• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Taking the plunge and buying a snowcat

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
My wife and I have decided to purchase our first snowcat and are hopefully that we have made a decent selection and paid a fair price.

We have purchased a 1979 Thiokol Spryte and deckover trailer. The cab seats 5 plus a small bed. It has a 300 - 6 cyl, c-6 auto , 2 speed OC-12 rear end. The rear diff has just serviced and had the axles replaced and brakes religned.

The tires and tracks appear to be in great condition and the custom interior looks pretty nice too. No blade or hydraulics, but equipped with a winch and inside controls.

We are in Washington and hope to get involved in the Snowcat Jamboree next month.

Are there any blue books on snowcats?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure there are blue books on any of the old snowcats but it sounds like you got a good cat!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the oc-12 was a good selection and Thiokol cat's were made with a lot of off the shelf parts so there Is still parts available. running petrol power one wants to make certain tour fuel supply system is in good condition. like boats every thing is boxed up with a lot of heat so any leak can translate to a fire fast I know of one that burned and the fire appeared to start in the engine compartment. take care of it sounds like a good rig have fun.

Nate b

So I don't know of any blue books, but if it runs and drives great and you paid less than $10,000 I think you did really well. Where in Washington are you and what kind of pictures have you taken of this beauty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
We are up in Skagit Valley, WA. I don't have any good pics yet but hope to this weekend. I'm in it a bit over 10K with some trades, but wasn't able to take advantage of summertime prices either. It's turnkey and includes a solid deckover trailer with new axels yada yada yada.

Last edited:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
looking forward to seeing it and meeting both of you. this is 2013 jamboree.
P1010115.jpg

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife and I have decided to purchase our first snowcat and are hopefully that we have made a decent selection and paid a fair price.

We have purchased a 1979 Thiokol Spryte and deckover trailer. The cab seats 5 plus a small bed. It has a 300 - 6 cyl, c-6 auto , 2 speed OC-12 rear end. The rear diff has just serviced and had the axles replaced and brakes religned.

The tires and tracks appear to be in great condition and the custom interior looks pretty nice too. No blade or hydraulics, but equipped with a winch and inside controls.

We are in Washington and hope to get involved in the Snowcat Jamboree next month.

Are there any blue books on snowcats?

If its the one I'm thinking of it has a weasel rear end not a OC 12 they a two speed the OC12's. Are not the weasel rears are fine

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
If its the one I'm thinking of it has a weasel rear end not a OC 12 they a two speed the OC12's. Are not the weasel rears are fine

Interesting.....:brows: The guy must not know what he had nor do I.....lol

I would appreciate hearing any good or bad about this cat based on what you see here. Should I be worried about the "Weasel" rear diff? What is it called? It is definitely a 2-speed rear diff w/ 3 speed auto transmission.

Here are the only pics I have so far taken from the previous owner. More pics to come.....

cf8fc175-a6ae-45e4-8778-38de416b79ef.jpg

1109361-1382741031-164830.jpg

1109361-1382741082-420270.jpg

1109361-1382741101-885841.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there isn't a thing wrong with weasel diffs weasels them selves had a love hate relationship. but the diff's were a good strong 2 speed unit with a nice high final drive ratio with their smallish drive sprockets they could hit 30 mph with a Studebaker flat head 6.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
One word SWEET ! Your in the game.... Where did it come from? What power plant ? No blade less weight to haul not a big deal unless you need a blade. If your under 15K your priced right as long as there are no serious track, tranie or rear end issues . Thiokol is a great ride but then I own one so i'm biased. Is it a good deal depends on what you want to use it for work / play .... PERFECT for the Snow Cat Jamboree ... Really looking forward to seeing it.