free college tuition. Get some discipline. Then your resume will be impressive after a 4 year enlisment. Heck, you might even decide to make a career of it. Plus FREE dental care!!!

art1_01.jpg

Did you know that there are over 150 different jobs available in the United​

States Army and that you get to choose your specialty?
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

bullet1.gif
Travel throughout the U.S. and world
spacer.gif

bullet1.gif
Enlistment bonuses of up to $40,000
spacer.gif

bullet1.gif
Up to $65,000 for student loan repayment.​

Are you ready to change your life? If you and a buddy sign up to join the army and qualify at the same time, you can go through Basic Training, Advanced Individual Training and your first Active Duty assignment together.​

Height/Weight Requirements
Males | Females

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Jeez, I didn't know they would take people 40+ yoa!
Sush, that's the best idea yet!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sushi, I know once you stated that CDW was your competition! Have you tried there? I know it may not be the best but it is what your good at and could be a stepping stone for you.

murph